Uncommon names for nickname Cat

Hey berries,

Currently struggling to find a name for my new character. All I know ist that I would like her nickname to be [name_f]Cat[/name_f] but I am not too big a fan of [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/Caitlin/Kate and its many variants.
It’s a dystopian(apocalyptic setting in the near future (20-30) years, set in the US but when she was born, the world was pretty much like ours so the name shouldn’t be too ‘out there’… rather one that’s somewhat common in the US today.
Her last name is [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] and she has a brother called [name_m]Robert[/name_m], who is quite a bit older than her.
The nn [name_f]Cat[/name_f] would also fit some of her character and history. She is a fighter who won’t give up and will always find a way to ‘land on her feet’, she’s gotten out of some tricky/dangerous situations in past, which is why she jokes she has ‘nine lives’, she’s quite independent, wandering from one place to the other the last couple years, has learned/was forced to learn not to show weakness, she’s proud, fierce but can also be gentle etc…

Out of the [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/Caitlin family, [name]Catalia[/name] is my current favorite, even though it leans toward ‘too unusual’ plus I don’t quite like it with surname [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u].
Other names/variants on my list are:
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Catrina[/name]
[name]Catalin/a[/name]
[name]Catrice[/name]
but I’m not quite convinced by either of them yet.

I also really do like [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], but [name_f]Cat[/name_f] as a nn might be a bit of a stretch here…
[name_f]Cat[/name_f] does not have to be the first nn that comes to mind when hearing her name, and does not actually have to be part of the name, but it should still be somewhat plausible. Could also come from a combination of first an middle name…

Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe you have met someone called [name_f]Cat[/name_f] who’s full names wasn’t [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/Caitlin etc.?

My aunts name was Catina nn Tina but cat could work as well.

Others

Katherina/Catherina
Katinka/Catinka
Katina
Maine (Cat breed)
Savannah (Cat breedd)
Calico (Cat breed)
Rex (Cat breed)
Siamese (Cat breed)
Catriona
Lynx (Wild Cat)
Liona/Leona (From Lion)
Bobbie (From bobcat)
Catara/Katara
Catalina/Katalina
Cathleen/Kathleen
Kitridge/Kitrick
Katja/Catja
Kateri/Cateri
Catrine/Katrine
Caity
Kathy/Cathy
Katrise/Catrise
Cataria/Kataria
Catriel/Katriel
Kirsten/Cirstan
Kieran/Cieran
Catia/Katia
Saber (From saber tooth tiger)
Ocelot (wild cat)
Puma (wild cat)

There was a college basketball player a few years ago named [name_f]Cat[/name_f] (male) whose full name was [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], which has nothing to do with the nickname [name_f]Cat[/name_f]. Apparently, his older sister gave him the nickname because he was very quick and agile as a child, and it stuck. That was my immediate first thought: if [name_f]Cat[/name_f] (your character) is very cat-like, perhaps the nickname came from that and not from her full name.

I think [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cat[/name_f] would work perfectly in that scenario!

1 Like

Would Calathea work? It’s actually a plant name but I’ve always thought it would be rather intriguing as a person name. It’s not a conventional way to get to [name_f]Cat[/name_f] but it also sounds like it could belong within a dystopian landscape.

Calantha

Callista

Acatia

Hecate

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Added [name]Liona[/name]/[name]Leona[/name], [name]Cataria[/name], [name]Catriel[/name] and [name]Kieran[/name] to my list.
I also really like Calathea, was also considering [name]Cataleya[/name], but I know another character names [name_u]Cataleya[/name_u] that goes by [name_f]Cat[/name_f], so it felt a little bit like stealing.
[name]Callista[/name] is back in the game too.

[name]Scarlet[/name] is still on top of the list, and yes I think in combination with her character being ‘cat-like’ it could work. But some of the other names are growing on me fast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Faline?

My first though was [name_f]Catalina[/name_f], which you already thought of. [name_f]Catarina[/name_f]/Caterina/Katerina, [name_f]Ekaterina[/name_f], and [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] (like [name_f]Tabby[/name_f]) could also work.

Could [name_f]Cat[/name_f] be an acronym of her name? This way there could be a bit more flexibility?
E.g.

Cora
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_m]Thompson[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]

Thank you again for your ideas.
While I like the idea of [name_f]Faline[/name_f], it does’t quite fit for the character I have in mind. Guess I’m looking for something more common or usual.
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f] is definitely workings it’s way up the list, but while I like [name_f]Catarina[/name_f]/Katerina etc., I just cannot picture them for this specific character. [name_m]Can[/name_m] imagine [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] as a middle name though
I know I can be really difficult with names, but for me it just has to fit :sweat_smile:

YorkshireMama: To a certain extend, but I like to keep it to 2 given names plus [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] e.g [name_f]Caia[/name_f]/Kaya [name_f]Therese[/name_f]

But you guys given me some wonderful suggestions to think about :smile:

What about [name_u]Catkin[/name_u]?

I like [name_u]Catkin[/name_u], but for me it sounds more like a nickname, tbh. I might use it for her, when she was younger, I quite like it for a young girl.
But I got some wonderful suggestions plus some ideas for other characters, will probably use [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], Calathea and some others in the future.
I will dive a little deeper into the character and her story and see which name sticks :slight_smile:
Thank you all so much :heart:

2 Likes

Catriona/Catrina?

What about [name_f]Catrin[/name_f]/Catrine?

I wanted to thank you all again for your help :heart:.
It will most likely end up being either [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_f]Catalina[/name_f], [name_f]Leona[/name_f]/Leonor, Catia or [name_f]Callista[/name_f], possibly a combination of two of those. I’ll just see which one ‘sticks’ once I flesh out the character a little bit more.