Trying to love a name

I have two precious daughters, 3 and 1.5 years old. Each has one name I love, and each has one name I WANT to love. I’m a terribly indecisive person so name choosing was very hard, and I picked something I loved at the time but as time goes on or I see an option I hadn’t considered, I get restless about their names. For my oldest, it’s her first name, and the middle name for my youngest that gives me grief. I am perpetually “trying out” the sound or look of other options in my head, as if that’s a choice at this point! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Anyone experience this? Or have some helpful insight to how I might be still about this? I know it’s “just” a name but also, a name is so important!!

I’m sorry to hear you feel like this!

I’ve had the odd wobble like you describe, as well — I imagine every name-lover daydreams from time to time about the other names they could have chosen, or regrets the beautiful names they may never get a chance to use.

But what I always tell myself is that, ultimately, you named your child at a particular point in time and in your lives, and the name you chose reflects that. Your naming style may have evolved somewhat since — that’s normal — but you gifted your child with what you felt was right then, at that moment. And that’s precious and valid and meaningful all by itself, no matter whether you’d choose the exact same thing now or not.

What a bummer!

While if you really wanted to you could actually change their names, most likely you don’t want to. Luckily, you love your daughters so much that as important as their names are (especially to a name nerd!), you’ll appreciate your girls regardless of their names. The older they get and the more developed they become as human beings, you may grow to love their names BECAUSE they represent your daughters - their names may change in your eyes to become things you love because they are attached to the people you love.

I know, easier said than done, but over time hopefully this will ring true.

I just saw both your replies. Thank you for your kind words! :slight_smile: