Two different options

Hi all

I have had an idea of hyphenating the name Lucy with another name. I would go by both names not necessarily both at the same time but I would answer to both. My thought is I could be Lucy something or something Lucy. This way Lucy is still one of my first names but my family don’t have to call me Lucy. I think another short name would be best either one or two syllables. Any suggestions?

Some names I have thought of is Anne, Faye, Grace, Jane and Rose.

Another option is to make my name Lucinda with the nickname Lucy. My family would call me Lucinda and friends Lucy. I much prefer just Lucy over Lucinda to be honest.

I can’t use just Lucy as my sister has said she wants to use Lucia when her daughter is born. She has known about my love for the name Lucy though way before she fell pregnant. I have even started going by Lucy with some friends just not family at the moment. They are still getting their heads round me changing my name except for my parents who are being really supportive and trying to help me find the perfect name.

So which option do you think is best? What would you do in my position?

Thanks for any advice and insight you can bring to this situation.

What about [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]? If not I quite like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f]. Other ideas:
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Blue[/name_u]/[name_u]Blu[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Ray[/name_u]/[name_u]Rae[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]

I can’t use [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f] as my family can’t seem to pronounce it. I do like it however.

From your suggestions I like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] but probably spelt [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f].

what do you think of these?

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Bay[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Myra[/name_f]

What about [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]? Too close to [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]?

If you prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] to [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], I would suggest just using [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. The only reason to keep a longer name option would be if you want the option of having a longer, fuller name for future use.

Personally, I like the longer name option as opposed to a a hyphenated name option, especially with the name [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] can hold its own as a name, and it is distinct enough that it is hard to pair with another name as a joint first name. Still, there might be a winning combination that works for you!

Still, if [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] feels like your name, would it be awful if you were named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] while your niece was named [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]? Of course the “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]” sound is the same and they share the same nicknames, but I would see it is a great way to honor family connections, and it makes for a great story that you can share with your niece about how much love you have for your shared names. That sounds great to me, unless for you this causes too much anxiety or heartbreak.

Hypenated Names …

Note: These are names that stood out on your list or hypenated names that I think could work.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Bliss[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-Bloom
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Brett[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Bryn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Cai[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Cait[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Cate[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Day[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Dot[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Gael[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Gail[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Glynis[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Jai[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Leigh[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Loa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Lyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Lysa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Whit[/name_u]

Longer Names that Could Be Shorted to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (Other than [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]) …

Liusaidh
Lumira
Luppenea
Luneve

Distinct Names that Could Have [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a Stretched Nickname …

Note: These names could be complimented by a middle name that when combined with the first name makes [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] a more clear nickname choice if the “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]” and “cy” sounds if they are not prominent in the first name. These could also be middle name ideas. These names may be far from your preferences, but something could work!

[name_f]Adelice[/name_f]
Alicka
[name_f]Alycia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f]
[name_u]Felice[/name_u]
Felicey
[name_f]Felicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
Flicka
Julica
Kalica
[name_f]Larissa[/name_f]
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
Laurian
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lore[/name_f]
[name_f]Loria[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lovisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lux[/name_f]
Lyanna
Lycaste
Lydian
Lyris
Lyrisa
[name_f]Lysa[/name_f]
Lysithea
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
Roselica
Ulicia
Walice
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u]

If you prefer [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] to [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], I would suggest just using [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. The only reason to keep a longer name option would be if you want the option of having a longer, fuller name for future use and/or you want a name option other than [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] that people close to you can use.

Personally, I like the longer name option as opposed to a a hyphenated name option, especially with the name [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] can hold its own as a name, and it is distinct enough that it is hard to pair with another name as a joint first name. Still, there might be a winning combination that works for you!

Still, if [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] feels like your name, would it be awful if you were named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] while your niece was named [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]? Of course the “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]” sound is the same and they share the same nicknames, but I would see it is a great way to honor family connections, and it makes for a great story that you can share with your future niece about how much love you have for your shared names. That sounds great to me, unless for you this causes too much anxiety or heartbreak.

