Two Grandmothers - Middle Name Crisis

My husband and I are expecting child #3, and we have figured out a pretty good way already to honor our family members (which is a tradition in both our families) without arguing over the names. I got to give our first daughter my mother’s name as her middle, and he got to do the same thing with his father’s name for our first son. But, now, with number three on the way, its my turn and probably the last turn I’ll get to honor family members. For a boy, I’ve already decided on [name]Francis[/name] (my grandfather’s name). For a girl though, things get tricky. I have two grandmothers who I’d really like to honor. Their names are [name]Danielle[/name] and [name]Anne[/name], but I was thinking of using the french variation of [name]Anne[/name], [name]Ana[/name]”s (ah-NAY-is), since [name]Anne[/name] is also my middle name and my grandmother is french.

Here are my ideas so far: (we are thinking of [name]Brogan[/name], [name]Brigit[/name], or [name]Ingrid[/name] for our daughter - our four-year-old daughter’s name is [name]Sonja[/name] and our son’s name is [name]Forester[/name])

[name]Just[/name] choosing a grandmother and going with one- [name]Brogan[/name] [name]Ana[/name]”s, [name]Brigit[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]

Two middle names- [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]-[name]Ana[/name]”s, [name]Brigit[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]-[name]Ana[/name]”s. Our last name is one-syllable, so I feel like it could handle a long middle name. But, none of my other children have two middle names, so I wouldn’t want to make them feel weird.

Or doing some combination of the two (something like [name]Dana[/name]”s - pronounced dah-NAY-is)

Suggestions? Also, if you have any first name suggestions, feel free to post them. We’re looking for something either Norwegian or Scandinavian, but I adore [name]Brogan[/name] and other scottish/irish names :slight_smile:

[name]Brogan[/name]: I would definitely assume [name]Brogan[/name] to be a boy, especially with a sister named the feminine [name]Sonja[/name]. It honestly makes me think of Rogaine and the actor [name]Seth[/name] [name]Rogan[/name].

[name]Brigit[/name]: Oh, I think this is so pretty! (I love [name]Brigitte[/name], [name]Brigitta[/name], and [name]Bridget[/name], too.) :slight_smile:

[name]Anais[/name]: I think it’s pretty, but I’ve heard people unfamiliar with its French pronunciation mispronounce it as “anus,” which isn’t a good thing…

Some more Scandinavian/Norwegian names (at least various sites claim these origins):

[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Danica[/name]/[name]Danika[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Liv[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Maren[/name]
[name]Viveca[/name]

Irish/Scottish ideas:

[name]Aveline[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name] (may be too masculine with [name]Sonja[/name], though…)
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Finola[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Talullah[/name]
[name]Rosaleen[/name]

[name]Danielle[/name] is really dated, but I think [name]Danica[/name] is a great alternative. If you’d like to stick with [name]Danielle[/name], how about using it as a middle name for [name]Anneliese[/name]? I think [name]Anneliese[/name] [name]Danielle[/name] works well, and both [name]Danielle[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] are honored.

Similarly, what about combining [name]Danielle[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] with [name]Annabelle[/name]? I think [name]Brigit[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] is gorgeous! :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!

I just want to add that you could use [name]Danica[/name] up front, and use a middle name ending in anne to help the flow: [name]Danica[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] or [name]Danica[/name] [name]Vivianne[/name], for example.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

My husband and I are expecting child #3, and we have figured out a pretty good way already to honor our family members (which is a tradition in both our families) without arguing over the names. I got to give our first daughter my mother’s name as her middle, and he got to do the same thing with his father’s name for our first son. But, now, with number three on the way, its my turn and probably the last turn I’ll get to honor family members. For a boy, I’ve already decided on [name]Francis[/name] (my grandfather’s name).

• You could also honor your grandfather by naming your daughter [name]Frances[/name] or [name]Francesca[/name].

For a girl though, things get tricky. I have two grandmothers who I’d really like to honor. Their names are [name]Danielle[/name] and [name]Anne[/name], but I was thinking of using the french variation of [name]Anne[/name], [name]Ana[/name]”s (ah-NAY-is), since [name]Anne[/name] is also my middle name and my grandmother is french.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Annabel[/name]. [name]Frances[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]!

Here are my ideas so far: (we are thinking of [name]Brogan[/name], [name]Brigit[/name], or [name]Ingrid[/name] for our daughter - our four-year-old daughter’s name is [name]Sonja[/name] and our son’s name is [name]Forester[/name])

[name]Brogan[/name] makes me think of a shoe, and it actually means shoe.
[name]Brigit[/name] - love!
[name]Ingrid[/name] - love!

[name]Just[/name] choosing a grandmother and going with one- [name]Brogan[/name] [name]Ana[/name]”s, [name]Brigit[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]

Two middle names- [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]-[name]Ana[/name]”s, [name]Brigit[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]-[name]Ana[/name]”s. Our last name is one-syllable, so I feel like it could handle a long middle name. But, none of my other children have two middle names, so I wouldn’t want to make them feel weird.

For me, two middle names would be a bit much. But I know some people love to have two middle names.

Or doing some combination of the two (something like [name]Dana[/name]”s - pronounced dah-NAY-is)

Usually I don’t like invented names.

Suggestions ( my fave Celtic names):
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Lilias[/name]

My fave Scandinavian names:
[name]Anneka[/name]
[name]Viveka[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Marianna[/name] - this is the name of my Danish friend. I thought this was a Spanish name, but apparently they use it in Denmark.
[name]Sophie[/name] (pronounced SOFF-ie) - this is what [name]Marianna[/name] wants to name her daughter someday. This is how they pronounce it in Denmark. I don’t know how to spell it.

My faves on the above two lists are [name]Anneka[/name] and [name]Ailsa[/name].
It was so fun helping you! [name]Love[/name] your kids’ names and all your name ideas.

[name]Annabelle[/name] is a very pretty suggestion! I will definitely see what my hubby thinks. I actually think it sounds very nice with [name]Ingrid[/name] - while just saying [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] alone may not have the perfect flow, it definitely works with our last name. I also love the idea of using [name]Frances[/name] or [name]Francesca[/name] for either a first or middle name, for my granddad. Thanks for all the suggestions! They are really helpful - both my husband and I have a hard time thinking of names that don’t belong to people we know, and I often get discouraged when having to skim through long lists of Scandinavian names where the A’s alone take up 5 pages. This has really been a big help! Thanks so much!

[name]Glad[/name] we could help! I think [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] is great, as is [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Frances[/name]. Please let us know what you decide!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] and [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]! Also love [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name]! I think [name]Ingrid[/name] is soo cute!