UGH!!! And now he wants to change her name! UPDATE! See pg 4

See the results of this poll: Please read explanation below before choosing your answer.

Respondents: 50 (This poll is closed)

• Sariah Raquel: 19 (38%)
  • Sariah Caitlin: 13 (26%)
  • Caitlin Sariah: 8 (16%)
  • Caitlin Raquel: 0 (0%)
  • Caitlin (other mn): 0 (0%)
  • Sariah Caitlin Raquel: 6 (12%)
  • Caitlin Sariah Raquel: 4 (8%)

Yikes! Sorry about the naming difficulties :confused:

Personally, I wouldn’t change her first name. I think putting [name]Caitlin[/name] as her middle name is the best option. I wouldn’t even call her [name]Caitlin[/name]. [name]Just[/name] having it there would be nice. I imagine telling my family “[name]Just[/name] kidding, we’re going to call the baby something else now…” and having that be kind of awkward.

Plus, [name]Sariah[/name] is a great name- much more uncommon than [name]Caitlin[/name] and Caiti (I knew 12 of them growing up). I think any girl would love to have that name vs. going by her last initial to differentiate. And if she disagrees, she should get to choose to go by her middle name- not be called by her middle name from birth (or 7 mo later).

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Please don’t change [name]Sariah[/name]'s name! It is a beautiful name, and while [name]Caitlin[/name] is nice, I agree with the pp that, at 7 months old, it would be a little confusing to others if you change her name now.
I really like the flow of [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Raquel[/name].

I agree…[name]Sariah[/name] is a lovely name, and [name]Caitlin[/name], though cute, is excessively common right now. I know 5 under the age of 5, and three of those are on my [name]STREET[/name] alone! And then aside from that I know four little Kates. Food for thought if you’re concerned at all about that kind of thing…

[name]Ah[/name], no! I thought [name]Sariah[/name] was starting to fit her? Didn’t you say she was becoming her name and you were loving it again? I really wouldn’t change her name, [name]Raquel[/name]. If you need to do it, change it to [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name], but I would not change her first name. I don’t know that I’d personally only call her by [name]Caitlin[/name], either - maybe as a nickname or something, but I wouldn’t drop [name]Sariah[/name] completely, for sure. I’m sorry your family is having such a tough time with this! I do think [name]Sariah[/name] is a perfect name for her, and it blends beautifully with [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Alanna[/name], and honestly it sounds better with your last name than [name]Caitlin[/name] [name]Sariah[/name] (thought that may be trivial…), so I just wouldn’t change it! You put a lot of thought into this name when you were expecting [name]Sariah[/name], so I’d give it more time - it will become her!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I really think you should leave her name alone. [name]Sariah[/name] is absolutely lovely and it’s HER NAME. I admit I might be a bit biased because I really don’t love [name]Caitlin[/name]. I can see how the sound is appealing, but it SO overdone, especially in the crowd 15-15 years older than your daughter - you coulnd’t walk across a college campus right now without tripping over at least three [name]Caitlin[/name]/[name]Katelyn[/name]/[name]Kaitlin[/name], etc.'s.

I would stick with [name]Sariah[/name]. [name]Sariah[/name] clearly means something to you and it has been her name for seven months, changing her name now to [name]Caitlin[/name] or something else would be like saying “just kidding! We’re actually calling you ____ now!” I think your best bet would be to use [name]Caitlin[/name] in the middle. You can go with [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name], or [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] [name]Raquel[/name] if you wanted to keep your name in there. Then you could always call her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Cate[/name] (my family’s always called me [name]Lisa[/name] [name]Paige[/name]) and as she got older she could chose which name she wanted to go by, whether it be [name]Sariah[/name] (or another nickname like [name]Sari[/name]), [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Cate[/name], [name]Caitlin[/name], etc. It’s best to leave her some options I think. Whatever you choose, good luck and go with your heart- but also keep in mind what is best for your baby :slight_smile:

I had to compromise on alot of names I loved for my daughter because my husband has very different taste. So if he came to me and said he hated the name we chose and offered to let me use one of my absolute favorites I would be pretty tempted. But after 7 months, i think it’s just too late. I would be pretty mad at him for putting me in that situation, though.
I think that if [name]Sariah[/name] is truly not the name and you’re going to regret keeping it, then you should change it now but you better move fast. But if you both like [name]Sariah[/name] then you should probably accept that it’s her name, or at least your husband should since he seems to be the one having the problem.
WHat is it about the name that your husband doesn’t like?

