Twin girls!

We’re expecting twin girls in late [name_f]May[/name_f] and are stuck on names! Probably because we both want to choose names that honor strong historical women but still feel modern. We’re finding that to be limiting, especially because our families expect to give them nicknames.

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] #1 is [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], nn [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]?? (for [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Angelou[/name_f] and RBG) but we’re lost on baby #2. We like [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f], but are worried it doesn’t match with [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and/or is too dated. Our short list for middles is: [name_u]Simone[/name_u], [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] and [name_f]Janie[/name_f] would be adorable but hubby doesn’t like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] enough for fn status. If we use it as a middle I might just call her [name_f]Janie[/name_f] anyway.

What combo do you like best? We’d also welcome suggestions for other firsts/middles!

I don’t think [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] is too dated. I don’t see an issue of having a [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and an [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f], but that may just be me. I like [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_f]Janie[/name_f]) or [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] [name_f]Kahlo[/name_f].

Okay I’m heavily biased towards women in science but… What about [name_f]Ada[/name_f]? ([name_f]Ada[/name_f] Lovelace) It has the same start as [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f], but a similar style to [name_f]Maya[/name_f], and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] Lovelace is a terrific namesake.

Other suggestions…
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] ([name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Hopper[/name_m]) NN [name_f]Gracie[/name_f] - similar to [name_f]Janie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] ([name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Earhart[/name_f])
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] ([name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] Pankhurst)

Here are some suggestions

Lousia/[name_u]Lou[/name_u] (Lousia [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u])

[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] ([name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_m]Parks[/name_m])

[name_f]Ella[/name_f]/[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] ([name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_m]Roosevelt[/name_m])

[name_f]Cleo[/name_f] ([name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f])

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] ([name_f]Sybil[/name_f] Ludington)

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]/[name_u]Abby[/name_u] ([name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m])

[name_f]Betsy[/name_f] ([name_f]Betsy[/name_f] [name_m]Ross[/name_m])

[name_f]Shirley[/name_f] ([name_f]Shirley[/name_f] [name_u]Temple[/name_u])

[name_f]Florence[/name_f]/[name_f]Florie[/name_f] ([name_f]Florence[/name_f] Nightingale)

[name_f]Irena[/name_f]/[name_u]Ira[/name_u] ([name_f]Irena[/name_f] Sendler)

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lydie[/name_f] ([name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_m]Taft[/name_m])

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] these help : )

Have you considered [name_u]Simone[/name_u] as a first? I think it pairs wonderfully with [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is also a great suggestion.

[name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] feels a tad dated to me because the only one I know is my age, BUT it’s still a beautiful name. [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is a little tough to say, but I like it (and nn. [name_f]Janie[/name_f]).

I agree, [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] dont really go together. Since you will call [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f], why not use [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] as a first name. I would do [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and then you could call her [name_f]Janie[/name_f] if you want and ur husband can still call her maya. And the other twin could be [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] ([name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]). So you would have

[name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_f]Janie[/name_f])
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] ([name_f]Ruth[/name_f])

I think [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] sound darling together.

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Ada[/name_f]! [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] ([name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]) and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] ([name_f]Janie[/name_f]) would be absolutely beautiful together!

I love the suggestion of [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] with [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]! [name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] and [name_f]Janie[/name_f] are perfect together!

I love [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], such awesome namesakes to have! Think that might end up being my pick. DH says he thinks it’d be a great nn for [name_f]Adrienne[/name_f] so… grant me patience.

We considered doing [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and using [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] for #2 but felt that sounded too close to “[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]”. I’m not a fan of the connotation for a kiddo but maybe that’s just my overprotective momma brain?

We appreciate all the thoughtful replies :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] would be perfect together! Congrats on your twins :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] would be lovely with [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], but here are some other suggestions:
([name_f]Susan[/name_f]) [name_f]Bea[/name_f] ([name_m]Anthony[/name_m])
([name_f]Emily[/name_f]) [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] ([name_m]Dickinson[/name_m])
[name_u]Bell[/name_u] (Hooks)
[name_f]Coretta[/name_f] ([name_m]Scott[/name_m] [name_m]King[/name_m])
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] ([name_u]Walker[/name_u])
[name_f]Audre[/name_f] (Lorde)
[name_f]Rita[/name_f] ([name_u]Dove[/name_u])
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] ([name_m]Clifton[/name_m])
[name_f]Emilie[/name_f] (du Chatelet)
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] ([name_m]Herschel[/name_m])
([name_f]Mary[/name_f]) Anning
[name_f]Marie[/name_f] (Curie)
[name_f]Lise[/name_f] (Meitner)
[name_f]Irene[/name_f] (Curie-Joliot)
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (Hodgkin)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] ([name_m]Franklin[/name_m])
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] (Brontë)