Two Middle Names

A child having two middle names was something that I had never really hear of until I came to nameberry… that being said I am a childless eighteen year old. Is this relatively new or has it been going on for a while?
After I discovered the whole why-not-have-both (like the taco adds??), it got me thinking… and yes I could use two middle names for my future children!
But… if you give one of your kids two middle names… do you have to give them ALLL two middle names?
For example…
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] Dahl.
If I were to add another name to create two middle names, I would use [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_f]Therese[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] Dahl (I think it just flows better that way, as opposed to [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] Dahl [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]).

But [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Lux[/name_f] is also on the list… and I think it is just fine as it is and even if I had to add something, I dont think I could.
And then the boys names, I wouldn’t want to add another middle name.

I’m keen to just know all the information you berries have got on double middle names! Did you do it for some kids and not others? Did you do it just for girls and not boys? Did you feel like you had to give a second middle name to your second child after you did with your first?

I don’t mind two middle names, but [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Lux[/name_f]! Sound like some rich, young and pretty woman.

1 Like

I have two middle names, and even though sometimes it can be a pain filling out forms, I like mine because they are family names that mean a lot to me. Personally, I would only do two middle names if they had real significance, and the whole name flowed well. Also, I would give all children two middle names, because I like the symmetry and wouldn’t want a child to feel left out with just one. But that’s just my humble opinion, you do what you think is best. All your name choices are beautiful, by the way xx

My sister, my brother and I all have 2 middle names but for no special reason (not to honor anybody) however it would feel weird if one of us had only one middle name.

I love 2 middle names (our son has 2) but I do find it odd when one sibling has 2 and the other has 1. That being said, it does happen and is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I have noticed that often girls get 2 middles but boys don’t, which makes me a little sad :slight_smile:

I love two middle names (you get to use more name that you love, what’s not to like?!), but I would always give all my children two or all my children one. I know I would have been jealous if my siblings had had one more middle name than me!

We’re giving our firstborn two middle names, one we love and one family name. I think we might continue this pattern for any future kids.
Two MNs are more common in some cultures. I happen to not have a mn at all, so I really appreciate them :slight_smile:

I think two middle names can definitely work. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] Dahl does flow better than with the middle names reversed.

My youngest brother has two middle names, while my other brother and I just have one. No big deal in our family… My brothers’ names both start with the same letter while mine is different, and that’s also a non-issue. I will say that my brothers having family middle names and me having a middle name that sounded “okay” has always made me really irritated (which is why, when I changed my name, I gave myself a family middle name).

I will be giving my baby (two weeks to go) two middle names. I have never considered less than than two! I like to honor for middle names, so a girl will honor maternal great grandmothers with middle names - [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and a boy will honor the grabdfathers, one who is deceased - [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m].

[name_m]Both[/name_m] my kids have double middles. I didn’t want anyone to feel left out and wanted to give my maiden name to my son.

I’m personally not a fan of two middle names but if you do, I think you should give all your children two or one. Unless you do girls get two middle names and boys get one, etc.

My only exception is adoption. I think keeping at least one of the child’s birth names is important.

Well, right now we’re just brainstorming names, seeing what works and what doesn’t, which names we’ll never get tired of and which are just names we have a crush on so to speak, but some have two middles, some one. We’re only getting started on the boys’ list, but the girls are pretty much done. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a little more tweaking ([name_f]Pandora[/name_f] needs some work I think). Some have two middles, some have one. We like the name to tell a story, paint a picture, sing a song (whatever), and when it’s done, it’s done. Sometimes the story needs more to finish it off, other times what it has is perfect. If that means some children have two middles and some one, so be it. Hopefully there’s no insecurity or jealousy with that.

I think I’ll be painting a visual interpretation of their name once the child is here and they’re named, so I hope that helps them understand what their name is. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] Eilonwy [name_f]Snow[/name_f], for example, is a castle (that’s a very brief interpretation, but that’s the gist of it). If I took the [name_f]Snow[/name_f] or the Eilonwy out, the painting wouldn’t be complete. [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Ondine[/name_f] is the sea. If I add anything to it, the painting changes. It might not be the sea anymore, it could be a pond or a fish, or who knows what, but she wouldn’t be the sea I’ve envisioned.

I’m not sure I’ve explained it right. :slight_smile: In short, I hope my children are as weird as I am and they get it.

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Lux[/name_f] is gorgeous, by the way.

I grew up with my brother having two middles and me having one. It never bothered me. When we had our first we decided we would use the middle spot to honor family, and I really wanted to honor my late father, but also wanted to include my husbands name. Our initial plan was to use one of the names for the first child, and if we ever had another boy, then use the other. I decided that if we never had another boy I would regret not using both, so we did. Th same thing happened with our second baby, a girl. Wanting to honor both sides of the family we again went with two middles. If we had only used one middle the second time around, I would have felt no pressure one way or the other or the third child, but now that we have two, each with two middles, we will definitely be giving the third child two middles as well…trouble is were running out of family members to honor!