Trendy or Tacky?

OMG, I realized some days ago that I did and I am doing the same thing the Dugars do. When I met my husband, we decided to have regular and great names for our children. During my first pregnancy, we set up the name [name]Stella[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] for our little girl that was on the way. I loved the name and I loved even more when we realized that her name was [name]Stella[/name] [name]Sheridan[/name], Mrs. SS. During my second pregnancy, we picked a name that was more for a second name, [name]Roanne[/name], a combination of my godmother’s name [name]Anne[/name] and her son’s name [name]Roan[/name]. But it didn’t match with our first baby’s name. We picked [name]Sue[/name] for the first name. Third baby and I surely wanted a name that started with S. A friend of mine talked about [name]Sienna[/name] and we loved! [name]Baby[/name] girl was named [name]Sienna[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]. Right now, I am expecting our fourth child and our first son. His name will be [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Reynold[/name], since my husband’s middle name is [name]Samuel[/name].

I stopped to think that maybe I’m following the Dugars and naming my kids just like they did. I asked some relatives and friends, and they said it’s up to us, but some find it stylish and cool and others think it’s a bit tacky.

And you guys, do you think it’s o.k. or maybe I should try a different name with my fourth baby?
Is it trendy or tacky, or even better, is it (S)rendy or (S)acky?
Tell me your opinion.

If you were doing it simply because you wanted to match the initials, then it would be very trendy, but to me it seems that the names just happen that way and you like them.

I don’t see a problem.
You have:
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Sheridan[/name]
[name]Sue[/name] [name]Roanne[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Reynold[/name]

It’d be very “jarring” if you suddenly changed to a different initial. Unless you’re planning on have two more kids with have 3 S, and 3 another letter.

It’s fine to me. :slight_smile: It’s rather neat how it just happened.

In theory I find it tacky to use the same letter for every sibling, but when I make possible sibsets…
[name]Fraser[/name] and [name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] and [name]Walt[/name]
… it just happens! I think I have a subconscious love for alliteration. Your kids’ names are all gorgeous (especially [name]Sienna[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]), and I think its totally endearing how you accidentally did this. Plus it would have been weird had you stopped in the middle.

I think it’s fine! Some thing alliteration is tacky, but I honestly don’t mind it (unless you have 20 kids like the Duggars do, which is where it gets a bit weird). [name]Stella[/name], [name]Sue[/name], [name]Sienna[/name], and [name]Samuel[/name]/[name]Sam[/name] are really cute together and I don’t think it’s tacky at all, especially with the meaning behind [name]Samuel[/name]! Good luck!

I really don’t mind it. If you do want to break the pattern, it’d be ideal to do it with a boy. That way you can say all your girls’ names start with an S and your boys’ names start with another letter. If you plan on having more I’d break the pattern to avoid it becoming corny. If you don’t plan on having more I say stick with [name]Samuel[/name].

Not just a Dugger thing, people have been doing this forever. It’s not my style, but I don’t think of it as ‘trendy’ either.

Ditto in full.

I dont believe it is trendy or tacky. My nephews have that [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]. And then my other nephews [name]Diego[/name] and david. So like a previous poster said its not a new thing.

I think a fourth kid would feel left out if they were the first one without the matching initial thing. My siblings had matching first initials as a kid and I felt left out sometimes.

I don’t think having the matching initial is automatically tacky, its what you pick for names. There’s tacky names and good names for every letter. What peeved me about the Duggars is they saw fit to name a girl [name]Jinger[/name] (said like [name]Ginger[/name], but spelled wrong) before they’d used [name]Jane[/name]!

Regardless of my own feeling on alliteration, I don’t think you should “try a different name”/initial. With three S children, you are locked in. Kid #4 could feel like an outsider without an S name, and if you have more than four it will be obvious that you just changed your mind at some point. It’s all or nothing, and you’re on the “all” track.

The Duggars hardly invented sibling alliteration – this is something people have been doing forever. Which means it can’t be trendy, if only because of longevity.