Ultimate Girl Name

If you were having a little girl and knew that she would be your only one, what would you name her? Would you try to honor many people? Or would you just use names that make you happy? [name_m]How[/name_m] would you go about choosing the ultimate girl name?
(I know there is a thread like this somewhere but I cannot find it.)

I think if I knew I was only having one girl, she would be [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]. The initials MJ are a nod to my sister, [name_u]June[/name_u] is a nod to my mother. I also love the nn potential. There’s [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Belle[/name_f], MJ, and [name_u]June[/name_u]/[name_f]Junie[/name_f]. I also just love the sweet southern feel it gives me, and can picture the name wearing well into adulthood :slight_smile:

12 Likes

This is really, really hard! I would say that my absolute favorite name is [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. But [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is more special to me (it’s just so dang popular!) Then there’s the added pressure I’ve put on myself to use the honor name [name_f]Carrie[/name_f], which I do really love, just not as much as [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. I would probably go with [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] [name_u]Dove[/name_u], which honors both of my grandmothers. It would be sad for me to pass up [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] though.

9 Likes

I was just thinking about this earlier today…
I would like to use [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], my late grandmother’s name. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is one of my top favorites… but I like [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] as well! BUT, at the same time, I would like to use a Turkish or Kurdish name to honor my husband’s family.

4 Likes

This is what I’m thinking about right now too. I have two boys and I’ll likely only have one more baby so if it’s a girl she’ll be my only daughter. The only girl grandchild on both sides too so…:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::joy:
I am at a complete loss for first names right now but her middle name would probably be [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] because it honors both grandmas.

5 Likes

Such an interesting question… I guess for me if I was only going to have one girl and knew that I would have a hard time doing an honor name. There are so many women on both mine and my husband side of the family that I would want to honor, that I wouldn’t want to pick one over the other. So, I guess my ultimate girl name would be more based on its meaning rather then it’s personal relationship. [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u] would be my ultimate girl name meaning noble and wise.

7 Likes

I don’t think I would try to use an honor name- that’s not really something I put thought into when thinking of names. I would probably do either [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Wildrose or [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_u]Lark[/name_u]/[name_u]Larkspur[/name_u]. Of course, I am in looooooove with the name [name_f]Calluna[/name_f], but I don’t know how well it would age, and it doesn’t really have any nicknames that I love (and I wouldn’t perpetually call her [name_f]Calluna[/name_f]). Plus, I don’t know what middle name I’d give [name_f]Calluna[/name_f].

5 Likes

I know a [name_f]Calluna[/name_f] around my age (mid-20s)! It’s aged just fine so far. I actually think it’s quite a “grown up” sounding name, like [name_f]Calista[/name_f] or [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f].

She doesn’t go by a nickname, but there are loads of options: [name_f]Calla[/name_f], [name_f]Callie[/name_f], [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_u]Lou[/name_u], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]… (I guess you’ve thought of all those!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmm… I called my eldest daughter [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], so I guess that’s my answer! I still love her name, and it’s got a lot of meaning to us while still being first and foremost two names we love which work well together (I think :wink:).

If I had one more daughter, she’d be either [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] or [name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. I’ve shifted from favouring the first to favouring the second quite recently, but both have been on my list for aeons. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband prefers [name_u]Hero[/name_u] and doesn’t care for [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] (:dizzy_face:) so if I had to choose today it would probably be [name_u]Hero[/name_u] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] :yellow_heart:

If I was to go more classic/traditional/popular, I’d probably pick either [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Zara[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_u]Endellion[/name_u] or [name_f]Zara[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]… :thinking:

11 Likes

I’d go with [name_f]Anna[/name_f] even though it’s close to my own name. It’s just such a beautiful, versatile name, and it works perfectly in so many languages.