Hypenated Names …

Note: These are names that stood out on your list or hypenated names that I think could work.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Bliss[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-Bloom
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Brett[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Bryn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Cai[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Cait[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Cate[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Day[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Dot[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Gael[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Gail[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Glynis[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Hilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Jai[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-Lei
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Leigh[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Loa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Lyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Lynde[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Lysa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Merle[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Neve[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Page[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-Pier
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Saige[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Shay[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_m]Sol[/name_m]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_m]Wit[/name_m]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Whit[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-Zeal

Longer Names that Could Be Shorted to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (Other than [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]) …

Liusaidh
Lumira
Luppenea
Luneve

Distinct Names that Could Have [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a Stretched Nickname …

Note: These names could be complimented by a middle name that when combined with the first name makes [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] a more clear nickname choice if the “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]” and “cy” sounds if they are not prominent in the first name. These could also be middle name ideas. These names may be far from your preferences, but something could work!

[name_f]Adelice[/name_f]
Alice
Alicka
[name_f]Alycia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f]
[name_u]Felice[/name_u]
Felicey
[name_f]Felicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
Flicka
Julica
Kalica
[name_f]Larissa[/name_f]
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
Laurian
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lore[/name_f]
[name_f]Loria[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lovisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Lux[/name_f]
Lyanna
Lycaste
Lydian
Lyris
Lyrisa
[name_f]Lysa[/name_f]
Lysithea
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
Roselica
Ulicia
Walice
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u]

For a longer name with short form [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], I think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is a great option. I had an aunt [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] who was mostly called [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] by the family. I think you do need to love the long form too, so don’t settle for [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] if you don’t love it.

Or hyphenating is another option as you say. Or you could use 2 names as your first but not hyphenate them, eg [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_f]May[/name_f].

My favourites with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are [name_f]May[/name_f] (I much prefer this classic spelling), [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f]/[name_f]Cate[/name_f] or [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_f]Anne[/name_f] goes as well.

If I was in your position I would still use Lucy on its own. You made it clear to your sister the love you had for this name way before she was pregnant. If she wants to use Lucia, fine but you gave her the heads up that you love this name and she shouldn’t expect you not to use Lucy anymore. I personally just find that incredibly rude.

I agree with this too.

Thank you all for commenting.

giaberry - I can’t use [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f] as I and my family can’t pronounce it. From your suggestions I like [name_f]Mae[/name_f] but I would spell it [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Belle[/name_f].

girlwhirly - Thank you for your suggestions. From the list I like [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] but think they are to long with using two first names together. Maybe as one of my middle names.

wittyusername103 - I can’t use [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] as one of my neighbours is called [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]. I don’t want her thinking I named myself after her.

mckinha - Thank you for your feedback. I do like [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] but not sure if works with my family names. I don’t want to appear like I have changed my name you see. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] works best I believe. I myself don’t think it will be bad with me being named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and my niece [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], my sister disagrees though. Out of the suggestions I like [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] and [name_u]Lyn[/name_u]. I also really like Lumira just as much as I like [name_f]Lumina[/name_f]. I like the idea of using [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] too. Also like [name_f]Elysia[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Liora[/name_f]. Thank you again for spending so much time in replying.

araminty - I do love the name [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and it’s great to know the story of your Aunt who went by [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. Makes me think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is very usable for my legal and use [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a nickname. I also agree I need to love the longer version of my name as well. [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] is not loved much by me or my parents. But seemed the best fit. I think I will scratch from my list and instead add [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. I like the idea of having two first names that are not hyphenated. I don’t like the hyphen much to be honest. I too like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f].

saintdollface - Thank you for your support. I did indeed tell my family and friends that I was going to change my name to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. That was when my sister said she wanted to use [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] as her new daughters name. I myself don’t have a problem with my niece and I have similar names though I think my sister does. You have convinced me to keep to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] but I might still add another name. Thanks.