Trying to narrow my boys' list...

I have my girls’ list narrowed to a nice, even top 10, and I’d like to do the same with my boys’ list. The problem is, I have about 16 names on my short list, and I’ve been trying to eliminate some of them for weeks! I seem to love them all equally.

I have a set top 6 ([name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], and [name]Brody[/name]), but, more or less, the others appeal to me pretty much equally. WDYT of these as first names, and which work best with my top 6?

[name]Boone[/name]
[name]Booker[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name] “[name]Beck[/name]”
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]

Booner, [name]Booker[/name], and [name]Lincoln[/name] have historical significance, and [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] have literary significance to me. [name]Beckett[/name] honors family… Right now, I’m not too concerned with names that could be too matchy (like [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name], or [name]Brody[/name] and [name]Bailey[/name]), since the likelihood that I’ll have 10 children, much less 10 boys, is pretty slim. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

If I were to choose 4 from your list, I would choose these in this order:

1. [name]Zane[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this name, hubby says no
  2. [name]Boone[/name]- On my list if baby number 2 is a boy
  3. [name]Lincoln[/name]- not my favorite name, but i kinda like the nn potentials of [name]Linc[/name] and [name]Cole[/name].
  4. [name]Beckett[/name]- I prefer [name]Bennett[/name], but [name]Beckett[/name] is nice too.
    The others are all fine, just not my style. I grew up with an [name]Avery[/name] that was a boy, so to me that name is all boy, and always will be, but I have never liked it that much. [name]Booker[/name] is intriguing, but I’m not sure I would ever use it. I kinda trip over the K when I say it, plus we have a ton of books, and we love reading, so I think it is just too close to a word we use every day (the same reason I couldn’t use [name]Reed[/name]). By the way, I absolutely love [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Everett[/name]. I wanted to use [name]Caleb[/name] forever, but it got stolen. [name]Everett[/name] is my son’s name, so I am definitely biased toward it :wink:

Thanks! The whole book thing is most of [name]Booker[/name]'s appeal to me… I’m a huge fan of surnames, but then there’s the [name]Booker[/name] T. [name]Washington[/name] association, and then my huge obsessions about books, lol. I have been a bookworm since I can remember, pretty much, and I was a writing student in college, and hopefully I’ll be a novelist one day, too, so it holds a lot of meaning for me. Still, I’m not sure about how it compares up to the other “B” names–I’m not sure I want to keep them all, but I’m not sure which ones to nix. I’ve definitely loved [name]Bailey[/name] for the longest, but I love the association to [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Boone[/name], and I love that [name]Beckett[/name] would honor my sister (although, so does my [name]Bailey[/name] combo…).

I would add these to your list:
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]

[name]Boone[/name] - Really don’t like.
[name]Booker[/name] - Also really don’t like.
[name]Beckett[/name] “[name]Beck[/name]” - I’m not the biggest fan but if there is significance, then it’s ok for me.
[name]Zane[/name] - [name]Love[/name]!
[name]Henry[/name] - [name]Love[/name]!
[name]Avery[/name] - I really love this on a boy! But I’m afraid it’s been taken over by the girls if that bothers you.
[name]Bailey[/name] - Really don’t like this name on a human. I knew so many dogs growing up that had this name.
[name]Lincoln[/name] - It’s ok. NMS but cute.
[name]Spencer[/name] - Like!

I would choose [name]Booker[/name], [name]Zane[/name], [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Avery[/name] - those four actually clearly stood out to me as the best. I love [name]Booker[/name] for the historical associations and bookish vibe, love [name]Zane[/name] for its playfulness. [name]Henry[/name] is so classic and handsome, and [name]Avery[/name] is so sweet.

I also like [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Spencer[/name], but none of those wow me like the others. [name]Boone[/name], to me, is more T. [name]Boone[/name] Pickens than [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Boone[/name] now, and that’s not a good association to me. I’ve only known girls and dogs named [name]Bailey[/name], and I’m just not a fan.

I really like your top 6; [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Grayson[/name] and [name]Brody[/name] - they go really well together.

I’m not keen on [name]Boone[/name] or [name]Booker[/name] as FN’s and to be honest they seem a little out there with your set top 6.

[name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Spencer[/name] stand out the most and are the ones I immediately thought fit into the top 10. I could definitely imagine [name]Lincoln[/name] or [name]Spencer[/name] being a sibling to any of the names in your top 6.

With 2 spaces left I think [name]Henry[/name] would get one of them, and then it’s between [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Bailey[/name] . I think I would go with [name]Bailey[/name], even though I don’t like it that much it just seems to fit in nicely and I can’t see [name]Asher[/name] and [name]Avery[/name] together, something about that really irritates me!

So here’s my top 10 for you; [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Henry[/name] & [name]Bailey[/name]

I’m voting for [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Avery[/name] & [name]Spencer[/name]. Great names!

Thanks, ladies!

I think I’ve decided that [name]Bailey[/name] and [name]Spencer[/name] are staying, and [name]Booker[/name] is out. That still leaves six names to choose from for the last spot, though! urgh. [name]Avery[/name], [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Boone[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Lincoln[/name], and [name]Zane[/name].

I think [name]Zane[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] are the best fits.

My favorites are:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Boone[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]

I would keep [name]Beckett[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] for the last spot. They are all really nice but those two are the best fits with your style.

Well, maybe something you want to think about is like if the name would help the boy fit in. This boy might one day need to introduce himself to a lover, and the name could mean all the difference. I like your way of thinking and all those names are wonderful. My favorites from that list are [name]Henry[/name], [name]Avery[/name], and [name]Lincoln[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] this helps! :slight_smile:

lol, the last thing on my mind is how my son would feel introducing himself to a future girlfriend! I guess it’s a valid concern, but I’m more concerned with how my son would feel introducing himself to a future professor or boss, rather than a girlfriend. If his girlfriend truly loves him, she’ll accept him, name and all!

I don’t really think any of them would be truly embarrassing to have, though–maybe [name]Bailey[/name], but I love it so much for a boy that I might be willing to use it anyway… I’m still torn, but I’m thinking that [name]Lincoln[/name] might be the next one to go. I absolutely love it and the association to President [name]Lincoln[/name], but it’s starting to feel a bit bland. I think [name]Lincoln[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name] might be too close for siblings, too, and [name]Liliana[/name]‘s on my short girls’ list.

[name]Lincoln[/name] or [name]Henry[/name].

Although [name]Henry[/name] would make a nice mn for some of your first 6 too if you choose [name]Lincoln[/name] for the last spot.

:slight_smile: [name]Cris[/name]

Thanks! I’ve decided to keep [name]Avery[/name], and it’s down to [name]Beckett[/name] and [name]Boone[/name] for the last spot. I absolutely love all the rest, but I had to cut something. :frowning: