twins- do opposites really attract?

[name]Hi[/name]! I am new here and want some opinions on twin names! My husband and I have had a hard time coming up with two girl names and two boy names we both equally love. So we have come up with a bit of a “deal” I get one girl name I love in exchange for one boy name he loves. So we have my girl name [name]Ramona[/name] for his boy name [name]Marcus[/name]. His girl name [name]Evangeline[/name] for my boy name [name]Theodore[/name]. So, if we end up having two girls then they would be [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name]. Are they just too different do you think? Or different in a good way? Like opposites attract kind of way? Or oil and water kind of way? :slight_smile:

I think [name]Marcus[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] make a great boy twin set so my concern is more if we end up having two girls! Should we just scrap this whole “deal” and start fresh? I do want to say that we both like all the names- just some more than others. I would never name my child a name I didn’t like :slight_smile:

I think [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] go very well together-- both are underused classics. And nicknames [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Romy[/name] are very cute. :slight_smile: [name]Marcus[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] also go well together, though not quite as well as [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name].

Hm. I have to say I’m not in love with [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] for sisters. [name]Evangeline[/name], to me, is very romantic and passionate and elegant. [name]Ramona[/name] is more comfortable, sweet, and quiet. I love both names, and [name]Romy[/name] and [name]Eva[/name] are adorable nicknames, but I would put [name]Evangeline[/name] with something more like [name]Rosanna[/name], which is still sweet but has a bit more spunk, I think, and I’d put [name]Ramona[/name] with something more like [name]Evelyn[/name], which is still elegant but feels more demure.

I love [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Marcus[/name] together - they are unexpected but at the same time make a perfect set. [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Marc[/name] are great for your boys!

As for a boy and a girl, my favorite set is [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name], because they have very similar, vintage feels to me. [name]Romy[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] are too cute!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS I’m a twin, and I don’t think my name “goes” with my sister’s at all. But, alas, what am I to do about it?

Thanks irisrose! I am surprised you like [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] so much- pleasantly so! I guess what I meant by opposites attract is that I see [name]Evangeline[/name] as a more feminine “princessy” name where as I see [name]Ramona[/name] as more feisty and energetic. Like [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] would fit perfectly, style wise, in my opinion.

So any other thoughts? agree? disagree? Also I wanted to ask if you think the nicknames [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Romy[/name] are too “matchy” to use. I could always use [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Romy[/name] I suppose but I do prefer the sound of [name]Evie[/name] pronounced eh-vee not ee-vee to [name]Eva[/name]. EE-VEE and [name]Romy[/name] are too close, I think.

Oops! just saw your post lemon! That’s so interesting how you think of [name]Ramona[/name] as sweet and quiet. I think just the opposite! Funny how that works! I suppose it’s from the books Beezus and [name]Ramona[/name] and the very unquiet [name]Ramona[/name] in the Real Housewives of New [name]York[/name] City. I guess I picture a feisty soccer player type with the name [name]Ramona[/name] more so than a quiet bookie type. Shrug

Maybe I’m alone? :expressionless:

No, no, I see that, too. [name]Ramona[/name] feels more spunky to me than [name]Evangeline[/name]. I like your contrasting images of [name]Ramona[/name] as a soccer player and [name]Evangeline[/name] as more of a princess-y ballerina-type name. [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Beatrix[/name] do fit beautifully, style-wise, as you mentioned…

So the spunky and the princessy are too opposite then in your opinion lemon?

Hmm so 1 for a good match and 1 for a not so great match. Any tie breakers? Bah! I really wanted this to work out too… :frowning:

Obviously, your girls - if they are girls - could have completely different personalities. In fact, it’s almost a given they will! Here’s my vote - they wouldn’t be my first thoughts, but I wouldn’t look at those two names together and think, “Wow, what were their parents thinking?” I think you and your husband should go with what you love and use [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name]. [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Romy[/name] are cute, or [name]Eva[/name] [EH-vah] and [name]Romy[/name]. To balance the names, I’d give [name]Evangeline[/name] a more classic, traditional middle name and give [name]Ramona[/name] something with a bit more “princess sparkle.” Off the top of my head, I’m envisioning [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] or something, you know?

Oh, I thought of a pairing I love - [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]! [name]Audrey[/name] seems to match [name]Ramona[/name]'s feel, style-wise, as I could imagine a reserved little girl or a spunky soccer player (this is the [name]Audrey[/name] I know, personally!) and they are both a bit on the clunkier side, whereas [name]Scarlett[/name] is all glam and pizazz, like [name]Evangeline[/name]. Plus, they both scream Old Hollywood to me.

Sorry, you might have middle name ideas in mind, but I just had to throw those out for your consideration…

Thanks for the suggestion of [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Audrey[/name], that is so pretty! I will have to mention this to my husband when he gets home. I also love the suggestion of using opposite middle names to compliment their differences. I do know that my husband will absolutely veto [name]Scarlett[/name]. I have mentioned that name before and he REALLY hated it and he doesn’t say that often.

I know that he loves the name [name]Violet[/name], though. [name]Do[/name] you think that would have a similar effect? [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Violet[/name]? Any other suggestions on possible middle names for [name]Evangeline[/name] would be greatly appreciated!

I love [name]Violet[/name], too, but it doesn’t have quite the sultry image that [name]Scarlett[/name] has. It’s a bit on the sweeter side in my opinion. Hm. What could you do?

[name]Glad[/name] you like [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Audrey[/name]. I’d also suggest to you [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Emma[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Flora[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Laura[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Margo[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Olive[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Ruth[/name], or [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]. For [name]Ramona[/name], maybe [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Camille[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Giselle[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Roxane[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name], or [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]? [name]How[/name] long is the last name?

Ooh I love [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Camille[/name]! that is so perfect! I’ll have to consult with the husband when he gets home. I know he’ll love [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Iris[/name] but I’m not sure about [name]Camille[/name]. I’ll also try to get him to look at and consider at least one alternative to [name]Evangeline[/name], I know he also really loves the name [name]Hermione[/name], [name]Athena[/name] and [name]Augusta[/name].

What he truly wanted instead of [name]Marcus[/name] was [name]Augustus[/name] but I just don’t know if it’s modern enough to use on a boy this day and age. I am less adventurous when it comes to boy names I guess. I may be able to get him to bend on [name]Evangeline[/name] if I agree to [name]Augustus[/name], I just don’t want it to constantly bug me that I don’t think [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] make that great of sibling sets.

My preference would be the siblings [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] :slight_smile: Would [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] just sound too wacky?

Oh, last name is short one syllable that sounds like [name]Finn[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], and even [name]Augustus[/name]. Would [name]Augustine[/name] or [name]August[/name] help it seem more modern and usable to you? But, to be honest, I adore [name]Evangeline[/name], and I’m really thinking you could make [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] work! ([name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] would be pretty, too…)

I really appreciate your responses lemon :slight_smile:

So, husband is home. He has agreed to go with [name]Emmeline[/name] (a name I like better than [name]Evangeline[/name]) to go with [name]Ramona[/name] in exchange for a name he likes better than [name]Marcus[/name].

He would be willing to use : [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Alaric[/name]/[name]Caius[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name]/[name]Lysander[/name]/[name]Leopold[/name]/Ares.

What do you think? [name]Just[/name] stick to the original set or do any of these alternatives stick out as a better option?

Oh he also likes [name]Silas[/name] for a boy.

I think this is a great deal and all those names sound great!

Okay, so it’s going to be [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] for girls now? [name]Lovely[/name]! [name]Emmeline[/name]'s a personal favorite of mine, and I say it with a -line sound. [name]Do[/name] you say -line or -leen? Curious…

(As for middle names, I think something like [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Frances[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Florence[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Gwyneth[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Lily[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Pauline[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name], or [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Therese[/name] would be lovely. My favorites are [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Sylvie[/name].)

