Uncommon vs Classic what is better?

[name]Hi[/name] Berries. I am quickly approaching my due date less than 3 weeks…yeah. However, still no name for our little girl. I had posted several times on the boards some possible name choices, but never really fell in love with any of them. I think partially because my husband and I have been trying too hard to find a name that is not common; like our first daughter, Esmee (Ez-may). [name]Do[/name] you think it is necessary to find a name equally unique as it is beautiful? As for now we have these two choices, one unique, one classic, please tell me what you think. We want a good sibset.

Thanks

[name]Grace[/name]
or
[name]Siri[/name]

Finding a classic but uncommon name is the best :smiley:

While I love [name]Grace[/name], I just haven’t been able to get on board with it.

I love the name [name]Siri[/name]…it so cute and fresh; I think it is a pretty name that will age well. It is uncommon, but not weird. I think I like it better with Esmee, too. So [name]Siri[/name] gets my vote!

I can relate because I went through something similar with our name search for dd2. My first daughter is [name]Beatrice[/name]… Which while classic, is also vintage and rare in her age group. But I chose it not to pick a certain kind of name, but because it was one I’d always loved, with personal meaning. For dd2, at first I felt like I had to come up with something that I loved but also one ‘equally unusual’, vintage, etc. Nothing clicked and everything I tried on felt like trying too hard. In the end we chose the classic name [name]Catherine[/name]… Which I love, and which also has a meaning that has significance for me. I did worry at first that it was ‘more popular’, but ultimately, I realized that the choice was perfect. You can’t go wrong with classics…ultimately just choose what fits her and what you love saying… [name]Don[/name]'t worry about choosing rare for the sake of it.

I love [name]Esme[/name] - it has an exotic feel to it. While [name]Siri[/name] has the same feel, I feel like it lacks a certain substance in comparison. [name]Siri[/name] also reminds me of [name]Tom[/name] [name]Cruise[/name]'s little girl [name]Suri[/name] which would make me hesitate in choosing this name. I will have to go with the more traditional and refined [name]Grace[/name]. [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] are a lovely sister pair! I’ve always loved the unusual name of [name]Clio[/name] and an antique gem like [name]Ivy[/name] paired with [name]Esme[/name] as well.

I’d chose [name]Grace[/name], but that is just me. I love love love the name and don’t care how popular it is.

Of course, now I say that, I realize it is not as though I’m in touch with the world of kids. If I took my own little (hypothetical) [name]Grace[/name] to kindergarten only to discover she was one of three Graces (get the art reference?), I might feel very differently. We grandmother age name mavens have a different take on the subject. :slight_smile: Why don’t you look up [name]Grace[/name] on this site and see what you think of the advice there?

If you want the same satisfaction you have felt with little Esmee’s name, go with whichever you really love, be it popular or less common but the name of a star’s baby. Neither of those considerations is as important as your gut-level response to the name.

([name]Just[/name] by the way, if I were choosing something to sound good with Esmee, I’d consider [name]Isla[/name], [name]Aria[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Avalon[/name], [name]Willa[/name], and [name]Aurora[/name].)

I think both are great! If it were me, I would choose [name]Siri[/name] :]

I love, love, love classic names, so I would personally go with [name]Grace[/name]. However, [name]Esme[/name] seems to be more in the “classic” camp that [name]Grace[/name] belongs in, than the “uncommon” one that [name]Siri[/name]'s in. I think [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] makes a better pair than [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Siri[/name].