trendy vs classic

well this might sound like a no-brainer at first, but it’s actually something i’m a bit conflicted with. I personally believe that young girls prefer to have “trendy” names, like back then it was [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] and [name_f]Megan[/name_f]. In the near future it might be [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u]. At least those were the kinds of names I thought were cool in middle school. vs having “boring” names like [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

My list of girl names is jumbled with both. I have really classic names like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and really trendy names like [name_u]Teegan[/name_u] [name_u]Skye[/name_u]. The classic names feel safer to use, but also look really plain and boring by comparison. wdyt?

I find it difficult to generalize girls so easily because personally, when I was a kid, I really hated my trendy sounding name. I placed a lot of value on names that had generational meaning or historical significance or that were simply diamonds in the rough. I felt like my trendy name didn’t do my personality justice and instead its popularity connected me to a ton of peers that I had nothing in common with. I wanted to stand out in my own way and I felt that my name gave a wrong first impression of who I really was inside. So when I was younger, I dreamed of being named [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Leila[/name_f], and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]. (I still feel drawn to [name_f]Edith[/name_f] but I feel that it is too late for me to make such a drastic change). Some of these names contain elements that are slowly rising in popularity today, but when I was younger, they were unheard of in my surroundings.

I would argue to go outside of the box when it comes to classic names. You are right, classic is [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. But “classic” can also contain [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Leona[/name_f], and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. Maybe the happy medium for you would be to look for names that have classic, solid appeal but also tap into a playful and inventive side. While I admit I never did pine after [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] or dream of being called [name_f]Rose[/name_f], it’s because they were just as ubiquitous as the trendy names I felt no connection to. You don’t have to feel confined at all when it comes to names. Often, there is a sweet spot.

I definitely think it depends on the girl. Everyone has their own definition of what’s “trendy” and what’s “classic” to some extent, but the name [name_u]Teegan[/name_u] is ranked in the 200’s on the popularity scale (the [name_u]Teegan[/name_u] spelling you picked isn’t even ranked), whereas [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is #87. One could make a case that [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is the more trendy name, since it’s more popular, and statistically it’s more likely that there will be two Alices in a class as opposed to two Teegans.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] pick names you love. There’s no guarantee your child will love their name no matter what you pick for them. If you think classic names are boring, don’t use them. There were 9,656 babies named [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] in 2015, compared to [name_u]Riley[/name_u]'s 5,707. If you researched these names based on statistics, I think you might be surprised at how popular some alleged trendy names actually are; same goes for the classic names.

I always wanted the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], even in middle school. So not all girls want a trendy name.