Tristan?

Thoughts on [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] both in general and more specifically what do you think of it for a girl?

Its all boy for me. But i do like it.

Nope, all boy.

I’ve always liked the sound of it for a girl, but the meaning is not very desirable. The [name_m]French[/name_m] meaning is “full of sorrows.”
If you like that for a girl, you might like:

[name_u]Tierney[/name_u]
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
[name_f]Taryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m]
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
[name_u]Seren[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Rhian[/name_u]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is all boy to me.

I love boy names on girls. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] especially has the right sound to go either way. I say go for it.

I can see how, on the heels of the Divergent series, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] could be seen as more usable for girls with the [name_u]Tris[/name_u]- sound, but I see it as very masculine.

I just think there’s no good reason to use such a solidly male name for a girl when there are so many lovely feminine and even unisex options. And especially when your list seems to include a lot of beautiful classic girls’ names, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] would be an eyesore.

If you like the idea of [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], you may want to just consider [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “Triss”. It would go wonderfully with [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], and [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f].

Lots of other commenters saying [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is all boy for them, but I know three female Tristans [name_m]IRL[/name_m] (all relatively young, as well) and find the name quite charming on a girl. [name_f]Trista[/name_f] is definitely an option if you like the sound but want a more traditionally feminine ending.

My thoughts exactly!

I have a cousin who named her little boy [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], so boy is what I think of first. But, I think it could be totally wearable on a girl.

Thanks for the opinions guys!

While I can see how it would also work for a girl, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is definitely a boys name to me. I was actually just trying to prove something to my partner. His name is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and while we’re not currently expecting or TTC he has been insistent for a long time that whether we have a boy or a girl in the future we will name them [name_u]Tristan[/name_u].

So along with it being weird to have a daughter with her father’s name I was trying to show him that [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is more boy than girl.

I actually thought I had squashed this daughter named [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] thing ages ago when I agreed to consider [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] for a boy (so I can call him [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]) but suddenly he’s brought it up again. I am not having a daughter who he refers to as “[name_m]Junior[/name_m]”!

I am in minority here, but I really like [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] on a girl. I view it as a unisex name, I know one female [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and three male Tristans. So yes it is obviously more common as a boy name, but I do think it’s perfectly usable and lovely on a girl!
I see that’s not exactly the issue here tho, and that may not be what you want to hear! I hope you and your SO can get this name thing figured out (it’s hard, finding a name that two people completely agree on!).

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] makes me think of a boy, but I could definitely see it on a girl! However, I have a cousin named [name_f]Trista[/name_f] and I think that’s a nice name as well.
I like the suggestion of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “Triss,” but I say if you love the name you could for sure use it.

Did you manage to convince him that [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] doesn’t work on a girl then? It’s definitely all boy to me as well. Like others have suggested, maybe he’d go for something like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] ‘Triss’ as a way of naming his daughter after him. That would be quite sweet.

No, he just laughed at me for asking random people on the internet’s opinion.

While I don’t love [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] for a girl if it wasn’t his name but simply a name that he loved I would consider using it, and I don’t mind using it as a middle for a girl but he thinks it is perfectly normal for a girl to have the same name as her father.

I like the idea of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], nn Triss, but I really don’t like the name [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I’m just going to have to stick to my complete and utter refusal to name a girl [name_u]Tristan[/name_u].

I love [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] for a boy, but don’t really like it for a girl.

Sorry, I 100% take your husband’s side.

It’s 2017. I don’t feel a child’s sex should rule whether or not they get to be honored by a family name. And [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is almost like [name_f]Kristen[/name_f].

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is all boy to me.

I know a [name_f]Tristana[/name_f] – always thought her name was lovely.

I’ve only met boys named [name_u]Tristan[/name_u], and I’ve never even heard of a girl with the name. It’s 100% boy to me.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] on boys, and it’s one of my favorite boy names of all time. In fact, I really dislike it, almost to the point of downright hating it on girls. Yeah yeah, I know, it’s 2017 and everybody wants to make everything unisex, but I just…really hate the thought of using [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] on a girl.

You also said that your husband’s name is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]. Is he completely fixated on the child having his name? As much as I love the name [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] on boys, I’ve never been too keen on kids being a [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. Maybe use [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] as a middle name?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about Triana for a girl?

@bananaz I don’t want a daughter with the exact same name as her father. I don’t care that it’s 2017, if I was called [name_m]Robert[/name_m] because it’s my dad’s name I would be pretty upset.

@creepereye He is pretty fixated on it, I actually think it’s kind of weird that he’s so determined. I really don’t like the idea of a [name_m]Jr[/name_m] but I’ll consider it for a boy and strongly encourage people to go by his middle instead of calling him [name_m]Jr[/name_m] but I like much more feminine flowy names for girls.

I made joke a few months ago about having children [name_u]Kristan[/name_u] and [name_u]Tate[/name_u] (we’re [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f]) and his response was, “I like [name_u]Kristan[/name_u] because it’s basically my name but [name_u]Tate[/name_u] is not a good name”. While he’s not narcissistic, he’s definitely in love with his own name!