Ttc 2015

[name_m]Even[/name_m] as a second time mom that is a rough subject! We found out with [name_u]Jem[/name_u]. But this will probably be our last, so I’m undecided if ill want to find out again or not. I tried to convince DH to do it completley different this time. With [name_u]Jem[/name_u] we found out as soon as we could and also had a set name. I sort of want to not find out and have a list of names and decide once he/she is here!

But he won’t be easy to convince on that. Too impatient. And I hear that with an older child it is nice to be able to talk about either ‘your little brother’ or ‘your little sister’.

I am totally not a fan of the unknown either. But I look back now and the whole naive-ness (haha) about it… It is something special. The birth classes, the endless hours of reading and research. I don’t know how to explain it, I guess I’m just nostalgic about it :slight_smile: My labor was nothing like I planned. Having a newborn was nothing like I could have imagined. Despite all the planning and reading, nothing has gone how I thought it should, yet it has just been the most awe inspiring, eye opening experience. I’m sure it never ends- motherhood is a never ending journey, after all! And every child is a new adventure.

I have been waiting for this thread!! I’m so excited to join. My DH and I were originally going to wait another year or so, but a while ago we asked ourselves, “What are we waiting for?” so we’re going to start sometime next year–likely early.

As for an introduction, I’m in my mid-20s and have been married for 2 years but have been with DH for 9–high school sweethearts. :smiley: We’re both in jobs we love. I work in childcare and all those little guys are making me clucky! This will be our first child. We’re both excited and a little nervous too. DH has been surprising me these last few months as he was the one who was more nervous about having a baby, but he’s done a complete 180 and has been saying for months, “Can’t we just start now?”

We will definitely be finding out the gender when that time comes! I am way too impatient not to. It would be like having a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] present sitting under the tree unopened for nine months. Couldn’t do it. :wink:

@northernlights, I’m the same way with finding out the gender! I have so much respect for people who wait to hear when the baby is born; I just can’t do it! My sister-in-law’s have 8 kids between them and each one has been a delivery room surprise.

I’m sure when the day comes I will find out. I am a planner and I will want to start decorating the nursery. It will still be mostly neutral but I can work on some girly DIY projects if I know it’s a girl, etc. Also, I work in radiology with access to friends/coworkers who can scan me at a moments notice so that right there would be hard to restrain myself from! I would still like to have it be a surprise in the sense that we could have cupcakes made or do a gender reveal photo shoot of some sort, those are cute.

We did a gender reveal party with [name_m]Konrad[/name_m] and it was so fun! We didn’t know until we opened the box and blue balloons came out. There are so many cute things you can do to “reveal” the sex. @lainy how nice that you have the availability of your radiology friends! It would be nice just to see your LO pretty much whenever you want!

meyera–I love the gender reveal parties! It’s so sweet to see everyone’s faces. A friend of mine did it with the balloons, too, and a mutual photographer friend got the most beautiful pictures of her and her husband’s reactions while surrounded by pink balloons.

DH and I are the opposite of most couples. He wants a girl and I want a boy. But of course we’ll both be thrilled either way when the day comes!

Babylove- I am jealous of you guys that have been through this before. I constantly alternate between being extremely excited and absolutely terrified. It’s in part because I’m just a worrier by nature. But my mom had lots of complications with me and my brother, too, which makes it even easier to worry.

Gender reveal parties look like so much fun! I don’t know if we’d do one or not just because my family lives ages away and likely wouldn’t be able to make it, but who knows… maybe!

@ccomp: My DH used to only want girls–he said “no boys allowed!” He’s changed his tune though now that we have a few boy names we can agree on, so I think for the first one we’re both excited for either gender now.

Ahh yes, gender reveals! I wanted to have the OB write the sex and put it in an envelope, then bring it to a baker and have them make either a pink or blue cake. Then we would cut into it with the grandparents and some friends. But my mom didnt come in for a few days after the ultrasound and DH couldnt even wait that long! So we found out there and kept it a secret till the party. I made cupcakes with blue frosting and mustaches, put them in individual boxes and had everyone open the boxes at once. It was awesome!

@ccomp- i think i will worry just as much with #2 as i did with [name_u]Jem[/name_u]! Im a worrier too! But it is nice to have ‘been there done that’ and know what to expect with some things as far as pregnancy and birth goes. I guess this time around i know what is worth worrying about and what isnt!

We are hands down finding out! But we have tossed around the idea of doing a gender reveal party with close family and maybe a few friends. I would not have enough patience to not know! Plus I like just focusing on one gender with nursery theme, names, attire etc. I feel not knowing would stress me out more.

I agree with you 100% scarletsway, especially on the names! I’m hoping for a boy, that name is set in stone and I won’t even have to worry about it. For a boy nursery I am obsessed with arrows, I don’t even know why!