As for boys, those are some, how do I put this, bold choices from your husband! I assume [name]Theodore[/name] is a given. It’s a handsome vintage name that would make the perfect brother for either [name]Ramona[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name]. I think, ideally, I’d pair it with [name]Ramona[/name], as [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Romy[/name] are adorable together. Yet, you also have the option of using [name]Teddy[/name] for [name]Theodore[/name]'s nickname - the only [name]Theodore[/name] I’ve ever known was called [name]Teddy[/name]. [name]Alaric[/name], to me, is a bit too much name, and it feels out of place next to [name]Theodore[/name], which is an established, vintage name. [name]Lysander[/name] and Ares are very mythological, whereas [name]Theodore[/name] does not have that vibe. Ares, too, being the god of war, seems like an odd choice for a name, to be frank with you. Sorry! I like [name]Caius[/name], but, again, it just doesn’t seem to match [name]Theodore[/name] as well as some other names do. Yes, [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Caius[/name] could be brothers, but when you consider the fact that you like girl names that are very vintage and fairly established, like [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name], it seems out of place in your potential family. [name]Leopold[/name] is a guilty pleasure of mine, but he couldn’t be a brother to [name]Theodore[/name]! [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Leo[/name]? No way! So, my choice for [name]Theodore[/name]'s brother is, without a doubt, [name]Augustus[/name] or [name]Silas[/name]. [name]Silas[/name] has that stuffy British feel - in a good way, of course! - that [name]Theodore[/name] has, so I like that. I guess you could call them [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Si[/name]? Yes, that works. [name]Augustus[/name] feels very [name]Roman[/name], of course, but it works. I personally might prefer [name]Augustine[/name] [au-[name]GUST[/name]-in], with the [name]Gus[/name] nickname. [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Gus[/name] are absolutely perfect brothers! Now, maybe I prefer this because I went to school with a [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Augustine[/name], who went by [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Gus[/name] (or [name]Gusty[/name]), respectively.

So, those are my thoughts. I hope I didn’t offend you!

I agree with everything you said about his name choices. Haha, now you see my dilemma! My husband has… interesting…tastes in boy names to say the least. That is why we had to come up with this whole system in the first place! Those suggestions I posted earlier were the tamer of his choices. It seems he wants a name better suited for a ancient [name]Roman[/name] warrior than for a modern boy living in the South! I try my best to compromise but he’s impossible! I just wish he liked “ancient” names that also sound modern like [name]Arthur[/name] or [name]Conrad[/name]. Basically, add “us” or “as” to any name and he likes it.

He says he doesn’t really like [name]Theodore[/name] but loves [name]Theodorus[/name]. GAH! Anyway, I probably like [name]Augustus[/name] the best out of his names, anyway. The nickname Auggie is really cute but way too much with an [name]Emme[/name] and a [name]Romy[/name]. I like [name]Gus[/name] as well so that works for me. As for the girl names I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Florence[/name]. That is the PERFECT vibe I am going for. Husband loves it too so hooray! Still hoping to find that perfect middle name for [name]Emmeline[/name] (pronounced -line). I always liked the combo of [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] (and dh likes it too) but I don’t know if that fits well with [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Florence[/name]. What do you think?

Also, I read a post somewhere where someone had the idea of watching a movie with their husband that has a name they like in it to see if it “grows” on them type of thing. Anyone know of a movie with a strong character named [name]Conrad[/name] or [name]Arthur[/name]? I know he really likes the name [name]Tristan[/name] and I am almost tempted to use it even though I know it’s getting popular. I don’t think it’s popular where we live though, at least. What do you think? Does anyone know of any list of popular boy’s names (at least the top 100) by state? I know [name]Tristan[/name] isn’t in the top 50 where we live but I have not been able to locate a list that goes beyond the top 50. Sorry for the rambling but I really appreciate your help!

[name]Glad[/name] you love [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Florence[/name] - it’s great! [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] certainly has the right vibe, but I think a two-syllable middle name would work better with your one-syllable last name, myself. Would [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Opal[/name] (love!) or [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] work?

As for [name]Theodorus[/name], please force him to use [name]Theodore[/name]. A guy can only take so much name! I think [name]Augustus[/name] would work. I am recalling now that a teacher in high school named his son [name]Augustus[/name], and the boy goes by [name]Gus[/name]. [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] work very well together. I actually like them both! Hm. A movie with [name]Arthur[/name] or [name]Conrad[/name]? I have no idea. Honestly, for the sake of nicknames, I think I’d go with [name]Augustus[/name]. [name]Conrad[/name] doesn’t have a nickname, and [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name] both end in R’s. Could you use them as middle names? What about [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] [name]Arthur[/name]? [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Tristan[/name] feel similar to me because of the stories of [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name]. Would that help you guys?

As for names by state, here’s the link: Popular Names by State

I’ve been lurking on this thread - not sure I have much to add, but I noticed you were wondering about state name searches - have you been on the “name mapper” at baby name wizard site? pretty cool. Pregnancy, Parenting, Lifestyle, Beauty: Tips & Advice | mom.com.

Okay I do have something - what about [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Florence[/name] & [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]?