twins- do opposites really attract?

Aww I love [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] together, they just “fit”. [name]Evangeline[/name] is lovely but something seemed off with the combo of [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name].

I also adore [name]Theodore[/name]! I think [name]Augustus[/name] actually works better with [name]Theodore[/name] than [name]Marcus[/name] does. [name]Marcus[/name] seems a little bit more modern to me, like maybe my mother’s generation as opposed to my grandparents generation.

I really love [name]August[/name] the most though and I don’t know if you or your hubby like that? Either way, [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]August[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] (I just think the [name]August[/name] combo works better with your girl names in case all these names get used in future) - [name]Theo[/name] and Auggie or my personal fav, [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Gus[/name]!

So if the twins are boy/girl will it be [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name]? Because those sound awesome together too!

Thanks for all the support guys!

There is one more piece to this puzzle that I haven’t shared yet. The reason my husband wants [name]Augustus[/name] so badly is that he feels it partly honors his name. Thus far, I have put my foot down and said that I didn’t want to use his first name as our sons name- mainly because of the lack of nickname options. His name is [name]Caesar[/name]. His father wanted him to have a strong name (like father like son eh?) and named him after “the” [name]Caesar[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] (don’t worry that’s not his middle name!). I actually don’t mind the name but I HATE the nicknames “J.R.” and [name]Jr[/name]. so I said no. But, this morning I had a revelation! I could possibly use the nickname [name]Asa[/name] for [name]Caesar[/name]! Or even [name]Esa[/name] which is commonly a nickname for [name]Isaiah[/name] but it could work right? I think I like [name]Asa[/name] better but [name]Esa[/name] is more true to the name. I wanted to run this by you guys first before I get my husbands hopes up. [name]Do[/name] you like those nicknames with our other possible kid names? Is it too much of a stretch for the name [name]Caesar[/name]? [name]Asa[/name], [name]Emme[/name], [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Romy[/name]? Please tell me what you think! This could be the answer to our problems because [name]Asa[/name] is actually a name I really really like as a stand alone.

I know that [name]Caesar[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] both end in an “r” sound but [name]Caesar[/name] would EXCLUSIVELY go by [name]Asa[/name]/[name]Esa[/name]- that would be a condition of the name.

Ok I can’t edit but husband has just said that he would strongly consider using the name [name]Clementine[/name] for a girl- which I have always LOVED! Would [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] fit together? I would still use the nickname [name]Emme[/name] as [name]Cleo[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] sound awful. Yes? No?

[name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] sound perfect to me!! Really vintage, quirky cool :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you like the nn [name]Clemmie[/name]?

Yay glad you like it! The nickname [name]Clemmie[/name] just makes me think of Clammy so I think we would definitely stick with [name]Emme[/name]/[name]Emmie[/name] if we went with [name]Clementine[/name]. Or maybe lemon :smiley:

Hehe [name]Lemon[/name] would be cute! [name]Emmie[/name]'s cute, but I’m not sure it’s an obvious nn so you’d have to probably be quite insistent that people use it. Not that I can talk…I want to have a [name]Rosalia[/name] [name]Mary[/name] and call her [name]Romy[/name]! That’s nowhere near an obvious nn lol.

Since [name]Cleo[/name] is out if you go with [name]Theo[/name] (and I love [name]Cleo[/name]) would you consider [name]Teddy[/name] for [name]Theodore[/name]?

Or, Since [name]Theo[/name] is really cute too, what about [name]Clea[/name] for [name]Clementine[/name]?

Wow, your husband is [name]Caesar[/name]? Neat! Now I’m thinking [name]Augustus[/name] might be weird to use, even though I like it, and [name]Gus[/name], more than [name]Caesar[/name] and [name]Asa[/name] with the other name ideas. Hm. Well, either way, you’ve got some bold choices!

