Twin girls: alliteration, matchy, MN, HELP!

[name]Hi[/name] all! I’ve lurked for a while but this is my first post.

I’m pregnant with twin girls (our first!). DH and I have spent a long time discussing names and we’ve settled on [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name]. [name]Both[/name] names are meaningful to us, and I love how the meanings of moon and sea are so intimately connected, in literature, mythology, and nature: how the moon pulls the tides and the sea follows the moon. I hope my daughters are as close as the moon and the sea.

I need y’alls advice on sorting out middle names! I have absolutely fallen in [name]LOVE[/name] with the combo [name]Marina[/name] Mayla. I’m not sure of the origins of Mayla, but for various reasons it is meaningful to DH and me. As soon as that name popped into my head, I immediately thought of [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]. [name]Lyra[/name] is the main character in a book series I adored as a kid; I love its sound; and I love the associations with music and stars.

However, I am concerned that [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] sounds too sing-songy. I was considering adding a second MN, such as: [name]Marina[/name] Mayla [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] [name]Belle[/name] (purely for flow). I feel like I want to add a syllable btw [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Lyra[/name] ([name]Marina[/name] and Mayla, at least, are different #s of syllables), as in [name]Luna[/name] [name]Belle[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]. (Does [name]Luna[/name] [name]Belle[/name] sound too much like a cow?) But my concern is that adding a name between [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Lyra[/name] breaks up the pattern.

So I guess my questions are these:

1. Are the names [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] too matchy? Is the connection too obvious?
  2. Is [name]Marina[/name] Mayla too sing-songy? [name]How[/name] about [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]? Taken together, as names for twins, is that too much alliteration? (I kind of like having the alliteration for them both).
  3. If you think those combos are too sing-songy, what could I do to break them up? What are some ways to make [name]Luna[/name] two syllables, either longer forms of one name or combos like [name]Luna[/name] [name]Day[/name] or [name]Luna[/name] [name]Bea[/name] or [name]Luna[/name] __.
  4. What if I did [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] Mayla?
  5. Am I crazy?

[name]Answer[/name] those questions, or ignore them completely and give me other feedback! Honest opinions appreciated, I will not be offended, I promise :slight_smile:

Thanks so much xoxo
J

I like [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] And [name]Luna[/name] Mayla

I am a big fan of alliteration, if I had twin girls they’d be [name]Melody[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. But I think flow is important and I’m sorry but [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] lacks it completely, the fact that the names begin with the same letter, have the same amount of letters, end with the same letter, and have the same amount of syllables all work against them together as a combo. What about another L names with more/less syllables than [name]Lyra[/name]? [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Lisabeth[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Leigh[/name],? You’re not crazy, and I think the [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] sound lovely as twins :slight_smile:

You can always give the same middle name mayla dice you like it so much. And I have seen people with twins use the other twins frost name as a middle name marina [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] marina…

agreed. It’s better to switch them.

I love [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] together, so I think you can feel settled with your first names. To me, the reason [name]Marina[/name] Mayla works and [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] doesn’t is the syllable rhythm and not the first initial, so what about looking for a three syllable or more middle name that starts with L for [name]Luna[/name]. Milliemm had some good ideas, and here are a few more:

[name]Luna[/name] [name]Lillia[/name]
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Leora[/name]
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Leonora[/name] (loving this)
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Livia[/name]

Or, this is an invented choice, but how about [name]Luna[/name] Lyrica?

Lyrica is a name for a drug that’s on TV all the time. I love the sound of it, but that throws me off.

I love [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Marina[/name] together. I think alliteration is wonderful, but because the names start AND end with the same letter, its too sing songy.
I would go with something more like:

[name]Luna[/name] [name]Lorelei[/name] and [name]Marina[/name] [name]May[/name]
or
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Lark[/name] and [name]Marina[/name] [name]May[/name]

I agree with the above posts, [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] are to similar. I don’t like [name]Luna[/name] [name]Belle[/name] either.

[name]Luna[/name] and [name]Marina[/name] are lovely together though!

I like the idea of switching the middle names around. [name]Luna[/name] and [name]Marina[/name] are pretty names. (I’m a little biased - [name]Marina[/name] was on my name list when we had our kids.)

