Two kiddos start with same letter, does the third?

We have two girls who start with the same letter. It was NOT planned hence naming my second in the hospital the day she was born. It was just a name that we both loved and it suited her. Now, with the third girl on the way soon, I’ve been told throughout my entire pregnancy We NEED to name her with the same letter as her sisters or she will feel
Left out… we would like to have total of 4 kids and I can’t imgaine having 4 kiddos starting with the same letter! It just doesn’t make sense to me to pick a name to just go with a theme? We love a name that starts with a different letter but I’m having some serious mom guilt to if I’m going to make her feel left out! Any advice is appreciated!

I would say go with the name you love regardless, especially if the ‘theme’ was not purposeful. If it were me I would definitely regret it more if I didn’t love my baby’s name, than if it didn’t match her siblings.

If you plan on having a fourth, then definitely use a name you love. Then either use a different initial for the fourth, or the same initial as the third, and it won’t matter.

I’m assuming that neither you nor your husband share the same initial as the girls? My only other suggestion would be that if one of you share the initial, you could use the other parent’s initial for the third and fourth (ex: you are [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] and your daughters are [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f], your husband is [name_m]Matt[/name_m], use M for babies #3 and #4) But that’s only if you WANT matchiness.

Not necessary to match the initials. If you do, you might wind up feeling awkward… Also, it’s harder to label all their stuff!

Chose any name you’d like to choose, and don’t worry about what letter it starts with.

If anything, she might feel special! I think if my siblings were [name_f]Katie[/name_f] and [name_f]Kara[/name_f], I’d rather be named [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] than [name_f]Kaley[/name_f]!

Definitely choose something you love and make sure it begins with a different letter. Two starting with the same is fine, but 3 or more - no. Please ignore the people saying otherwise and don’t enter into discussion about it, and best not to discuss the name you choose until it’s announced after her birth.

Two kids with the same initial can easily be a coincidence. Three is definitely a theme!

And that’s totally fine if a theme is what you want, but if you picked your first two children’s names based on how much you like them and you definitely don’t want 4 kids with matching initials I would change it now.

Personally, if I met three kids and two of them had the same initial but the third didn’t, I’d barely notice. And I like names a lot more than your average person on the street I’d imagine!

If you want to tie the names in with each other, one option would be to use a name that still features the repeating initial letter but doesn’t begin with it - so for example you have two daughters called [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f], baby number 3 could be [name_f]Viola[/name_f] and would still tie in nicely. Extra brownie points there for double [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] naming :slight_smile:

Or you could tie them together with number of syllables or letters, depending on what your other children are called. My siblings and I have three letter, four letter and five letter names, with one, two and three syllables in age order. The names don’t have many repeating sounds but it links them!

If you’re planning on a fourth, I’d especially focus on using a name that didn’t begin with the same letter. It’s definitely not a requirement that you continue “a theme.”

Thank you everyone for your feedback!! I appreciate it a lot and feel a lot better with our decision! :).

You definitely don’t have to! That’s pigeon holing yourself into a box and is totally unnecessary. Especially if you plan to have a fourth child. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t let other people impose a theme on your family, these are not their children to name.