[name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] are adorable. [name]Cleo[/name] and [name]Romy[/name] would be my preference, and [name]Theodore[/name] could be [name]Teddy[/name] instead of [name]Theo[/name], you know. Or, what about [name]Clea[/name] instead of [name]Cleo[/name]? I agree that [name]Clem[/name] and [name]Clemmie[/name] sound like clam and clammy, so I wouldn’t use those. [name]Emi[/name] could work, yes, as could [name]Tina[/name], but that’s a little dated. Or, give her a C middle name and nickname her Cece!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply lemon. I’ve had my doubts about the [name]Caesar[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] connection, too. My husband said I was over-thinking it and that other people wouldn’t make the connection. So I wanted to test his theory by casually mentioning his name without specifically asking whether people thought it was weird or not. Looks like my fears were realized :frowning: I’ve told him for a long time I thought it was weird to be named [name]Caesar[/name] and name a son [name]Augustus[/name].

So what do you guys think I should do? I know we can’t be the only people who has this much trouble agreeing on a boys name. We are just such complete opposites! Maybe some of you can list some boy’s names that would fit with [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] that aren’t as “bold” as my husbands suggestions but still something along his style? He has already said no to [name]August[/name] so thats out. In addition to the ones previously mentioned he likes [name]Godfrey[/name], [name]Icarus[/name], [name]Ulysses[/name], *[name]Leonidas[/name], *[name]Romulus[/name], [name]Socrates[/name], and *[name]Tiberius[/name]. The stars are the ones he likes the best. … please help!

Okay, I have to admit that I have taken seven years of Latin and Greek, so I’m a little more in tune with the historical connotations of [name]Caesar[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] than maybe the typical person, but, alas, I think it is a close call.

What would I put with [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name]? Well, these!

[name]Andreas[/name] - [name]Andy[/name], [name]Andre[/name] (Not my first choice, but it is closer to your husband’s style, I think.)
[name]Atticus[/name] - [name]Ace[/name]
[name]Barnabas[/name] - [name]Barney[/name]
[name]Benedict[/name] - [name]Ben[/name], [name]Bennie[/name], [name]Benji[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] - [name]Eli[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] - Ev, [name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] - [name]Fred[/name], [name]Freddie[/name], [name]Fritz[/name], [name]Rick[/name], [name]Ricky[/name], [name]Red[/name]
[name]Homer[/name] - (Not my first choice, again, but it could make a nice middle name!)
[name]Julian[/name] - [name]Jules[/name], [name]Jude[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name] - [name]Matt[/name], [name]Mattie[/name]
[name]Maximus[/name] - [name]Max[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] - [name]Seb[/name], Sebsy
[name]Simeon[/name] - [name]Sim[/name]
[name]Zacchaeus[/name] - [name]Zac[/name]

My favorites are [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Benedict[/name], [name]Everett[/name], and [name]Julian[/name]. [name]Everett[/name], in particular, is a handsome choice with [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name]. And, it does have a semi-mythical connection because [name]George[/name] [name]Clooney[/name] played [name]Ulysses[/name] [name]Everett[/name] McGill - who went by [name]Everett[/name] - in ‘Oh Brother, Where [name]Art[/name] Thou?’ which was based upon [name]Homer[/name]'s Odyssey!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Honestly I think those names are great choices! I don’t believe you have to match your twin names, necessarily. They’re different people and especially being twins, it may be nice to emphasize their individual selves.

Beautiful names and congratulations!

Thanks again for the help. I showed him the list and he didn’t really like any of them and/or he hated the nickname. He liked [name]Maximus[/name] and [name]Matthias[/name] the best but hates the nicknames [name]Matt[/name]/[name]Max[/name]. He says they sound too “normal”. He has fallen in love with the nick name Auggie for [name]Augustus[/name]. Gosh this sucks, what are the odds that a guy named [name]Caesar[/name] would love the name [name]Augustus[/name]?! I swear the universe is out to get me!

