Traditional classic with a laid-back country feel

I like all the classic boys names, but I also have southern Appalachian (Scotch-Irish) roots and I’m trying to find a boy’s name that best fits both (I’ll definitely use a nn). Any feedback on the following is appreciated.

[name]James[/name]/[name]Jimmy[/name]

[name]William[/name]/[name]Billy[/name]

[name]Joseph[/name]/[name]Joe[/name] (I’ve always loved [name]Joe[/name], but I’m worried that this name is much more popular in NYC/NJ than the Appalachian states)

[name]Thomas[/name]/[name]Tom[/name]

[name]Charles[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Henry[/name]/[name]Hank[/name] (I’m worried that [name]Hank[/name] seems like what we city-folk think of as a “country” name, rather than the real thing)

[name]Hugh[/name]/[name]Huey[/name] (I know this seems out-of-place, but [name]Hughes[/name] is a family name and this would be a nice way to honor. [name]Don[/name]'t know if it fits the laid-back image though)

Also, this is a weird question, but [name]Mack[/name] is actually a family name and I’ve always loved it. But I’ve never found a “legitimate” way to use it. Any way to do it that isn’t [name]Mackenzie[/name]/[name]Macaulay[/name] or some Mc____ name that I’d basically be fabricating?

So… which ones conjure up jeans and front porches?

I love [name]James[/name] as it is, [name]Jimmy[/name] is too babyish for me.
[name]William[/name]/[name]Billy[/name] – like a lot
[name]Joseph[/name]/[name]Joe[/name] – this has always been a favorite of mine, too
[name]Thomas[/name]/[name]Tom[/name] – love the name [name]Thomas[/name] as it is, [name]Tommy[/name] is a cute nn for the younger years. I have never been a fan of [name]Tom[/name].
[name]Charles[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name] – love!
[name]Henry[/name]/[name]Hank[/name] – love! I don’t think [name]Hank[/name] is too “country” at all
[name]Hugh[/name]/[name]Huey[/name] – I actually really like this.

Why not use [name]Mack[/name] as a stand alone name? A college professor of mine named her son [name]Mack[/name] – not short for anything. We all thought it was adorable. If I am remembering correctly, his name was [name]Mack[/name] [name]Oliver[/name].

I love [name]Luke[/name] for a boy… you can call him “Lukie” if you want, it’s a really cute nickname :smiley:

I love love love [name]Henry[/name] “[name]Hank[/name]” - that’s what I wanted for my son but I can’t get hubby to agree.

[name]Henry[/name] “[name]Hank[/name]” is my favorite!
I also like [name]Charles[/name] “[name]Charlie[/name]”.

What about [name]Malcolm[/name] “[name]Mack[/name]”?

I have a cousin who’s name is [name]Micaiah[/name] and he goes by [name]Mack[/name]. I think [name]Malachi[/name] would work too.

[name]Thomas[/name] “[name]Tom[/name]” is my favorite (actually, it is MY top boys name!), but I’m not sure it gives a country vibe so much as a mid-century nickname vibe. Ditto [name]Charles[/name] “[name]Charlie[/name].”
[name]Henry[/name] “[name]Hank[/name]” is my favorite for your purposes.
I really dislike “[name]Huey[/name],” though.

I love [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Billy[/name], and I’m even kind of liking [name]Jimmy[/name] at the moment. Another name like that I’ve recently decided I like is [name]Bobby[/name].

I love the Irish name [name]Cormac[/name] and you can have [name]Mack[/name] as a nickname. From your list, I like [name]Joseph[/name], [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name] in order of preference.

From your list, I really like [name]Hank[/name] and [name]Mack[/name] (like that on it’s own). Very handsome names, with lots of character.

My brother’s middle name is [name]MacDonald[/name]…(it’s a family name, not a fast food one) and goes by [name]Mac[/name]! I think it’s cute!

how about [name]Sam[/name]?
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Gus[/name]

[name]Just[/name] a few others…

Thanks for all the suggestions. [name]Mack[/name] is growing on me, I think. [name]Even[/name] though I like the suggestions of [name]Cormac[/name] and [name]Malachi[/name] (or [name]Malachy[/name]), I really like just plain [name]Mack[/name] - if it works on its own.

You’ve also turned [name]Hank[/name] into a contender, even though I was never wild about the name [name]Henry[/name] and the name barely made my original list. I had also forgotten to add [name]Edward[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name] to the list.

[name]Gus[/name] was my favorite name for a long time, but it’s fallen off the radar for me lately. Wasn’t wild about any of the formal versions ([name]August[/name], [name]Augustus[/name], [name]Augustine[/name], [name]Angus[/name], [name]Gustave[/name]…). Unlike [name]Mack[/name], I can’t justify using just “[name]Gus[/name]” by pointing to my family tree.

Oh I totally love [name]Bobby[/name], I’ve even tried to get [name]Bobby[/name] from [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Michael[/name], should DH want a [name]Jr[/name].

I love the nn “[name]Mac[/name]” too so one of my favorite names is [name]MacGregor[/name] even though it’s more used as a last name.

[name]Hank[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] are probably going to be my sons’ names, so I love those too of course.

[name]Cyrus[/name]/[name]Cy[/name] is very “laid-back country” to me. Or very “Persian royalty”, take your pick. :lol: