Tosh for a girl - yes I know it's unconventional...

Hello creative Berrys,
I posted a question last night about a front runner name for my baby girl who is due in [name_f]October[/name_f], [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] ([name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] for my mother who passed away). Got some great feedback but my husband reminded me of a name we were sort of crushing on a few months back. Tosh. In Danish it means strong Viking soldier, and is also a last name of a certain reggae artist from a few decades ago whom I also happen to love. My hubby is of Scandinavian roots so he likes the first meaning. We also like first names that aren’t very girly and that are simple, since we both have wildland firefighting backgrounds and are very much into roughing it in the outdoors. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] as a middle name is non-negotiable. Two middle names is fine. Tosh could be feminized as a nickname by calling her Toshi while she’s younger…I know this will be a hard sell for a few of you out there but thought it couldn’t hurt to get some feedback.

[name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or Tosh [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] ____???

Thank you for your honest feedback! Oh, and last name is [name_u]Mason[/name_u] if that makes any difference.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], nn ‘Tosh’?

All I can think of is Tosh.o, not even [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Tosh. It might have mn or nn potential- but I’d say no for a first name. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is beautiful! An I even prefer unisex, trendy [name_u]Finley[/name_u] to Tosh. Call her [name_m]Fin[/name_m], one syllable like Tosh.

I think of the British slang “Oh, tosh!” which is like “Oh, rubbish!” And no, I’m not British.

I think of the British slang “tosh,” which is like nonsense. And, no, I’m not British.

Haha, yep I forgot about the British slang word, maybe that’s why we stopped crushing on it. I’m not fond of elongating it to anything like [name_f]Natasha[/name_f]…and I was hoping, at SOME point, Tosh.O might not be a “thing” anymore :slight_smile:

I like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] A LOT better than Tosh!!

I too first thought of [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] Tosh and Tosh.0. Pardon my language, but he’s a jackass. A funny jackass, but a jackass nonetheless and not someone I would want my daughter associated with at all. I did like the suggestion of [name_f]Natasha[/name_f]. I actually know a [name_f]Natosha[/name_f], so maybe if you used that spelling it could get you even closer to Tosh. Personally, if your set on it, I would do something like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] Tosh or [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_f]Natosha[/name_f] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]. Good luck!

The meaning is pretty cool, and brings to mind Valkyrie and shieldmaidens and all that loveliness.

But just “Tosh” sounds pretty blah to me.

[name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is really beautiful - quite an unexpected combo.

I thought of Tosh.0, as well, and then I thought of the TV show Covert Affairs–there’s a Russian hacker whose name was [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], nn [name_f]Tash[/name_f] (pronounced like Tosh) who wore it really well. I liked it on her. I don’t really see the appeal of [name_u]Finley[/name_u] on a girl, so I like Tosh much better. There’s something about Tosh [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] that I like.

I’m not sure if you’re looking for ideas or not, but I’ve recently come across [name_m]Tilden[/name_m] for a girl, which I think is cool. It has that same sort of ambiguous appeal that Tosh and [name_u]Finley[/name_u] have, and I think [name_m]Tilden[/name_m] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] would be cool. Besides, if she wanted a girlier nn to go by, she could always use [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] (which I think is super adorable!). I’ve thought of it for my own list, and I don’t even like unisex/gender-ambiguous names, personally! I think it’s quite cool. [name_m]Just[/name_m] another option, if you’re still looking. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I like Tosh on a girl, there was a character on Torchwood called [name_f]Toshiko[/name_f] nn Tosh (she was Japanese) and she wore it brilliantly. That’s my first association - I’m British and the ‘load of old tosh’ phrase isn’t really used much any more. No idea what Tosh.O is and I’ve never heard of the people mentioned with it as a surname either.

I agree with [name_u]Ash[/name_u] that I don’t see the appeal of [name_u]Finley[/name_u] on a girl, I think Tosh [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] ___ is a lot more unexpected and actually rather nice. However, be prepared for people to mishear it as the boys’ name [name_m]Josh[/name_m], as I can see that happening.

Where did you find the Danish meaning for this word?

Tosh works fine as a nickname for [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] but if you don’t like [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], Tosh needs to be taken off the table.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] if tosh.o isn’t relevant in a few years, in the day of the internet, I wouldn’t want my child’s name associated with someone like him. With the click of a mouse, your daughter, her friends, and classmates will be able to find out about tosh.o and will associate it with your daughter.

I’m from Denmark and I really can’t find the name in our database (we might no longer have it legal database), but for me it’s kinda of phony. I wouldn’t use it on a girl, nonetheless on a boy. If you’d like a unisex name (Scandivian) I’d suggest looking up in their databases’ as we might have some gem hitting. And I think [name_f]Natosha[/name_f] could be a good way to get the Tosh.
I’ll suggest some unisex names from the Danish database.

Gry (dawn)
Lykke (luck)
[name_m]Ly[/name_m] (shelter)
Bi ([name_f]Bee[/name_f])
Ata

I prefer [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. Is [name_f]Rose[/name_f] significant to you? Could you drop that and have [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] Tosh? Its not half as lovely in the combo though.

Tosh reminds me of Tush(like a butt) and I can imagine boys calling her Tushy. Plus Tosh just reminds me way too much of Tosh.0 and doesn’t sound feminine at all! As a middle name is would be fine but not as a first name.

I found Tosh on this website: http://www.meaning-of-names.com/danish-names/tosh.asp. I know there were a few more sites, but to the person from Denmark who responded, thank you! It’s hard to tell what’s an authentic name anymore with basic Internet searches. I originally liked its simplicity and that it just so happened to (possibly) have a meaning that worked with my husbands roots.

I do still like it, but think for everyday use [name_u]Finley[/name_u] may be winning out. Thanks everyone for your feedback! Very helpful :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a quick glance at that site and it doesn’t look too legit.

I’m sorry but Tosh sounds like a fancy name for a sanitary napkin. :slight_smile:

Tosh is a great nn idea. Finley Evelyn Rose Mason or Tosh Evelyn Rose Mason: Do you like:
Natasha or Tasha?
Or:
Tosh Evelyn Quincy
Tosh Evelyn Kai/Kye(has many meanings-varies with each ethnicity)
Tosh Evelyn Lark
Tosh Evelyn Jade
Tosh Evelyn Jay
Tosh Evelyn Kyle(victorious)
Tosh Evelyn Juniper
Tosh Evelyn Oriel
Tosh Evelyn Li(in Irish it means poetic but there are many various meanings)
Good for you for branching out!!

I like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] a lot better. Also, are you guys considering any other not-frilly, simple names? [name_f]Wren[/name_f], [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], and [name_u]Grey[/name_u] (I know it’s usually reserved for boys, but I doubt this would a problem for you) are really great names in my opinion.