7 Likes

I love reading through all of these - so interesting :slight_smile:

Today, I think I’d go with [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Juno[/name_f]. [name_f]Sarai[/name_f] is my all time favourite, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] I just love and [name_f]Juno[/name_f] honours my mum

7 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] is just fantastic. I go through this hypothetical scenario ridiculously often considering that I don’t even plan on having children. I would love to use [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] as a fn, because honoring my late dad, [name_m]David[/name_m], is really important. That being said, [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] is my one true love. It’s been my favorite girl name since I was about eighteen (I’m 36 now.). It’s super unique, & the perfect balance of bold femininity. And I am 100% sure that my dad would want me to use the name that I love first. I would just have to convince myself of that. [name_m]Long[/name_m] story short, I’d probably use [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. Or I’d give my husband the choice between which way he likes it better: [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] or [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. That would help make a decision.

5 Likes

I like the names Roes and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] too, but if I was having a girl I would name her [name_u]Winter[/name_u] Roes

3 Likes

@dogs_books, I think [name_f]Calluna[/name_f]’s one of those rare names that’s unusual, but familiar, and absolutely gorgeous. I’d imagine a [name_f]Calluna[/name_f] would get loads of compliments. The only reason I wouldn’t use it personally, is it unintentionally honours a friend haha.

I think I would go with [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Fae[/name_f], or potentially [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f]. Either combo works to honour my dad, and [name_f]Ann[/name_f] would honour my mum, but I also love [name_f]Fae[/name_f] a lot, so I don’t know if I could give it up. I’ve had [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] as my choice for a daughter for years, so at this point I’d almost feel guilty not using her first (given that I don’t have input from an S/O). I might have chosen [name_f]Ziva[/name_f] a few weeks ago, but I always come back to [name_f]Pandora[/name_f] apparently.

3 Likes

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are pretty set in stone, so it doesn’t bother me too much having to pick (although I would be a little sad never to get my [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]!). I’m really, really not into honour names at all, so wouldn’t use one.

Though [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u] has been nudging at me lately. I’ve always thought of [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as the prettiest name, just not my favourite (if that makes any sense lol-I know it sounds ridiculous). I still feel like I have more of an attachment to [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], but if [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] were somehow out of the running (ie, future DH not liking/loving it), then I think [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] might be right, if not [name_f]Eloise[/name_f].

3 Likes

If I knew this would be my only child, I would name her Tęgąn Łęę Øręštîną. Tęgąn (Tee-gan) is a name I fell in love with as a teenager, and it has stuck above all else over the years. Tęgąn also gives her her own identity while still letting me honor some of the most important people in my life. Łęę is in honor of my Papa, a man who was more a father to me than my own, and my sister-in-law Łîšą who has been as close to a sister to me as I can get. Øręštîną is to honor my 2 brothers RØbĘRt and Çhrîštøphęr (one of the female variations is ÇhrîŠTÎNÂ). Nickname potential would be Tęąk for Tęgąn and Ørî, Rørŷ, Rørî or Rîšą for Øręštîną, with a leaning toward Teak, Ørî and Rîšą.

1 Like

Well my daughter is [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] which is the perfect name for my husband and I. We both love [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] honours both sides of the family.
But I do have a clear favourite girls name - [name_f]Faye[/name_f] - unfortunately my husband isnt a fan.
So if I were to have one daughter by myself it would have been [name_f]Faye[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] haha (in saying that I cant see [name_f]Faye[/name_f] suiting my daughter- names can be confusing)

4 Likes

So, so hard! I’m currently in love with [name_f]Gisela[/name_f] [name_f]Avonlea[/name_f] and [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] Avelina, so maybe one of those. However, I might also do [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]-[name_u]Lynn[/name_u] [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f]. I am distantly related to [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Hardy[/name_m] (from my Dad’s side), so [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is based off of [name_f]Tess[/name_f] from [name_f]Tess[/name_f] of the D’Urbervilles, so this honors my dad’s side. [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]-[name_f]Lynne[/name_f] is the same initials as my mom’s name, so this honors her. [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] honors my aunt, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Also, I just really love the name.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]!!

1 Like

I’d go with [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] since it’s been my favourite name for years. Thankfully, my OH likes it too, probably because of a female UFC champion named it :sweat_smile:. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite combo right now is [name_m]Valentin[/name_m].a [name_f]Colette[/name_f]. But for a real baby I wouldn’t be sure about the middle name(s), because we might want to include one or two honour names.

3 Likes

I’d go with [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] [name_f]Edie[/name_f] [name_f]Olivine[/name_f] I think☺️

2 Likes