Twin B's Name

I had an ultrasound today for my twins. They are both girls! I’ve decided on [name]Irena[/name] for one of the twins… how do I decide who is A and who is B!?

So I either have:
[name]Irena[/name] & [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] & [name]Eloise[/name]

or we could have:
[name]Eleanor[/name] & [name]Irena[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] & [name]Irena[/name]

Yes, I realize [name]Eleanor[/name] is much more popular (top 200) than [name]Irena[/name]. I love both names equally and I’m ok with that difference. One of my friends said she thinks [name]Penelope[/name] (our older daughter) is too close to [name]Eleanor[/name]. Is it?

Also, both of our older daughters have flower names for their middle name. I’d like to continue this, but I’m not requiring it if I can’t find any that fit. The flowers we have already used: [name]Rose[/name] & [name]Iris[/name].
I’d love some combos! The first ones that came to mind were [name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] & [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]/[name]Begonia[/name]/[name]Lilac[/name]

I like:
[name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Irena[/name] and think they match best together.

So middle name ideas:
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Azalea[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Jacinta[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Bryony[/name]

Congrats on your twins. oh and people either choose their names in terms of A and B so A would be [name]Irena[/name] and B would be [name]Eleanor[/name]. Or they name them by birth order 1 would be [name]Irena[/name] and 2 would be [name]Eleanor[/name].

I love [name]Irena[/name] & [name]Eleanor[/name]! I feel like [name]Eleanor[/name] goes better with [name]Irena[/name] than Eliose, perhaps because of the “R” sounds in both names (though in different places within the name).

I also wanted to second your idea of “[name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name]” and the idea in the reply above of “[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ivy[/name].”

So, [name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] these names together!

[name]Hi[/name]! Congratulations!

[name]Eleanor[/name] isn’t too close to [name]Penelope[/name] at all. I personally like [name]Eloise[/name] better, but I think [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Irena[/name] is a better set. [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Irena[/name] are great together - what is your other daughter’s name? [name]Eloisa[/name] would be cute, too, if that isn’t too close to [name]Irena[/name]. Actually, [name]Irena[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] would be nice, too!

Okay, as for middle names, I think something vintage and classic is best. [name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Irena[/name] [name]Lily[/name], [name]Irena[/name] [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Irena[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]? [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Bryony[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Calla[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Flora[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Jonquil[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Tulip[/name]? [name]Eloisa[/name] [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Eloisa[/name] [name]Fleur[/name], [name]Eloisa[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name], [name]Eloisa[/name] [name]Lilac[/name]? [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Aster[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Flora[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Orchid[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]?

And, it doesn’t matter which is twin A and which is twin B. With me and my twin sister, my parents named my sister (twin A, she was born first) the name they’d always had picked for a daughter, even when my brother was born earlier. I got another name, obviously. So, you could alphabetize the names and give baby A the “E” name and baby B the “I” name, you could give baby A the name you picked first ([name]Irena[/name]), or you could see which one looks more like an [name]Irena[/name] versus something else!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I think [name]Eleanor[/name] may be too close to [name]Penelope[/name]-- both can shorten to [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Elle[/name]-- and maybe even too close to [name]Irena[/name]. [name]Eloise[/name] is lovely! [name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is very pretty, and I like [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Lilac[/name] a lot. What about:

[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Camellia[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Fern[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]

Hey, I was thinking about it, and since [name]Irena[/name] is pronounced with an “ee” sound - ee-REHN-ah - I wouldn’t go with another name with a strong “ee” sound for your other daughter. So, I take back my [name]Evangeline[/name] suggestion for sure, but I’m wondering if an E name is a good idea. Maybe I’m just being paranoid!

My favourites are [name]Irena[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] :slight_smile:

I can see where your friend is coming from with [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name]. It might not be obvious straight away but both can be shortened to [name]Elle[/name]/[name]Nell[/name]. Whereas [name]Eloise[/name] has a sound all of it’s own and is very beautiful and distinctive from your other daughter’s names. Out of curiosity, what is your other daughter called? I think you have fantastic taste in names and would love to hear the whole sibset!!

I really like the idea of more flower names, my favs are [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Azalea[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Amaryllis[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Jacinta[/name], [name]Calla[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Yasmine[/name], [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Heather[/name], [name]Camellia[/name], [name]Amarantha[/name].

Maybe

[name]Irena[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Yasmine[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Calla[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Azalea[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Lilac[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Camellia[/name]

By the way I love [name]Irena[/name] too :slight_smile: And love the meaning! Think I’d spell it [name]Irina[/name] though because I like the connection to the Russian play Three Sisters (she’s one of the sisters!). But either way is lovely!

Best of luck with your twin girls :slight_smile:

We currently have
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rose[/name] nn [name]Carly[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Iris[/name] nn [name]Penny[/name]
[name]Irena[/name] nn [name]Rena[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Ella[/name] (I’m slightly favoring that right now. I’m going to try out both names for a little wile though)

Thanks for the insight! I left the ultrasound and my first thought was “ok I have to pick a 2nd name now” and then I jumped to “well how do I know which one is [name]Irena[/name] and which one is [name]Eleanor[/name] and what if I give them them the “wrong” name”

We call our [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Penny[/name]. I can’t predict the future, but I can’t see her going by [name]Ellie[/name] or[name]Nell[/name] down the line.

I feel like [name]Irena[/name] doesn’t flow well with alot of flowers! I like [name]Violet[/name]. Then [name]Lavendar[/name] and [name]Lilac[/name] both sound pretty good with [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name]. Is that too much purple for middle names! haha

I like [name]Irena[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] alot! it brings the French sound to her name to match [name]Eloise[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think the double A ending in [name]Irena[/name] [name]Azalea[/name] is too much. It’s a combo that keeps coming to my mind.

I posted the other daughers’ names above.

[quote=“crunchymama”]

I like [name]Irena[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name] alot! it brings the French sound to her name to match [name]Eloise[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think the double A ending in [name]Irena[/name] [name]Azalea[/name] is too much. It’s a combo that keeps coming to my mind.

I posted the other daughers’ names above.[/quote]

I personally don’t think [name]Irena[/name] [name]Azalea[/name] is too much! But then it does depend on your last name. If that ends in an A then yes it would be but otherwise I think you could get away with it! I’m quite fond of double “a” ending names anyway :slight_smile:

I’m glad you like [name]Irena[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name], I love it and do think it goes really well with [name]Eloise[/name] though I know you’re favouring [name]Eleanor[/name] at the moment and that could definitely work too.

Your daughters have such gorgeous names! [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Irena[/name] are all some of my personal favourite names!

Does your husband have any favourites for the middle name slot or is he leaving it to you?

I love [name]Irena[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] together!

[name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] & [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] are my favorite combos.

Congrats momma :]

Any other thoughts about [name]Penelope[/name] & [name]Eleanor[/name] as sisters?

My husband doesn’t have much to say about names! He’s is pointing me more towards what he calls “normal” flower names though :slight_smile: That’s just us though. I’m crazy and he’s steady!

I was considering using the girl’s middle names as “their color”-- cause we all know alot of infants look alike…especially twins.
[name]Violet[/name] could be blues/purples
[name]Daisy[/name] could be white/yellow
[name]Marigold[/name] could be yellow/orange

With [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Iris[/name], I’d use [name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Poppy[/name], with purple being [name]Rena[/name]'s color and red being [name]Ella[/name]‘s color. Are you sure you want to use [name]Rena[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] as the girls’ nicknames? They are a little close, especially for twins…

I think those are lovely names for the girls! The only other name I can think of is [name]Vivian[/name], and something like [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] (red), [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Daisy[/name] (white, yellow), and [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Lilac[/name] (purple) are all gorgeous, especially with [name]Irena[/name] [name]Violet[/name] (purple) or [name]Irena[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] (blue), [name]Irena[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] (orange), or even [name]Irena[/name] [name]Clover[/name] (green). I just love [name]Vivian[/name] with [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], and [name]Irena[/name]!

Good luck!

Decisions Decisions [name]Lemon[/name]! Thanks for the thoughts! I’m relatively new around here, but I love reading your posts whenever I run into them on another thread!

They do seem a little matchy. However, [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Penny[/name] often sounds sing-songy to me when I call them together. [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Rena[/name] (I’m pron. that [name]REE[/name]-na) kinda has a similiar flow as [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Penny[/name] to me.

I could use the name [name]Eleanora[/name] and call her [name]Nora[/name]. I think part of my reason for being “stuck” on [name]Eleanor[/name], is I like the nn [name]Ella[/name].