Stick with [name]Sariah[/name]! I personally like it so much better than the millions of Caitlins I seem to know. I think she will appreciate that her name is different and beautiful and she will “become” [name]Sariah[/name] in your eyes.

I’m going to be the only one to say so far that if you feel like [name]Caitlin[/name] fits her personality better, than you should absolutely change it. While it may be more popular, it is more important that a name fits. If 7 months after she got her name it still doesn’t fit her, it seems like the wrong name might have been picked in the first place. Plus [name]Caitlin[/name] actually goes better with the more normal [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Alanna[/name] than the exotic [name]Sariah[/name].

I think that you have to go with what you feel fits her! I might be biased because my name is [name]Caitlin[/name] (and I love it), but I think that you should put [name]Caitlin[/name] in her name and keep [name]Sariah[/name] too. I think [name]Caitlin[/name] [name]Sariah[/name] is equally lovely to [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]. That way you can call her what you think fits best, and then she can choose when she is older if she feels otherwise! :slight_smile:

If you are set on [name]Caitlin[/name] fitting her somehow I think it might be a good idea to use it as a middle name somewhere. I wouldn’t even remove [name]Raquel[/name] as it is a special name as well. If he and YOU as well are set on [name]Caitlin[/name] I would do [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] [name]Raquel[/name] or [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Raquel[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]…Good luck!

Have you considered getting a husband with a new name?

I’m kidding, but that would drive me crazy!

You say you wanted [name]Caitlin[/name] the whole time… what was your hubby’s objection to it and why is he so set on it now?

I do think, if she already has things with her name on it, that you should keep that name somehow (unless you’re prepared to throw those things out.) I think it sounds good moving it to the middle and putting [name]Caitlin[/name] up front.

I don’t think 7 months is “too late” I think one year would be. Good luck working it out!

I wouldn’t change her name personally. I think that you and your husband made a beautiful choice. But, that said, if you both don’t think that her name suits her, maybe you should change it.

Wow… what a huge response! Thank you so much to every single one of you for your input, we greatly appreciate it! I will try to answer everyone’s questions.

For those of you that had concerns about letting the family know… most of the people in my family don’t care for her name, and when we said we were thinking of changing it - well their ears perked up pretty high. The only ones I’d be concerned about are my other children.

I do realize how common [name]Caitlin[/name] is. That is one reason why we picked [name]Sariah[/name] over some others we had mutually agreed on ([name]Julianna[/name], [name]Cadence[/name], [name]Ella[/name]). However, if he would have said yes to [name]Caitlin[/name], I wouldn’t have even looked for another name. We originally wanted an unusual name since our son is [name]Jacob[/name], and then we have [name]Alanna[/name] - which isn’t as common as [name]Jacob[/name]. We loved not hearing [name]Alanna[/name] everywhere. But I had this feeling about [name]Caitlin[/name] that surpassed the popularity of the name.

[name]Lauren[/name], [name]Sariah[/name] has started to fit her, but not nearly as much as [name]Caitlin[/name] would. She just looks like a [name]Caitlin[/name], and I’ve said that from the beginning (I don’t know if you remember that).

Katielea, yes I am angry with him for bringing this up now! I had struggled with her name from a few weeks after her birth when we started getting people saying “keeping up with [name]Tom[/name] and [name]Katie[/name]?” or “Wow, that sounds middle-eastern”, or “You’re not Arabic”, or “That’s a Mormon name”. I struggled with her name up until about a month or so ago. He didn’t want to change it before… until someone told him it “sounds like a black person’s name”… I really hope that I don’t offend any one (I’m just simply stating a fact). From there on out, he’s wanted to change her name to something that “fits” her better.

Pdxlibrarian, Ha! That is hilarious!

