Two Middle Name Dilemma

My husband and I both have my last name as a second middle name, and his last name as our legal last name. We’re considering doing this for our baby as well, so it would be BabyFirst BabyMiddle MomLast DadLast. Something like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m] (made up names just for example). Here’s our dilemma – the middle name we have picked (in this case [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]) is also my brother’s first name. Since [name_m]Smith[/name_m] is my family’s last name, my brother is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], which means my brother’s name is right in the middle of the baby’s name. Is that weird? We sort of know it’s a little weird, but just wondering if it’s too weird. We’ve also considered dropping [name_m]Smith[/name_m] for the kids – so just [name_m]Simon[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m]. Any advice?

I don’t think having your brother’s name in the middle of the baby’s name is too weird! Actually, I think it’s kind of sweet, a nice way to honor your brother. If you’re a little apprehensive about it, you could always ask your brother for confirmation - if he’s okay with it, or likes the idea, that might make you feel better about using the name.

While dropping your last name is an option, you could also drop the middle name (your brother’s name) and use your last name as his middle.

Good luck!

I agree with pp, you should talk to your brother about it.
If you still unusre, maybe use another family name or a variation/nickname of his name.
Or you really wanted to give your baby three middles
for example,
First Brother’sname middlename mumlast dad last
First middlename brother’sname mumlast dadlast.

I don’t think it’s too weird. Both of my brothers would think it was awesome. But I agree that if you’re worried, you should talk to your brother.

Definitely ask the brother, but I don’t think it’s that weird. It’s nice that you get to keep your name in there.

This thread is pretty old, but just an update that we decided to change the second name. Rather than using my brother’s first name, we’ll use his middle name, which is also my dad’s middle name and it’s shared with some other distant relatives as well.

Thanks for your help!