I like the name [name]Vivian[/name] and it does match beautifully with my other girls names. Is the spelling [name]Vivianne[/name] too kreativ? I like [name]Anne[/name], [name]Viv[/name], or [name]Vivi[/name] as a nn. I’m going to try this name out w/ [name]Irena[/name] today! or maybe we’d spell it [name]Vivienne[/name]

The other thing I’ve been doing is going back to some of my favorite names or names I considered in other pregnancies (like [name]Eleanor[/name]) to see if I’m overlooking a fav. Here are the names I’ve previously had on lists (to give you an idea of what my style or multiple styles is)
[name]Felicity[/name] -don’t like any nn, maybe Lissy, but I don’t love that
[name]Evelyn[/name] - nn [name]Eve[/name], but it’s too popular and I don’t love it as much as I used to
[name]Imogene[/name]/[name]Emogene[/name] - nn [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Gina[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] - but I wouldn’t really use this w/ scarlett!
[name]Eudora[/name] - recently keep coming back to it, but I don’t love the nn [name]Dora[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] - don’t love it so much lately
[name]Vienna[/name]
[name]Estella[/name] nn [name]Stella[/name]** a good friend has a 3 yr old named [name]Estella[/name] (he kinda “took” the name from me).

I just said [name]Vivian[/name] w/ our last name and I don’t think it works. It starts w/ a C and ends with an N. it’s fairly short like that name [name]Canton[/name] for example. [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Canton[/name]

Hmm I love [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name] and [name]Viviana[/name] :slight_smile:

Maybe [name]Viviana[/name] would work better with your last name? But maybe you’d find it too matchy with [name]Irena[/name]?

I also love [name]Eleanora[/name] and then you have the choice of [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] as nn’s, depending which way you want to go.

Having said that, I think [name]Rena[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] are fine together. I know they’re both 2 syllables and end in a but that’s all they have in common. They have different beginning sounds, different inititals, don’t rhyme. I think it’s fine. I mean lets face it, there are probably twins out there called [name]Jake[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] so it really could be worse!

ljandrl - Good point w/ the [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Jake[/name]! lol I might be overthinking it at this point.
I just knew [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]'s names were right the moment I heard/chose them. I had the same feeling when [name]Irena[/name] popped into my head. So, I’m feeling uneasy now!

I did some searching for names today though. I might have a new favorite: [name]Tabitha[/name].
I previously pushed this name to the side because I was not fond of the nn [name]Tabby[/name]. Saw a nameberry blog where [name]Abby[/name] used to be a common nn for [name]Tabitha[/name]. I like the name [name]Abby[/name] alot.

Thoughts on [name]Irena[/name] & [name]Tabitha[/name] ([name]Rena[/name] & [name]Abby[/name])

[name]Hi[/name]!

I’m glad you like reading my posts. I like reading yours, too, especially since you’ve chosen such gorgeous names for your girls already! Since I’m a twin, I always like to pay special attention the the twin threads, you know?

I’m glad you like [name]Vivian[/name]. [name]Do[/name] I think [name]Vivianne[/name] is weird? Personally, yes. I love [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Annie[/name] as nicknames, too, but not for [name]Vivian[/name]. I’d only spell it alternatively as [name]Vivienne[/name], and I think [name]Vi[/name], [name]Viv[/name], and [name]Vivi[/name] are cute nicknames. I honestly am not bothered by [name]Vivian[/name] “[name]Canton[/name],” but if you are, then nix it, for sure! Here are my thoughts on the rest of your list:

[name]Eleanora[/name] - I think [name]Eleanor[/name] is better, and I, too, like [name]Ella[/name] more than [name]Nora[/name]. In fact, if you’ve read some of my posts, you might know that I’m not a [name]Nora[/name] fan at all. [name]Eleanor[/name] feels streamlined to me, whereas [name]Eleanora[/name] feels unnecessarily clunky.

[name]Felicity[/name] - This doesn’t feel as romantic and edgy as [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], and even though I like Lissy, I’m not sure this has the right feel, especially with [name]Irena[/name].

[name]Evelyn[/name] - Yeah, I see what you are saying about [name]Evelyn[/name]. It doesn’t make me swoon, so to speak. You might, however, like [name]Evangeline[/name] or [name]Evangelia[/name] instead, which have a more spunky, energetic flavor that matches [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]. [name]Eve[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Angie[/name], [name]Angel[/name], [name]Lina[/name], or even [name]Lia[/name] could work for nicknames.

[name]Imogene[/name]/[name]Emogene[/name] - I would definitely not spell this [name]Emogene[/name], as much as [name]Emma[/name] is a sweet nickname. I’d honestly only spell it [name]Imogen[/name], myself, and [name]Gen[/name] or [name]Genni[/name] are cute nicknames. I actually think [name]Imogen[/name] is perfect with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]!

[name]Serena[/name] - I have a pet peeve about using names that begin with the same letter, even though tons of people do it. [name]Serena[/name] is gorgeous, but it doesn’t have that quirky classic feel that both [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] have, in my opinion.

[name]Vanessa[/name] - Pretty name! But, I can’t say I love it. It works well with your girls’ names, but it feels slightly dated to me. Can’t say why…

[name]Violet[/name] - Yes, this isn’t so good with [name]Scarlett[/name], but [name]Viola[/name] is sweet! [name]Vi[/name] is a nice nickname, but what would you do about your flower middle name theme?

[name]Eudora[/name] - This feels a bit clunky to me, and I, too, am not a [name]Dora[/name] fan. What about [name]Eulalie[/name] or [name]Eulalia[/name] instead? [name]Lala[/name], [name]Lolly[/name], or [name]Lia[/name] are cute nicknames for those two!

[name]Ophelia[/name] - Oh, I love [name]Ophelia[/name]! I think it is absolutely stunning with anything, really, but especially [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name]. But, it doesn’t have wonderful nickname options as I’m not a [name]Fifi[/name] fan. Wait, [name]Lia[/name] is cute!

[name]Vienna[/name] - This reminds me of that girl from ‘The [name]Bachelor[/name],’ so it kind of annoys me. I’m not a fan of blatant place names, myself, so I wouldn’t choose this.

[name]Estella[/name] - Oh, I love [name]Estella[/name]! It’s gorgeous. There is the issue of another [name]Estella[/name] being in one of your friend groups, but it seems like you aren’t terribly close, right? And, you’ll be moving soon. Technically, they have no hold on the name, but would you feel a little less creative if you used it? It’s all about how much you love the name, you know?

So, off this list, I really like [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name], and [name]Estella[/name]. In fact, I think [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Ophelia[/name] are perfect with [name]Scarlett[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]. I’d also encourage you to consider [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Evangelia[/name], [name]Viola[/name], [name]Eulalie[/name], and [name]Eulalia[/name] - I still think [name]Vivian[/name] works beautifully, too. You also seem to have a penchant for V names, so something like [name]Valeria[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], or [name]Victoria[/name] would be nice.

In case you are still not sold on names for your girls, here are some I think pair nicely with [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Penny[/name]: [name]Allegra[/name], [name]Angelina[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Calista[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Cassia[/name], [name]Demetria[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Giselle[/name], [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Larissa[/name], and [name]Thalia[/name].

If you aren’t set on [name]Irena[/name], I think these make fine sets:

[name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name] and [name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] and [name]Giselle[/name]

Another thing about nicknames, before I go. You say you are pronouncing [name]Rena[/name] as “[name]REE[/name]-nah,” but I was pronouncing it more like “[name]REN[/name]-ah.” This makes me wonder how you are pronouncing [name]Irena[/name], as I was always under the impression that it was said as “ee-REHN-ah,” right?

[name]Lemon[/name]-- i have to sleep on some of this! I just wanted to say that the list of names I posted was not necessarily all things I like or would pick now! Since I re-discovered my love for [name]Eleanor[/name], I decided to rack my brain and remember names I considered for [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Penny[/name] (I actually found an old email where I told my friend I’d like to name my son…I’m freaked out even writing this… [name]Jayden[/name]!) I was really young and not a name nerd back then! I’m really not sure why I liked some of them!
I picked [name]Scarlett[/name] cause I thought it sounded spunky and cute. I didn’t really give it much more thought than that!

I’m pronouncing [name]Irena[/name] – i-[name]REE[/name]-nah I’m not 100% sure that’s right, but that is how I’ve seen it pronounced on some sites. Others say it is e-rein-uh or i-rey-nuh
Yes, I do feel slightly silly that I’m not really sure how to pronounce this name that I instantly loved. I really don’t even remember where I first heard it or why I started liking it. I found out I was pregnant and within a week, I was talking about the name [name]Irena[/name]. I have so many great choices right now. I feel like [name]Irena[/name] is limiting me (cause I don’t like how things sound with it), but I am not letting go of it.

P.S. I like your description of my naming style and preferences as quirky classic! That’s what I want for the twins too. Something that has character and is a bit quirky or spunky but not weird!