Scarlettsmom, I wanted [name]Caitlin[/name] or [name]Cailyn[/name], I tried for months to get either. He was firm on not having [name]Cailyn[/name] because of a bratty girl we know named [name]Kayla[/name], and the [name]Cai[/name] part was too close to her name. I finally dropped [name]Cailyn[/name] and tried only [name]Caitlin[/name] - I mean all the way up until the final week of the pregnancy. He kept saying no, which I couldn’t understand because he had wanted it for our older daughter, too until he found a different name he liked. The main reason for not choosing [name]Caitlin[/name] with this baby was that he didn’t like [name]Cait[/name] or [name]Caity[/name] as her nn!

Like I said I really don’t want to just drop [name]Sariah[/name]. I have been calling her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] all day. Can I do that - can I have her entire first name be [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] or [name]Sariah[/name]-[name]Caitlin[/name]??? That might be a little radical. Should I just put [name]Caitlin[/name] as the mn and still call her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]? I think in my head, I’ve already made up my mind to change her mn to [name]Caitlin[/name] and keep [name]Sariah[/name] as her first. Each name has their own pros and cons. They are both so beautiful, too. It wouldn’t be such a big issue if I didn’t feel like [name]Caitlin[/name] was HER name from the beginning.

If you dislike [name]Sariah[/name] so much and you are changing the name anyway, why keep it in there? Go ahead and change it to what you will [name]LOVE[/name] and be done with it. [name]Sarah[/name] has the same sound and would cause less confusion if you want to keep the initials. [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] ([name]Sarah[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is a cute nn). Or just put her first name as [name]Caitlin[/name] and choose a middle name you really like. At 7 months it shouldn’t be confusing to her yet and if nobody is attached to the name she has now I don’t see the point in keeping it just for the sake of keeping it.

[name]Raquel[/name],

You’re right. It might be weirder for [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Alanna[/name] than anyone else, and shame on your family for being so judgmental about this entire naming business with Miss [name]Sariah[/name]! I understand that comments from others can sway your view of the name, though, so you are in a tough spot.

That being said, you can absolutely call her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]! She can go by two names! I know a person who goes by [name]Anna[/name] [name]Marie[/name] pretty much exclusively, and only a few people call her [name]Anna[/name]. You could do that with this little one if you like. I know you were looking into a nickname for [name]Sariah[/name] a little while ago, so I don’t know if you’ll want to use that mouthful forever, but over time it might become her. I’m sorry she seems so much like a [name]Caitlin[/name] over a [name]Sariah[/name] at this point - I’ve never met a [name]Sariah[/name] so I don’t really know what one is, but I’d imagine a spunky, clever little girl with dark hair and rosy cheeks. Anyway, that’s beyond the point. You could call her something like [name]Sari[/name] [name]Cait[/name] if you need something shorter, and I definitely think if you feel so strongly about this, you should compromise on [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] as her name. I would not, however, completely changer her first name - you, your family, and especially [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Alanna[/name] have gotten used to this already, right? Why throw everyone for another loop? I think [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] is the perfect way to ease into a name change, if you feel you really need one, while using a name you’ve always loved ([name]Caitlin[/name]) and one I think you really do love and appreciate despite the negative feedback you’ve gotten on it ([name]Sariah[/name]). What do you think?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I agree, [name]Lauren[/name]. I love [name]Caitlin[/name], and I have come to love [name]Sariah[/name]. So when we change her name do I put [name]Caitlin[/name] in the mn spot, and just call her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name], or do I actually make her first name [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]? That would probably too much - all her teachers calling her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]

My husband had a friend who was named [name]Eric[/name] [name]Sumner[/name] [name]Shaw[/name] LN. Everyone called him [name]Shaw[/name] though. This kind of reminds of him - if we were to name her [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] or [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] [name]Raquel[/name], then only call her [name]Caitlin[/name]. But I like [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] - it’s the best of both worlds (not quoting [name]Miley[/name]). I haven’t had a chance to talk to DH about this exact arrangement yet, so we’ll see what he says.

I far prefer [name]Sariah[/name] over [name]Caitlin[/name]! [name]Every[/name] other little girl I meet seems to be named [name]Caitlin[/name]. It is so over done. [name]Sariah[/name] is beautiful and unique. Have you tried findind a nn for [name]Sariah[/name] that your husband might like? If your husband insists then I would go with [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name] and let the chose be up to her later on what she would like to be called.