Uh oh! Felix & Fiona...

I have finally found the girl name that I love… [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]. The problem is that my favorite boy name is [name]Felix[/name] [name]Newton[/name]. My husband and I want at least 3 kids, so hopefully we’ll end up with at least one boy and one girl. I have always hated matchy sib sets, so what do I do? Are [name]Felix[/name] & [name]Fiona[/name] just too similar??

It is a bit matchy, but I would be less worried about the matchiness and more worried that the nicknames of both could end up being “[name]Fee[/name]” which would cause way too much confusion. The easiest thing to do would be to see which you have first, and that child gets the name. Also I think [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] would be a nice alternative. You would still get to use both names, but one would be a middle.

I think they’re too similar. [name]Both[/name] can shorten to [name]Fee[/name], so you’d have to be diligent about using only their full names. If it matters, I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], and I think it’s a lot nicer than [name]Felix[/name] (though there’s nothing really wrong with it).

I’m in agreeance with the others. I’d be concerned because of what they’ll get shortened to. They are both nice names though and sound well together as a whole, but two [name]Fee[/name]'s might get a little confusing.

Yeah…I hate that I love them both so much! I guess this lucky #1 will get first choice :slight_smile:

I really dont think it is a problem. [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] are both great names and I dont think you should count either one out just because they start with the same letter. Apart from the same first first letter they dont sound that similar. I really like the way they sound together actually. My sister has three kids, 2 of which have the same first letter and it has never caused any problems. The boys dont seem to care either.

I really wouldn’t be bothered by this if I met you and you shouldn’t settle for second best, it’s not fair to either one, knowing they got the name you settled for. Let’s see if I can help the the nn problemo!

[name]Felix[/name]-

[name]Alix[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
Fix (I know, but still)
[name]Newt[/name] (for newton)

[name]Fiona[/name]-

[name]Ona[/name]
[name]Fifi[/name]
[name]Ione[/name]
Fena
Fiet ([name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] combined)
[name]Flower[/name]
Fluer
[name]Flora[/name]

Some are a stretch, but I think using a flowery nn for [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Eli[/name] for [name]Felix[/name] would be super cute!

Well, while the repeating beginning sound isn’t ideal, I don’t think you should give up on a favourite name because of it. If there is another name you love just as much which could take its place, then fine, but if [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Fiona[/name] are your only real loves then The Perfect Sibset isn’t worth compromising on individual names. Your children will be together during their childhood, of course, but once adults they are likely to have different colleagues, different friends et cetera. To a large number of the people in their lives, and for the majority of their lives, they will be simply [name]Fiona[/name], rather than ‘[name]Fiona[/name] who has a brother called [name]Felix[/name]’ as they will be to family.

Also, bearing in mind that I am a [name]Brit[/name] and we love to nickname, and that I like girly nicknames on boys, I would never ever think to nickname [name]Felix[/name] to [name]Fee[/name]. It’s so easy to say already even I don’t need to shorten it, and if I wanted a pet form it would like be something cutesy/ridiculous like Flik or Flexy. And [name]Bella[/name] listed a lot of great, usable nickname options above.

[name]Auburn[/name]

I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I definitely wouldn’t worry about it yet. Wait and see if #1 is a boy or a girl, go with the name you love, and then worry about #2 when you get there. By then you’ll probably have another name you like just as much!

Thanks you guys. I think we will do just that, and name #1 and then see if the other F name is still our favorite by #2. We wouldn’t call [name]Felix[/name] by a nickname, and mostly wouldn’t call [name]Fiona[/name] by one either. One of my nieces goes by [name]Elizabeth[/name], and no one has shortened it yet! We are making this little dilemma fun however by calling the baby “[name]Baby[/name] [name]Fee[/name]” until we know if it’s a boy or girl :slight_smile: