Two boys

About 10 days ago we found out that in [name_u]January[/name_u] we’ll be welcoming not one, but two little ones to our family. I wasn’t entirely surprised since twins run in my family and I’m a twin myself, but I was still shocked. Anyway, I’m getting used to the idea and realized that this means we’ll need to chose not one but two names. I should be delighted because I love names, but in fact I find it terrifying.
We started early this time around and had already picked a name for each gender. We know through the blood test that at least one of the babies is a boy, so if it’s one of each we’re settled :sweat_smile: But if it’s two boys, we’re stuck for the moment.

The name we’ve chosen already is [name_m]Leonid[/name_m]. Here are the names that are on out list right now, please tell me what you think of them, or just pick your favorites. Any suggestions are welcome.
Older brothers are Hjörtur and [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m].

[name_u]Nikita[/name_u] - I really love it, and it has some great nickname potential. But [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_u]Nikita[/name_u] do sound very… Russian together. Which is kind of the point, since we want to honor that part of SO’s heritage, but are they too much together?

[name_m]Philemon[/name_m] - has the lovely nickname [name_u]Phil[/name_u] and goes especially well with older brother [name_m]Barnabas[/name_m], but maybe it’s not ready for a comeback?

[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] - maybe a bit too plain next too his brothers’ names? It does have the nickname [name_m]Kolya[/name_m], which I love.

Rósar - referring to my own first name and honoring my dad in a not-so-direct way. Pretty rare even in Iceland. I suppose a lot of people would mistake it for [name_f]Rosa[/name_f], so maybe too feminine.

[name_m]Tadeusz[/name_m] - Polish form of [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u], honoring my Polish heritage. People would probably mispronounce it. We could go with [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u], but somehow that doesn’t have the same charm to me.

2 Likes

I like [name_m]Philemon[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m]

2 Likes

I like [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m]! Great that it has a nickname you are fond of as well

All the best with your new additions!

2 Likes

I like [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] a lot!

Nikita and Philomen are excellent, especially [name_u]Nikita[/name_u]. Charming, unexpected and lovely

1 Like

Congratulations!
I love [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] with your oldest kids names! [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] would create a magnificent twin set.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s so sweet! Being a twin myself makes this easier for me to handle, I think. Of course it’s a different being a parent. But my twin brother and I are incredibly close, he meant the world to me when we were growing up and he still does. I hope my twins can have the same experience.

4 Likes

I like [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] + [name_u]Nikita[/name_u] or [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] + [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m]. I love Russian names :slight_smile: [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] is gorgeous, btw. A lot of Russian Leonids use Leonya as a nickname which I think is adorable.

2 Likes

Oh, how amazing, congratulations!!
Your current boys have such beautiful names! [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] is an equally handsome choice!

My favorite is [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m]. I don’t think it’s too plain at all, especially with nn [name_m]Kolya[/name_m]! It’s so handsome and sweet. I also really like [name_u]Nikita[/name_u]! It sounds perfect with [name_m]Leonid[/name_m]. I don’t think they’re too much at all! Rosar would be my third choice. I’ve never heard of it before, but it’s so handsome and I love that it honors your father!

2 Likes

I really like [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m]!

1 Like

I know, Russian nicknames are amazing. We’re planning to use Leonya/Lyonya as a nickname for our [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] too.

Leonid and [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] are so perfect together! They’re unusual and a bit exotic (at least to me) but not easily mispronounced and I think they’re lovely with their big brother’s names. All of them would be very distinct from the other and I like that.

2 Likes

Nikita is my favorite what about [name_m]Sigurd[/name_m]

[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] sounds very good with siblings. [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] & [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] are great together!

Congratulations on your twins! As you said, being a multiple is a great feeling. I’m so glad that I’m a triplet :slight_smile: (Want to tag @anon68906791 here)

2 Likes

I love [name_m]Tadeusz[/name_m] and [name_m]Philemon[/name_m] with your sibset!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] and [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] together! Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Nikita[/name_u] is fabulous! I don’t think it would be too much with [name_m]Leonid[/name_m]. In fact, I love them together.

[name_m]Philemon[/name_m]…yeah, I don’t love this one as much, personally. But I also don’t think it matches [name_m]Leonid[/name_m] as well anyway.

[name_m]Nikolai[/name_m] is a favorite of mine, too. It’s somewhat more familiar to most people than your older sons’ names, but it’s certainly not common! And I love [name_m]Kolya[/name_m]!

Rósar might be my favorite of your list, though. It’s really unique, and I’m really loving the way it sounds with [name_m]Leonid[/name_m]. (I don’t see it as feminine, and it sounds distinct enough from [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] to me…)

[name_u]Love[/name_u] seeing [name_m]Tadeusz[/name_m] on someone’s list! It’s been used in my own family, and I rarely hear it anywhere else. Anyway, it’s true that most people would mispronounce it, but I wouldn’t rule it out entirely just because of that.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this could help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like your options already.
I think [name_u]Alexis[/name_u] would be nice too

1 Like

It’s pronounced KHYUR-tur, but the kh-sound is rather soft. Where we live now, most people just say YUR-tur or even YOR-tur, and I’ve stopped correcting them :roll_eyes: :sweat_smile:

I quite like [name_m]Sigurd[/name_m], but I prefer Sigur. It’s been on my list for a while now, but SO doesn’t love it.

How about [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] too. That is so handsome.

1 Like