Twin for Rune?

[name_u]Rune[/name_u] [name_f]Naledi[/name_f] is known as a ‘lustris’, the thirteenth descendant of a seventh child, and his twin brother is the fourteenth – an ‘entros’.
‘Lustris’ is the term given to the heroes of the story, while ‘entros’ is the villains’ term. However, the entros part of the whole ‘lustris prophecy’ is basically unknown, so while [name_u]Rune[/name_u] grew up being told that he was destined for this epic journey, his twin grows up… listening to all of this, and being very firmly in Rune’s shadow when it came to that.
Both twins shone in different areas – [name_u]Rune[/name_u] in his maths and science and his twin in his art and writing – so there wasn’t any contention there, but the magic aspect ruined this in his eyes.
Um, I don’t have anything for physical descriptions, but there’s some things about the twins and such. They are not identical, though I’d like their names to still ‘match’ in terms of theme or something like that.

1 Like

This is a really interesting concept, I am intrigued! So is the young writer I live with. These are his ideas;

If Rune’s twin is going to fight the evil inside, maybe [name_m]Ward[/name_m] or Stave would work for his name? [name_m]Ward[/name_m] being a rune to protect keep evil at bay and Stave being an Icelandic rune usually used for protection. He says: “Staves…are more complex than Runes, this might link to the artistic nature of the twin.”
Another suggestion is Ogham, an old Celtic alphabet. It’s also spelled Ogam. Might make an original name choice and I think it sounds gritty enough for an antagonist, if that’s who he will be.

2 Likes

Tell him these ideas are great! Might not use them as first names – I see and have used [name_m]Ward[/name_m] as a surname and while Stave is definitely interesting, it feels rather along the sort of lines as word names like [name_f]Feather[/name_f] and [name_u]Flame[/name_u]. I’d probably use them on a character, but not in the first spot. Yes, I am aware that I’m calling the MC [name_u]Rune[/name_u], but that somehow feels more name-y? I don’t really know.
Like, I want to name a male character for a different thing [name_f]Music[/name_f] [name_f]Aristen[/name_f], although [name_f]Music[/name_f] feels like a really odd name to give your baby boy. It’s an odd name in general, but I like the idea of it being the first name even if it would realistically be better as a middle (and it’s also definitely more girl-nqme than boy-name, but that’s a different kettle of fish). But I have names such as [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u] and [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] on a list of names I’d like to give to characters, and I also have ideas like [name_f]Mystery[/name_f], [name_u]True[/name_u] and [name_u]Promise[/name_u]. The second three would go in a ‘middle name only’ sort of category, and it’s this where I feel Stave would lie – definitely cool to have as a name, but more out there than [name_u]Rune[/name_u].
As for Ogham/Ogam… I don’t know. I mean, I might use it on an antagonist, but it also feels a lot more like a surname than a first name, although that might just be me.
But yeah, they’re definitely great suggestions!

2 Likes