He also mentioned that he didn’t quite understand the whole [name]Lysander[/name] being mythological next to [name]Theodore[/name]. He says it’s the name of a Spartan general. So I guess that pretty much sums up his style- something suited for a [name]Roman[/name] warrior or general. Any other suggestions? I know you guys are getting sick of me but I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] and so don’t want to have to give it up! If I can’t suggest a name he loves as much as [name]Augustus[/name] shes probably going to be named [name]Evangeline[/name]. I suppose unless there is a girl’s name that goes with [name]Clementine[/name] that he likes. He isn’t as crazy with girl names but I really don’t even know what would go well with it. His second favorite girl name after [name]Evangeline[/name] is [name]Athena[/name] so…

Sorry again… can someone please tell me how I can edit a post? He also likes the name [name]Margaux[/name] (spelled that way) [name]Octavia[/name], and of course [name]Augusta[/name]. I am also wondering if you think [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] are too similar to each other to use? I pronounce [name]Evangeline[/name] as -een and [name]Clementine[/name] as -INE. Are they still too similar you think? Their nicknames would be [name]Cleo[/name] and [name]Evie[/name].

[name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Augusta[/name] would be so cute, too :frowning:

I agree wholeheartedly! :smiley:

You could do [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Evangelina[/name] to make them seem a bit more different, maybe? [name]Evangelina[/name] is very princess-y, whereas [name]Clementine[/name] is more spunky, but they could work. [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Clea[/name] are cute together, I think! Maybe something like [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name] and [name]Evangelina[/name] [name]Margaux[/name]?

[name]Lemon[/name]

Well I haven’t taken 7 years of Latin and Greek and I agree with [name]Lemon[/name] that a man named [name]Caeser[/name] should avoid having a son named [name]Augustus[/name]. I’m thinking of those times when you are talking about the two of them in a story. Like, “[name]Caeser[/name] and [name]Augustus[/name] went camping last weekend.”

If he likes [name]Roman[/name] names I might be able to help, I have a degree in classics… but if you’re set on [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name], if might be hard to find a name to match, I’d just focus on them sounding nice together! If he would be happy with a subtle nod to his name that isn’t as matchy as [name]Augustus[/name], maybe the name of another emperor? You have to be a bit careful, some of them were genuine loons, but [name]Phillip[/name], [name]Marcus[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Claudius[/name], [name]Aurelian[/name], Maximian, [name]Constantine[/name] (although obviously not with [name]Clementine[/name], although the ending is prn -een!) or even [name]Julian[/name] might work for you. Maybe he’d be satisfied knowing that [name]Theodore[/name] is a variant of Theodosius, who was the last [name]Roman[/name] emperor who ruled before it was divided into eastern and western empires? So it might be a way of bringing them full circle, the empire beginning with [name]Caesar[/name], changing with Theodosius? [name]Justin[/name]/[name]Justinian[/name] were the last emperors of [name]Rome[/name], if you like either of those names.

I guess if he likes [name]Lysander[/name] he’s not averse to unusual names, other generals/tribunes/kings etc include [name]Lucius[/name], [name]Cassius[/name], [name]Cicero[/name], [name]Marcus[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name], Servius, [name]Tarquin[/name] (tyrants, I’d avoid but I actually know one), [name]Lucretius[/name], Periander (also a tyrant), [name]Romulus[/name], [name]Seneca[/name].

Otherwise, both [name]Augustus[/name] and [name]Caesar[/name] make appearances in the Aeneid and [name]Ovid[/name]'s Metamorphosis. Other historical figures mentioned in the Aeneid include Numa, [name]Cato[/name], [name]Scipio[/name], and [name]Marcellus[/name]. [name]Ovid[/name] offers a whole constellation of names that might be worth considering, including [name]Ajax[/name], (I’d use it in a heartbeat it if weren’t so associated with cleaning products) [name]Apollo[/name], [name]Cadmus[/name], [name]Pollux[/name], [name]Hector[/name], Ixion, Phineus and [name]Zephyr[/name].

I have no idea if that was in any way helpful! I think [name]Clementine[/name] is just quirky enough that she could easily be the twin of a brother with a more unusual name. I actually don’t mind her paired with [name]Athena[/name] (even though the student in me whinges that it really is better spelled and pronounced [name]Athene[/name]). Good luck!