[name]Susan[/name]
Mom to [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] [name]Natalie[/name]

This would have been my suggestion as well. It would be cute for the girls to share swapped initials.
I also agree with [name]Pam[/name]. I don’t dislike matching initials like MM or LL in a name but it’s problematic that the names each sound so similar to each other. [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] is only one letter longer than [name]Luna[/name] Mayla (also I love the y’s in both mn’s).

I actually really like [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] and [name]Marina[/name] Mayla. They are a bit sing songy but that doesn’t put me off.

[name]Luna[/name] Mayla and [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] is a GREAT idea! [name]Love[/name] all four names and wouldn’t want to see you have to change names you love just for flow. This helps that problem!

Answers to your questions:

1. No, they’re not too matchy, I think they are beautiful together.

2. Yes, [name]Marina[/name] Mayla and [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] are too sing - songy. Far too much alliteration.

3.I don’t think you can do anything to break them up. It’s still obvious.

1. Swapping them over is a great idea. [name]Luna[/name] Mayla and [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] are both beautiful!

2. No, you are not crazy. :smiley:

I loveeee [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] as twins together, such beautiful whimsical names.

I like the idea of [name]Luna[/name] Mayla and [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]. I could see a girl named [name]Luna[/name] Mayla being called “[name]Luna[/name]-may” as one long word. [name]Marina[/name] I imagine would be shortened to [name]Mary[/name] from time to time, which I’m not a huge fan of the name [name]Mary[/name] so that’s something to consider. You could try to encourage the nickname [name]Rina[/name]… Almost everyones names get shortened to nicknames by friends/family so that’s something to think about.

You MAY want to consider Luna and Stella! Moon and stars.

I once knew a Michelle and Marina who were sisters, they weren’t twins but they were born super close together, like within the same year.

Marina and Luna sounds very pretty also! But I think Mayla and Lyra aren’t so good for middle names. I love Lyra, just not for a middle name, and I don’t like Mayla at all.

If you’re doing something unique like Marina and Luna you should go with a simple middle name.
The thing you should most avoid is having an -a first name with an -a middle name. It’s too repetitive.

Luna Claire, Marina Jade
Luna Belle, Marina Sky
Luna May, Marina June
Luna Faith, Marina Hope

Just a few suggestions.

I like [name]Marina[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] Mayla much better but you might consider changing the second syllable of the middle names like [name]Lyric[/name] or Maylaina.

I don’t think [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] are matchy. However [name]Marina[/name] Mayla and [name]Luna[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] are very matchy/sing-songy too me. Personally, I would find different middle names.

1. First off, Congratulations!!!

2. The names [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] aren’t too matchy. The connection isn’t obvious. I think the meaning/connection is beautiful.

3. I think that they are too singsongy that way. I also like the alliteration. I also like the idea that they share a letter for a middle name. They could both have a name that starts with an O, for example. All four names end in a, which makes it a lot more singsongy.

What about:
[name]Marina[/name]: [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Muse[/name], Mór, [name]Moriah[/name], [name]Moira[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]: [name]Leocadia[/name], [name]Leonie[/name], [name]Lowri[/name], [name]Lucasta[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lark[/name]
O: Ofelie, [name]Odessa[/name], [name]Olympia[/name]

I really like the idea of:

[name]Marina[/name] [name]Olympia[/name] [name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Luna[/name] [name]Ofelia[/name] Mayla

Again, the first middle name could be any initial that they share.

1. I think that [name]Luna[/name] some shared first initial and then Mayla. I don’t like Mayla as much as [name]Marina[/name], [name]Lyra[/name], [name]Luna[/name]. It doesn’t seem like a “real” name. It seems very trendy and it doesn’t fit in all too well with the other names.

2. I like this idea. It was the first thing I thought of as I saw your dilemma. It may to be close, which is why I suggest giving them two middle names but using a new letter that they can both share. That way you can either have their initials be MOM, LOL or MOL, LOM. Or any other letter you choose to give.

3. If you are, you chose the right company. We’re all mad here. :slight_smile: