Twilight Names for your babies? Mean or not?

My friend recently told me that she wants to name her children [name]Edward[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name]. My daughter leaned up in the car and asked “aren’t those all twilight names?” To which my friend exclaimed “EXACTLY!” [name]Evelyn[/name], my daughter, and i just looked at each other. Neither of us thought this was kind. A few days later the same friend decided that she would cut her name list down. She instead wanted two boys and a girl. Their names? [name]Edward[/name], [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Bella[/name]. But it didn’t stop there. "Their full names, " she excitedly spilled, “[name]Will[/name] be [name]Edward[/name] [name]Mason[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and [my gosh, i am not kidding about this one] [name]Jacob[/name] [name]Black[/name]” That is when i decided my dear friend had gone too far. The worst part, she’s pregnant. What do you think? Are These Twilight names mean or not?

In a group, yes. I actually think the one thing [name]Stephanie[/name] [name]Meyer[/name] did well was name her characters, so I wouldn’t look askance at anyone using [name]Rosalie[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] or [name]Emmett[/name] (and obviously [name]Edward[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name] are popular names already). It’s really just the grouping of them together that makes it eye roll worthy. I also think it’s a bit odd to name siblings after a well known love triangle, but at least [name]Edward[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name] will not stand out too much. Now, please don’t let your friend see Hunger Games… [name]Katniss[/name], Peeta and [name]Gale[/name] might not fair as well :wink:

I don’t know that they are mean, per se, but terribly tacky.

Why would she wanna do that? [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Marie[/name] was on my list for a quite a long time, but no, I would never ever name my children [name]Edward[/name] [name]Mason[/name], [name]Jacob[/name] [name]Black[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Marie[/name].

Twilight names are so lovely, but I wouldn’t purposely do that… I does seem quite cruel. Isn’t [name]Bella[/name]'s full name [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Marie[/name]? And isn’t [name]Mason[/name] a part of [name]Edward[/name]'s name? I’ve never read the series, but it seems a million times worse to use the actual names in the series!

If I met a family and the kids were [name]Edward[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name] I would think they are all nice names. Since I’ve never read the books or seen the movies I wouldn’t make the connection right away. And I think in 10-20 years nobody is going to be talking about Twilight. I do think its a little silly to name all of your kids after characters, but definitely not cruel or mean.

The first names themselves aren’t bad names. But I think it’s way too much to not only use the 3 main characters names for your kids, but also their middle or last names (I assume that’s what that meant? Not into Twilight at all). It’s not just Twilight though… I’d think the same thing if someone named their kids [name]Harry[/name], [name]Ron[/name] and [name]Hermione[/name] or… I can’t think of another example right now. I don’t have a problem with using a name because of a movie/book/TV character, but that’s just way too overboard for me. I mean, I love Friends, but if I had 3 boys and 3 girls I’d never name them [name]Monica[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Ross[/name], [name]Chandler[/name] and [name]Joey[/name]. Too much.

Poor kids. Probably not a first though. Twihards be smoking something.

I love all the Twilight names individually and I don’t see a problem when people want to use one of them (like I see on here sometimes someone will say “I always loved [name]Alice[/name] but now it’s a Twilight name” and I think, its also really classic with much more literary history than Twilight)

But altogether like that and with the actual full names? Awful. That just makes a little sad.

My main thought is how these names ‘date stamp’ the children as from the Twilight era.
I know 18yo twins [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Bella[/name]- you can imagine their delight… they were pre-twilight naturally.
I wonder if anyone called their children [name]Peter[/name], [name]Susan[/name], [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]?

emiliaj

Yes if used together for siblings, and especially those three: [name]Edward[/name], [name]Bella[/name], and [name]Jacob[/name].

I think all of the names are very nice – when used alone. With the exception of [name]Renesmee[/name] because it is an invented name and sure to be a short-lived trend that probably won’t age well. [name]Edward[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Alice[/name], etc… all are long-standing, classic names with other associations besides Twilight. They’ve been around ages longer than Twilight, and will be around ages after.

I would use [name]Jacob[/name] OR [name]Emmett[/name] individually. I have liked those names forever. I will always like them. I would not do a group of names from any one pop culture show or book, I would pick my favourite name from it and move on for the rest.

Surely one likes at least one or two other shows or series.

It sounds like your friend was just messing with you. Is she 13? The good news is that unless she is pregnant with triplets, she’ll get to see that a real, live child is called his/her name every day. Maybe she’ll mature before she would have the opportunity to name more than one child. Also, she might not have gotten the memo, but you don’t actually get to choose the genders of your kids.

I know a someone whose husband, a middle aged man, is [name]Edward[/name] [name]Cullen[/name]. They prank calls out the time, lol. Poor guy.

I personally like some of the names and would use them. I like [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name] for middle names, but I don’t think it would be terrible to name your daughters [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name]. By the time they get older, Twilight will be consider a has-been.

All the Twilight names except the abomination that is [name]Renesmee[/name] were all established well before the series came along, so I don’t think any of the names scream ‘Twilight’ on their own. I’d happily use one of them, in fact [name]Edward[/name]‘s top three on my current boy’s list. But using them together is definitely a step too far, and especially with the characters’ middle names (if that’s what they are.) A little [name]Jacob[/name], or [name]Edward[/name], or [name]Isabella[/name] is fine. But not as a sibset, and it won’t be for a good few years.

No, Twilight names ([name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Bella[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Laurent[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], etc.) aren’t cruel.

[name]Renesmee[/name] is cruel.

It’s not cruel to give your child a name that happens to be from Twilight, (unless we’re talking about [name]Renesmee[/name]… I won’t even go there) but it would be quite strange (and come as a a tad immature, maybe) to deliberately give your children a “Twilight theme”. I mean, I like the names [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name], but I’m not going to let the fact a passing fad like Twilight used a name stop me from liking it or consider using them.

I don’t think it’s cruel so much as over the top. And this is coming from someone who isn’t ashamed to admit to being a Twilight fan.
[name]How[/name] old is your friend? If she’s still a teenager, perhaps she will change her mind by the time she has kids. If she’s really set on Twilight names, why not [name]Edward[/name], ([name]Mary[/name]) [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name], or [name]Isabella[/name], ([name]Mary[/name]) [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name], or [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], and [name]Rebecca[/name]?

I agree with [name]Annie[/name]. It’s over the top, but not cruel. The names are perfectly good ones, and once the kids grow up, Twilight will be old news and no one will realize they were named after vampires.