If he likes [name]Roman[/name] names I might be able to help, I have a degree in classics… but if you’re set on [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name], if might be hard to find a name to match, I’d just focus on them sounding nice together! If he would be happy with a subtle nod to his name that isn’t as matchy as [name]Augustus[/name], maybe the name of another emperor? You have to be a bit careful, some of them were genuine loons, but [name]Phillip[/name], [name]Marcus[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Claudius[/name], [name]Aurelian[/name], Maximian, [name]Constantine[/name] (although obviously not with [name]Clementine[/name], although the ending is prn -een!) or even [name]Julian[/name] might work for you. Maybe he’d be satisfied knowing that [name]Theodore[/name] is a variant of Theodosius, who was the last [name]Roman[/name] emperor who ruled before it was divided into eastern and western empires? So it might be a way of bringing them full circle, the empire beginning with [name]Caesar[/name], changing with Theodosius? [name]Justin[/name]/[name]Justinian[/name] were the last emperors of [name]Rome[/name], if you like either of those names.

I guess if he likes [name]Lysander[/name] he’s not averse to unusual names, other generals/tribunes/kings etc include [name]Lucius[/name], [name]Cassius[/name], [name]Cicero[/name], [name]Marcus[/name], [name]Cornelius[/name], Servius, [name]Tarquin[/name] (tyrants, I’d avoid but I actually know one), [name]Lucretius[/name], Periander (also a tyrant), [name]Romulus[/name], [name]Seneca[/name].

Otherwise, both [name]Augustus[/name] and [name]Caesar[/name] make appearances in the Aeneid and [name]Ovid[/name]'s Metamorphosis. Other historical figures mentioned in the Aeneid include Numa, [name]Cato[/name], [name]Scipio[/name], and [name]Marcellus[/name]. [name]Ovid[/name] offers a whole constellation of names that might be worth considering, including [name]Ajax[/name], (I’d use it in a heartbeat it if weren’t so associated with cleaning products) [name]Apollo[/name], [name]Cadmus[/name], [name]Pollux[/name], [name]Hector[/name], Ixion, Phineus and [name]Zephyr[/name].

I have no idea if that was in any way helpful! I think [name]Clementine[/name] is just quirky enough that she could easily be the twin of a brother with a more unusual name. I actually don’t mind her paired with [name]Athena[/name] (even though the student in me whinges that it really is better spelled and pronounced [name]Athene[/name]). Good luck![/quote]

Thank you so much! These were exactly the kind of names he likes. He really liked [name]Romulus[/name] (which I just can’t come around to-I think it sounds SO pretentious) [name]Cassius[/name], and [name]Lucius[/name]/[name]Lucien[/name]. [name]Lucius[/name] I don’t think I can do because of the evil [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character (I know I’m such a nerd) but [name]Lucien[/name] is one we both like. [name]Do[/name] you think that name fits with [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name]? I already posted this in another thread but he also likes the name [name]Octavius[/name] and [name]Caius[/name]- also [name]Caesar[/name] themed though not as obvious. What do you think?

I think I have a skewed perception of these names, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Romulus[/name]. But that’s because I like the stories that are associated with them, and it’s hard for me to detach the story from the name and think about how it would work in the real world. I nearly didn’t put [name]Lucius[/name] on the list for the Malfoy reason, but figured it was worth a mention. In my experience, Americans tend to pronounce [name]Lucien[/name] like [name]Lucienne[/name], so it sounds a little feminine to me.

I love [name]Cassius[/name] too, and [name]Octavian[/name] was the name of [name]Augustus[/name] before he became emperor, so I think [name]Octavius[/name] is a cute nod to your husband without being obvious. I know a little girl named [name]Octavia[/name], she gets called [name]Otto[/name] - I believe that it’s Italian for 8. That would be a gorgeous nickname for your little [name]Octavius[/name]!

[name]Romulus[/name] could have some cute nicknames though? Like [name]Remy[/name] or [name]Russ[/name]?
[name]Just[/name] a thought!

X