Tove

My husband and I love the name [name_f]Tove[/name_f], but neither one of us is Swedish where it is pronounced Tuw-Vah. We like the way it sounds in English rhyming with cove. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think we can go with the English pronunciation? I’ve never met a [name_f]Tove[/name_f] in the States and feel silly calling her by the Swedish pronunciation. We’re not sure if we are being ridiculous. I like the idea of calling her Tovie as a nickname. We also like the name [name_f]Isla[/name_f] but this seems to be such a hot name these days.

Here are our contenders:

[name_f]Tove[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Tove[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] (but concerned about teasing potential)
[name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Pia[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]

Thoughts? Help!

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] would be my favorite. I wouldn’t be concerned about teasing…

I think you can get away with [name_f]Tove[/name_f] (like [name_u]Dove[/name_u]) in the U.S. I’ve never heard of the Swedish name before. But, of the names you have up there, I like [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] the best.

You could also go for [name_f]Tuva[/name_f], which is another Swedish name that is pronounced TUH-wah. It might just be because I am used to the Scandinavian pronunciations of the name, but I simply cannot get around to the English pronunciation. In Denmark it’s pronounced “TOE-vuh”.

Of your combinations, I think that [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] is gorgeous.

As an American, I would never think to pronounce [name_f]Tove[/name_f] the way you described. What about the Hebrew name [name_f]Tova[/name_f]/[name_f]Tovah[/name_f]? It seems very similar in sound, and the pronunciation would be a lot more intuitive, at least over here.

I knew a [name_f]Tova[/name_f] pron. toe-vah, and it was a nice name.

I love [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u].

I’ve known a [name_f]Tove[/name_f] (prn. Toe-vay) so I’d have a hard time intentionally pronouncing it wrong. I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] it pronounced correctly and Tovie still works! [name_f]Tove[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] is great. I like [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] too!