Two Middle Names-Opinions and Combinations

I am curious what people think of two middle names. :?: Here in [name_f]England[/name_f], giving your child two middle names is popular. What is your opinion? Would you ever give a child two middle names? What are your favorite name combinations with two middle names?

Yes, I would do it. I have two middle names and while I know some people find it pompous, I always thought it was nice, and I often like the flow better too.

My favourites are:
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosetta[/name_f] [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

Probably others, but they’re the first ones that come to mind.

I don’t have two MNs–but I love the concept! If I ever have a husband, and if I can convince him, we’ll for sure give our children two mns. It’s a family tradition I’d like to get back to, and I just really love it in general. It seems special. It’s a growing trend here in [name_u]America[/name_u], so it doesn’t seem crazy unusual, and I just get to use more names that way. :slight_smile:

My list is fairly extensive, lol, but my combos:

[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] “[name_f]Bella[/name_f]/[name_u]Issy[/name_u]”
[name_f]Arianne[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] “[name_u]Ari[/name_u]”
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_u]Wren[/name_u] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] “[name_f]Liv/name_f/[name_f]Olive[/name_f]”
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [family name] “[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]/[name_f]Emma[/name_f]”
Charlotte Eden [family name] “Lottie/Lola”
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f] [name_f]Odette[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]/[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] ____ ____ (I’m thinking [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]… not sure yet!) “[name_f]Lily[/name_f]”
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]/[name_f]Cate[/name_f]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u]” (not happy with this, but I don’t have anything better yet!)
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u] ____ ____ (I’m leaning toward [name_u]Winter[/name_u] Amélie [name_f]Kate[/name_f]) “[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]”
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] Madelief [name_f]Claire[/name_f] “[name_f]Evie[/name_f]/[name_f]Eve[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]/[name_f]Evie[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]” (or maybe even [name_f]Eva[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] as a double barrel?)
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [[name_f]Lila[/name_f]] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (not sure about the first middle. I’ve been leaning toward [name_f]Lila[/name_f] or [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], though) “[name_f]Ella[/name_f]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f]”
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] “[name_f]Leni[/name_f]”
[name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Odilia[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] “[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]”

And [name_f]Maria[/name_f] and [name_f]Luella[/name_f] “[name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]/[name_f]Ella[/name_f]/[name_u]Lou[/name_u]” are recent additions to my list, so I have no idea for combos yet. I thought maybe [name_f]Luella[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] or [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], but [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] almost feels TOO Italian?

[name_m]Caleb[/name_m] [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] ____ (maybe [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] Kuiper, [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_m]Cole[/name_m], or [name_m]Wilder[/name_m]…)
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_u]Bailey[/name_u] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Brody[/name_m] ____ ____ (even after years of having [name_m]Brody[/name_m] on my list, I still have absolutely no idea for combos! Maybe [name_m]Brody[/name_m] [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], but I’m really not sure)
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Gaspard[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] [family name]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m] Frédéric [[name_m]Conrad[/name_m]?]
[name_u]Addison[/name_u] [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] [[name_m]Kirill[/name_m]?] (still really no ideas for [name_m]Leo[/name_m], either! I love the idea of a heavily-European middle for it, though, like [name_m]Kirill[/name_m], [name_m]Gaspard[/name_m], [name_m]Conrad[/name_m], [name_m]Pascal[/name_m]…)

And I’m considering adding [name_m]Dominic[/name_m], [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Donovan[/name_m], [name_m]Graham[/name_m] “[name_u]Gray[/name_u]”, [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], and [name_m]Peter[/name_m] to my list, although I don’t really have combo ideas (with the exception of [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. I like [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Donovan[/name_m] and [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Andreas[/name_m] quite a lot). I’m not terribly keen on [name_m]Graham[/name_m], but I’d like to add a [name_u]Gray[/name_u] name because my grandmother’s middle is [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and it seems like the easiest way to honor her with a son (plus, I really, really love [name_u]Gray[/name_u]/[name_u]Grey[/name_u]!), but I’m not terribly keen on the other options–[name_m]Grayson[/name_m], Gratian, just [name_u]Gray[/name_u], Grayer–either…

ETA: If there seems to be an overabundance of unusual French names–I don’t think there’s a ton (just Amélie, Frédéric, and Gaspard, which are all less usable in an English speaking country, and definitely more unusual here in America)–it’s just because my best friend was French, and passed away in 2011, and I seem to be drawn to names that remind me of her and her culture. Now I’m starting to debate whether that explanation was necessary, lol, but it seemed like it was when I decided to edit…

Well, I’m not really the sort of person who would give their future child two middle names really I don’t see the point of it (I live in the UK) and I think two middle names is a lot for a kid to handle. The only name I would consider for two middle names is [name_u]Connie[/name_u] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] I really like this combo. But other wise I don’t really like two middle names it’s pointless.

@ashthedreamer, I love your naming style! And, yes, thank you for the explanation. :slight_smile:

I would only do it if I had a good reason. I wouldn’t use two middle names just because I like two names a lot. In my case, we are having our third and last child and there are two relatives names we would like to use. We may have to go with a double to include both sides. Our first two children have single middle names for a family member.

I do not like two middle names, [name_m]Just[/name_m] not my style. I will not be giving my future children two middles.

@hazelmae - thank you! :slight_smile: I love a lot of the names in your signature, as well–particularly [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]! All of them have been either on my list or a very high contender for my list at one point or the other. :slight_smile:

I love double middle names for girls (there are so many beautiful girls’ names to choose from!), but I usually find it a bit pompous for boys. I generally prefer longer names for girls, and shorter, more direct, names for boys.

I don’t mind two middle names but it’s not something I think I’ll do with my own kids (current opinion - in the past I thought I might do 2). I’ve tried putting together combos that way and it never felt quite right with the names I like - it’s easier for me to pair a first name with just one middle. I get caught in trying to make them flow together and in that way I end up only having the pick of names I don’t love as much as others for a 2nd middle so I don’t think it’s worth it for me.

I often find 2 middle combos very stylish sounding though, just for other people’s children :wink:

The only time I’d use a second middle name is if I was honouring a family member with the first middle name and I couldn’t shake a name that was second favourite to the first. e.g. if we had a son, I’m sure we’ll use the middle name [name_m]John[/name_m] to honour my boyfriend’s father but I really dislike the name [name_m]John[/name_m] so it’ll probably be a second middle so I can still get a couple of favourite boy names out of my system! For a girl, we won’t have that situation, so I’ll probably just have one middle name.

@ashthedreamer, Thank you :slight_smile:

Interesting to see everyone’s thoughts on the subject. I am debating on 2 middle names for a boy, though it’s something I never thought I’d do. The reason being my husband and I can’t agree on first name so I wanted to use one of them as a middle but we also want his name as a middle.