Translation Consultation Thread

I put a poll about this idea on the Writer’s Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u], and people seemed to like the idea, so here it is!
I was thinking about the most reliable ways to make sure that dialogue in other languages is accurate, and then I realized that Nameberry would actually be a great resource! There are so many different people on here, who are from so many different countries and speak so many different languages, that I think it could meet a lot of people’s needs.
So, if you are willing to help translate, please say what language(s) you speak, and anyone who needs a translation can say what they need translated.
I hope this helps you in your writing!

9 Likes

I’ll kick this off by saying that I am in the process of learning a few different languages right now, but am not confident enough in my fluency to risk translating something for someone else.

For a translation, I’d like to know both the Icelandic and the Norwegian words for shooting stars and for the northern lights, because I’ve found a different answer every time I tried to look it up!

2 Likes

This is such a neat idea for a thread! If anyone needs anything translated to Croatian or Serbian, I’m willing to help!

As for your question about Icelandic and Norwegian, maybe user Rosebeth could be of help as she speaks Icelandic. I think I don’t know anyone on here that speaks Norwegian, though.

2 Likes

Well… I only speak English. But if anyone needs help with music terminology, karate terminology, or basketball terminology, I can definitely help with that!

For any French speakers out there, basically in my story, there are five siblings who are stranded on an island, and there are these “pirates” that come (the siblings think it is someone coming to their rescue) and kidnap the eldest two sisters. Some of the “pirates” speak French (although it is a fictional world, these pirates nationality is the equivalent of our world’s French). So basically, can anyone translate some phrases like “Ah, a pretty one” or “she’ll fetch a good price”? Thanks so much!!!

1 Like

I can help with Icelandic. A shooting star is stjörnuhrap (literally “falling star”) and the northern lights is best translated as norðurljós. I can’t help with Norwegian I’m afraid.

3 Likes

I can help with a little Icelandic (although Rosebeth is your better bet - I’m rusty!) and I can do Māori.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I’m not fluent by far but I can help with Mandarin Chinese – also recommend MDBG Chinese Dictionary for individual word translations (however the page labelled “translate” just relies on Google data and isn’t great for grammar)

1 Like

ditto! ^ (can also do bosnian)

4 Likes

Same here ^

1 Like

feel free to private message me for anything greek!

2 Likes

Hawaiian, [name_f]English[/name_f], some [name_m]German[/name_m] & Spanish

2 Likes

i could help with german, my dms are always open

3 Likes

is it still relevant?

2 Likes

I’d say yes! I can do [name_m]German[/name_m], Irish, [name_f]English[/name_f] and Auslan (granted rusty in all except [name_f]English[/name_f] and currently learning Auslan) also I know Makaton quite well, bit rusty tho but picking up on it again easily!

1 Like

I am fluent in Italian (more) and Chinese Mandarin, I can help :sunflower:. I also have a decent Spanish.

2 Likes