“Ugly” old names

I have such a crush on [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] right now… I would love to have a little fam called [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]!

I also like [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] but it’s my grandfather’s name and he never liked it so probably wouldn’t use…

I think [name_m]Casper[/name_m] is totally usuable. [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and [name_u]Howard[/name_u] are ready for a come back and I know two baby [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]’s!

Norman and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] are too mid-century for me. I don’t think most mid-century names are quite ready to come back ([name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_f]Karen[/name_f], [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_m]Alan[/name_m], [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m] etc.) Names usually need a hundred years or so to feel fresh again.

Ones I don’t love and wouldn’t use include:

Gertrude
[name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Helga[/name_f]
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]

You can totally still use [name_m]Casper[/name_m]. In the Netherlands ittis a common name with the spelling [name_m]Kasper[/name_m]

There are quite a few old man names I like:
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u]
[name_m]Claudius[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]
[name_u]Madison[/name_u] (originally a guy’s name)
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]
[name_m]Aurelio[/name_m]
[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]

Saturnino, [name_m]Ciro[/name_m], and Inocente are Spanish ones I like.

Casper, [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] are amazing names! I believe all three are very usable nowadays.

I love:
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Bernard[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_u]Quentin[/name_u]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m]
[name_u]Carlisle[/name_u]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Balthazar[/name_m]
[name_u]Basil[/name_u]
[name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]

I prefer to call them grandpa chic! Haha [name_f]My[/name_f] sons names are totally this style. Their names are [name_m]Roderick[/name_m] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u].

I love all those names! Very usable imo. Grandpa and grandma names are making a comeback.

Some others:
[name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
[name_m]Roger[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]
Fenwick
[name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_u]Garnett[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] (similar to [name_m]Casper[/name_m])
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_u]Carlyle[/name_u]/Carlisle
[name_m]Frank[/name_m]

I love these.
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Leopold[/name_m], and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] are my favorites!

I know this is old but I love “old man” names. [name_f]My[/name_f] W@lter is 8. Never met another.

Essentially my boy name style is I want someone to see my kid’s name written down and assume they are 80 years old. :joy:

It is also important for me to chose names that (knock on wood), won’t go to the girl’s side. Many of these seem very unlikely to do so.

That’s my thing, too. I’m not really fond of masculine names on girls. I prefer [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] on boys. So the [name_u]Howard[/name_u], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] names appeal on that level, as well.

1 Like