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] I’m not the only one thinking about nurseries! If we have a boy (and maybe if it’s a girl), we’re probably doing a robot theme. We were inspired by a local artist who does the coolest paintings–redrocketfarm

love the themed nursery ideas! Robots are cute, we did a “space” theme for DS’s room. Kind of similar!
@northernlights, we facetimed/skyped friends who were out of town for the Gender Reveal. That’s an option for you, maybe!

I definitely want to be surprised in the delivery room! I just always imagined finding out that way, and my DH desperately wants to be the person to call out the gender, haha!

I used to only want girls, but when I picture having a baby, it’s always a boy first. I’d be equally happy with either. DH on the other hand, wants a little girl. So much so, that he refuses to acknowledge that a boy may come first, he’s utterly convinced that we’ll have a girl first. It’s actually really sweet.

We’ve already planned a blue and green nursery no matter on the gender. My favourite colour is blue, DH’s is green and we both love them together :slight_smile:

@Meyera, that’s a great idea! Hadn’t thought about that. Certainly an option. DH also suggested today doing a mini reveal for ourselves and filming it and sending everyone the video, which I thought was a good idea too. We’ll see!

We’re doing a castle/knights/fairytale nursery theme for either a boy or a girl. Both DH and I love fantasy/fairytales so it’s fitting. DH loves building stuff so he’s going to make a castle-like doll house and I’m going to try to get him to make bookshelves that look like towers as well. He’s already drawn up the plans for the doll house and is so excited about it.

Speaking of DH, anyone else’s partner have a skewed view about how long it’s going to take to get pregnant? Let’s just say he’s pretty optimistic and over-confident. I keep telling him statistically speaking it’s probably not going to happen right away but he doesn’t seem to believe me. I feel like he’s setting himself up for some serious disappointment!

Mine, absolutely. He was beyond devastated when we didn’t get pregnant this first month. He was utterly convinced I was pregnant, and I’ve never seen him so disappointed when we found out I wasn’t. This month I’m going to try to not talk about it as much, as I’m sure I didn’t help matters by talking about it anytime I got the opportunity.

Since we weren’t really trying for DS, he’s convinced this time it will take no time at all. I keep telling him not to take anything for granted and since we’ve never really TRIED, it might be harder than we think. He doesn’t think it’ll be a problem. Such a guy.

I’m so glad my husband isn’t the only one who thinks his “strong swimmers” will make me pregnant instantly! After the first week he was convinced I was pregnant. One morning I said something about not being real hungry/feeling a little sick to my stomach he was absolutely sure it was morning sickness…

yes, I am afraid my husband has a scewed idea of how long it may take as well. we didnt try with [name_u]Jem[/name_u], so actually, neither of us really know how long itll take! Im actually a little nervous about the timing of TTC. When we talked the other day we said this summer/fall. If we started in june and by some miracle it happened the first month, we would have another marchie and jameson would be 2. thats on the youngd though, as I’d like him to be closer to 3. I guess I am just nervous to wait too long and then it take forever to happen, and the age gap be larger than planned. But if we get pregnant right away, it may be too soon. [name_u]Jem[/name_u] would barely be one. id have a one year old through morning sickness (if I got it- I got lucky last time!). And a newborn and 2 year old! yikes. does anyone have any advice on how to try and time this to give ourselves enough time but not too much? should we just take a relaxed approach? sorry for the awful grammar and spelling. [name_u]Jem[/name_u] kicked my phone into the sink.yesterday (totally my fault) and now im on.this awful glitchy thing!

@babylove14: No real advice I suppose, but I thought I might be able to offer some reassurances–having a newborn and a two-year-old wouldn’t be easy by any means, but I’ve found it is absolutely amazing how much compassion and caring two-year-olds can show toward little guys! Where I work we have a range of age groups and the toddlers absolutely love the babies. We can sometimes distract them from tantrums with, “[name_f]Do[/name_f] you want to help feed the baby?” or “Could you fetch a toy for baby, that would be a big help.” I’m like you–I think I’d prefer about a 3 year age gap between kids–but seeing this has made me not so nervous for a smaller gap in the future if it happens.

Personally, I’d probably just try to be relaxed about it and say what happens, happens. You’ll likely adjust no matter what. =D If you’re super nervous about a smaller or larger age gap, though, you might want to weigh pros and cons of each and see what matters to you more. That way, you can either start when you planned and maybe get a small age gap, or push TTC back a bit and have a larger one if it ends up taking a while.

I’m so excited to be joining this thread!

A little background about me…
My husband [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and I were married this past summer, although we’ve been together for nearly 7 years now. We are both teachers, are in our mid-twenties, and are so thrilled to finally be ready to TTC! We actually started TTC in [name_f]September[/name_f], but no luck thus far (and like many of you, he was pretty disappointed when it didn’t happen after the first month as well!).

It feels so surreal to be TTC, after being a “[name_u]Berry[/name_u]” for so long, and for anticipating this time for even longer.