Traditional African American name, Aaliyah

So, I was looking in a baby name book and I’ve come across the name, [name]Aaliyah [/name]. Now this is a name that my SO and I can agree to. We thought about, [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]. Thoughts on the name? I always thought the name was very pretty, and will grow on a child.

Any takers? Please and thank you.

[name]Aaliyah[/name] is pretty. Reminds me of [name]Amaya[/name]. Very feminine & sweet. [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Lydia[/name] is a bit L heavy for me. Not sure your style but how about.
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Cassidy[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]

It is a nice name however I wonder about the validity of it being an AA name because I know an [name]Aaliyah[/name], and she is [name]Indian[/name].

I actually find it really cheap and trashy, sorry. It’s use in the UK is the reason for me saying this, and you would often find most [name]Aaliyah[/name]'s in the more socially deprived areas. It is also considered ‘chavvy’ but I’m not sure how familiar you would be with this term. I can’t picture the name on any one over the age of about 10 years old and it doesn’t fit with the beautiful [name]Arielle[/name] and [name]Reina[/name].

I’ve met [name]Aaliyah[/name]'s of all different races so I don’t know about it being a traditional AA name but I do think it’s really pretty. I love the combinations [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] and [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Simone[/name] that @taz suggested!

My understanding is that [name]Aaliyah[/name] is an Arabic name that was popularized in the English speaking world, and particularly in the African-American community, by the singer [name]Aaliyah[/name]. I think it’s very pretty, and I think that the combination [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Lydia[/name] is absolutely gorgeous. I think that the assonance and the rhymeyness there really works for some reason. Unexpectedly lovely.

N

Very constructive critique. I’ll accept your opinion. It’s how you feel but, [name]Ive[/name] seen a lot of young ladies name [name]Aaliyah[/name] grow up to be beautiful ladies.

I think [name]Aaliyah[/name] is beautiful! It’s actually Arabic, but it has a long history of usage on African American’s here in the US. I personally think it’s a pretty, modern choice for a young girl. I don’t think [name]Lydia[/name] flows well with it, though - too many L’s and Y’s going on.

When I see it, I do think first of the singer [name]Aaliyah[/name] who died ( I think in a car accident ) several years ago. I think its pretty, but its not really my style.

I actually like the repeated L in [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]

It’s not a name I would use, but it is very pretty and I think it’s a great choice if both you and your SO like it!

I like it a lot! Unlike some I love the combination of the two names. But I do think it is true that it is not considered a ‘high class’ name, even though I am sure there are many exceptions. I absolutely love [name]Aaliyah[/name] the singer (she died in a plane crash).

My thoughts exactly. I like the repetitive sounds in [name]Aaliyah[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]. And not a bad person to share a name with. Beats [name]Beyonce[/name] any day.

This.
It’s actually prn [name]Al[/name]-li-yah. Not Uh-lee-uh. I know more arab/pakistani/middle eastern girls with this name than African American.

Honestly, I kind of think it is trashy, sorry. I really like [name]Lydia[/name] though.

It’s not a traditional AA name, in fact I’ve never met an [name]Aaliyah[/name]/[name]Aliyah[/name] that wasn’t [name]Indian[/name] or Middle Easten.

I’d assume you were a fan of the late singer, especially if you spell it that way. She pronounced her name “aw-leah” and the media and fans say “uh-lee-uh” but it’s supposed to be “all-ee-uh”

[name]Aaliyah[/name] is an Arabic word and [name]Aliyah[/name] is commonest spelling of the very closely related Hebrew word. [name]Both[/name] are used amongst Muslims and Jews (remembering of course there just ARE a lot more Muslims than Jews, to use any Abrahamic religious name, that’d be true of [name]Joseph[/name]/[name]Yosef[/name] etc. too).

I don’t find it trashy, but I’m Jewish.

However I know if I used it some people would perceive it as trashy/ghetto/kreative etc. Most people do not look up names, after all. I find it pretty and spiritual but I can’t expect everyone to agree.

Spellings like [name]Aleah[/name] and [name]Alia[/name] sort of kill it for me. It’s one of those weird times the y isn’t a kreative option.