Ultrasound may be wrong! Amelie, Siri or Zara?

Yes, I had a boy’s name poll going. Like so many people, we were told that we were “definitely” having a boy only to find out the it might be a girl after all! So I would like to be prepared either way!

We have a son, [name]Finley[/name] [name]Ransom[/name], who we call [name]Finn[/name] most of the time. If the baby is indeed a boy, we’ll call him [name]James[/name] or [name]Stellan[/name] or [name]Arthur[/name].

But if the baby turns out to be a girl, we’re thinking:

[name]Amelie[/name]: means “industrious”, of French origin. One of my favs, and DH likes that it’s similar to [name]Emily[/name].
[name]Siri[/name]: means “beautiful victory”, of Scandinavian origin - diminuative form of [name]Sigrid[/name]. [name]Long[/name] been on my list, and it’s one that DH likes!:slight_smile:
[name]Zara[/name]: means “dawn, eastern light”, of Arabic origin. New to my list, but DH is fluent in Arabic and spent time in [name]Cairo[/name]. The meaning is particularly special to me, too.

I love [name]Stellan[/name] if you have a boy. Most definitely love [name]Zara[/name]!

I love [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Zara[/name]! [name]Siri[/name] is interesting, but it doesn’t have a particularly attractive sound to me, and it’s kind of hard to say. [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Zara[/name] are both lovely, though. I think I prefer [name]Amelie[/name], personally. Are you looking for middle names?

For the record, I am leaning more toward [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Zara[/name] myself, but [name]Siri[/name] keeps popping it’s head up!

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Amelie[/name] with [name]Finley[/name] would be too “cutesy” due to the -ee endings? We do call [name]Finley[/name] [name]Finn[/name], though.

Middle name suggestions would be great, however, we may end up going with a family name like:

[name]Jean[/name] or [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Elinor[/name] or [name]Nora[/name]/h
[name]Helen[/name]

I think [name]Amelie[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] are fine if you call him [name]Finn[/name]. [name]Zara[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] sound good too! For middles, you could do variations on the family names, like [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Annora[/name].

What about…

[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Helen[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Elena[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]

[name]Zara[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Jeannette[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]

[name]Siri[/name] [name]Elena[/name]
[name]Siri[/name] [name]Annora[/name]
[name]Siri[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

Here’s another thought. My birthstone is pearl, and I have always loved pearls in jewelry. It is also a connection I feel to my grandmother, who also loved pearls, who died when I was very young. I have been looking up names that mean “pearl” since I’m not too keen on [name]Pearl[/name] as a name in and of itself.

I’m not a fan of [name]Margaret[/name] or [name]Megan[/name], and my husband doesn’t like [name]Gretchen[/name]/[name]Greta[/name]/[name]Gretel[/name].

What do you think of [name]Mairead[/name]? It is Gaelic for [name]Pearl[/name], so it would be in keeping with her big brother’s name. I think it’s pronounced Muhr-aid (PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong!).

Oh, I hope you will pick [name]Zara[/name]! It is such a gorgeous name and so rarely used. [name]How[/name] wonderful that it would have such special meaning for you both.

[name]Amelie[/name]: I really love this name, but I think it’s a bit matchy with [name]Finley[/name] due to the -lee ending sounds.

[name]Siri[/name]: I think of [name]Suri[/name] [name]Cruise[/name]…

[name]Zara[/name]: I think this is lovely, and like you said, it has meaning to you.

I love your [name]Pearl[/name] idea! [name]Do[/name] you like the name [name]Margot[/name]?

I think that [name]Mairead[/name] is beautiful, and think it works perfectly with [name]Finley[/name]. I’m not well versed in Irish names, so I looked [name]Mairead[/name] up on a site that provides audio pronunciations. I listened several times, and [name]Mairead[/name] was pronounced Mawr-aid, while Muiraid was pronounced “mur-aid.” Another Irish pronunciation site pronounced [name]Mairead[/name] as “muhr-eed,” so I think it’s safe to say that pronunciation issues will likely arise with this name.

Hmm…Hopefully, [name]Pam[/name] or a poster who’s familiar with this name will reply soon! :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!

Well I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Amelie[/name] to death but it seems [name]Zara[/name] has more of a connection with you and it sounds better with [name]Finley[/name]. I would pick [name]Zara[/name] then which is gorgeous aswell:)

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I am very strongly leaning toward [name]Zara[/name] now. BUT I mentioned it again to DH last night, and he shrugged his shoulders and said “meh”! I did follow that up with “Well, mention it again later, and we’ll talk about it”. Now that I’m attached, I’m nervous that he’ll retract his initial liking toward this name!

I’m really thinking that a “[name]Pearl[/name]” middle name is the way to go. Does anyone have any other suggestions than [name]Mairead[/name]? I’m having trouble remembering this one, let alone pronouncing it correctly!

I looked “pearl” up on a translation site…here’s some of my results:

Perlou - Czech
Parel - Dutch
Luu-Luu - Hausa
[name]Perla[/name] - Polish
Perola - Portugese
Skoljka - Serbian
Parla - Swedish
Incisi - Turkish

As well as ‘[name]Perle[/name]’ in [name]German[/name], Danish and Norwegian and ‘[name]Perla[/name]’ in Spanish ^^

In theory, I love [name]Lulu[/name] and [name]Perle[/name], but do these sound/seem strange with [name]Zara[/name]? Is [name]Pearl[/name] by itself OK as a middle name with [name]Zara[/name]?

[name]Zara[/name] [name]Lulu[/name] (yikes! I don’t think I like this one!)
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Perle[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Zara[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. I love it! (And I’m not usually fond of the name ‘[name]Pearl[/name]’, but this combo just wins me over!) [name]Pearl[/name] is the perfect soft balance to the ever so slightly exotic [name]Zara[/name].

I rarely love a name like this one …!

I really like [name]Pearl[/name] in the middle. I feel like it instantly makes a name classic. I know of a little girl [name]Destiny[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. I really dislike [name]Destiny[/name], but [name]Pearl[/name] helps to “calm” [name]Destiny[/name] down a bit.

Thank you so much for your feedback! [name]Zara[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] is a name I will mull over for awhile! I was completely against using [name]Pearl[/name] on it’s own as a middle name, but now it’s growing on me. But the same can be said for [name]Zara[/name]!

I will let everyone know what name we ultimately decide on! Thanks again!