Tree Name?

Was gazing aimlessly today and suddenly my husband’s train calendar caught my eye. REDWOOD Lines. It made me wonder if anyone names their son Redwood? I do like [name_u]Red[/name_u] as a nn and [name_m]Wood[/name_m] and [name_m]Woody[/name_m] too. [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering.

I kinda like it! Not sure I would use it or not but I would like to meet one! The nn [name_u]Red[/name_u] is too cute! :slight_smile:

It’s intriguing. I know a male [name_f]Sequoya[/name_f] ([name_u]Sequoia[/name_u]) who was named after the tree but never a Redwood! I kind of like the imagery of it but not any of the nicknames. I’m still torn on just how wearable [name_m]Wood[/name_m]/[name_m]Woody[/name_m] is for a boy…considering what it is slang for.

Perhaps it would make a fantastic middle name?

I love it! I tend to put nature names in the middle.

[name_m]Zane[/name_m] Redwood
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] Redwood
[name_m]Luka[/name_m] Redwood
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m] Redwood
[name_m]Eli[/name_m] Redwood
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] Redwood
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] Redwood
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] Redwood
[name_m]Seamus[/name_m] Redwood
[name_m]Cole[/name_m] Redwood
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] Redwood
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] Redwood

Yep, I think it goes well with a variety of styles.

I don’t see that as being a name at all. [name_m]Ilan[/name_m]/[name_m]Alon[/name_m] is a good tree name though.

Would be very interesting, esp as a middle.
I used to participate in a parent-run co-op preschool where there was a boy named [name_u]Oak[/name_u]. It suited him well—he was tall and sturdy for his age!

Oh, interesting! I do know three Sequoias, but have never heard of a Redwood. However, there seem to be plenty of Timbers running around in other states, so in a way, why not? Although my personal preference would be [name_u]Sequoia[/name_u] over Redwood.

I personally am not fond of using Redwood as a name, it just isn’t a name to me. But you could get real creative with Latin scientific names! Or ethnic names for trees!

Acer (Latin for [name_f]Maple[/name_f] tree)
[name_m]Acker[/name_m] ([name_f]Meadow[/name_f] of [name_u]Oak[/name_u] trees)
[name_u]Ash[/name_u] (Type of tree)
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u] (Type of tree)
[name_m]Beech[/name_m] (Type of tree)
[name_m]Birch[/name_m]
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u]
[name_f]Cypress[/name_f]
[name_u]Elm[/name_u]
[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] (born of the yew tree)
[name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] (type of hedge)
[name_m]Ivo[/name_m] (yew wood archer)
Javor (maple tree)
[name_u]Lennox[/name_u] (elm grove)
[name_u]Linden[/name_u] (linden tree hill)
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] (driftwood)
[name_u]Oak[/name_u]
[name_m]Oren[/name_m] (laurel or pine tree)
[name_m]Sylvan[/name_m] (forest)

I can’t see Redwood being used on an actual person. But I suppose there are worse names out there. I do love a lot of tree names, so why not? It would take some getting used to. I think I’d like it better as a middle name.

I think Redwood would make quite a interesting middle name - I wouldn’t be brave enough to use it at all though.

One name that is on the top of my guilty pleasures list that we loved so much that we did consider it was [name_m]Elwood[/name_m] - It might fit what you’re looking w/o being completely ‘out there’?

I think [name_u]Red[/name_u] is good, I wouldn’t use Redwood, [name_m]Wood[/name_m] or [name_m]Woody[/name_m]! You will doom him to neverending teasing with that name!

Fortunately, there is no he to doom! Not naming a son, just love words and names,

Bullying material, for sure.

Really? In a classroom with [name_m]Wrecker[/name_m], Striver, Dodger, and Bullet?

My first reaction is … What’s the last name?
Redwood [name_u]Green[/name_u]? Redwood White? Redwood [name_m]Hall[/name_m]? Redwood Trump? Redwood [name_m]Wilson[/name_m]?
The surname is really important and I can’t think of one that Redwood actually flows with.
It would be interesting if you gave us a clue about yours.