Two first names for baby girl

[name_m]HI[/name_m],

I’d like to name our daughter [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] and call her “[name_f]Gigi[/name_f].” [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is my mom’s name and [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] is my [name_f]MIL[/name_f]'s maiden name.

[name_m]How[/name_m] does it ring to you?

Also, what do you think of me putting both [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] as her first names. So that way, we would actually call her [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] but not just [name_f]Grace[/name_f]? If so, what would you do about a middle name?

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

Unless you hyphenate it to [name_f]Grace[/name_f]-[name_m]Garvey[/name_m], I think she’s in for explanations her whole life. I’d personally just name her first name [name_f]Grace[/name_f], middle name [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] and call her [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] in childhood. She can decide if she wants to continue going by [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] in adulthood.

I only know one little girl with a hyphenated first name and she’s already had to drop the second name because it’s a headache, and she’s only 5yo.

I love [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] as a middle name is ok, but I really dislike it as a second first name. [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] doesn’t sound pretty or attractive to me. The nickname [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] could still be used.

I agree with @boyandgirl. I don’t find [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] at all attractive, I’m sorry. [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] is an adorable nickname though.

It’s tacky to me. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is so beautiful as a first name why not use it? [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] can still be one of her middle names. What about something like:

[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m]

:slight_smile:

I think the reason I don’t like the idea of [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] as her first name rather than first name [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and middle name [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] is that [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] is a surname that (in my experience) rarely-if-ever gets used as a given name, especially for girls. [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], for example, would be much easier as a double first name. I vote that you use [name_f]Grace[/name_f] as her first name, [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] as her middle name (perhaps one of two) and call her [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] to your heart’s content.

Thanks all. I know a girl with two first names “[name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_u]Alden[/name_u]” ([name_u]Alden[/name_u] is a family surname) and she’s always been called that and I’ve always loved it (and so has she). But testing the waters with [name_m]Garvey[/name_m]. Its such a strong name in my husband’s family with a clan of over 100, so they are very proud of it. But from the sounds of it, better to keep it as a middle name.

It’s very [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_u]Lane[/name_u], [name_u]Pepper[/name_u] Potts, it too much. But if you like it, you can call her whatever you want. It could be like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] is technically the middle name, but you always say both. So call her [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Garvey[/name_m] all the time, but her first name actually be [name_f]Grace[/name_f], it will save a lot of headaches

CLosing the thread