Uncommon vs Common

See the results of this poll: Which one?

Respondents: 58 (This poll is closed)

• Betony Gwen : 16 (28%)
  • Bethany Gwen: 42 (72%)

When you choose an a usual word-name, I think you should have a story ready for your daughter as to why you picked it. Is there any reason you’re drawn to the herb?

No reason I’m drawn specifically to Betony other than I can get [name]Betty[/name] out of it and I have a weakness for nature-names and botany. Also my grandfather recently passed and his name was [name]Anthony[/name], so Betony combines two family names ([name]Betty[/name] and [name]Anthony[/name]). I have a daughter called [name]Ruby[/name] already.

Betony sounds like [name]Bethany[/name] with a cold (like you’re pronouncing it with your nose plugged). It will be constantly mistaken.
If you’re prepared to deal with that and you love it, then go for it.

You can get to [name]Betty[/name] with other names, are there none others you like?
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Betsy[/name]/[name]Betty[/name] by itself
[name]Beata[/name]
[name]Brigette[/name]
[name]Brittany[/name]
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Britta[/name]
[name]Bronte[/name]
[name]Brigita[/name]

I like most of those, but DH not so much. A few are very similar to names already used in the immediate family. I’ll have to give [name]Bethany[/name] some more thought. It’s always seemed kind of bland to me, but I’m not sure why as I’ve never known one personally.

Not ever having met someone with a name does make it hard to visualize.
I knew a girl named [name]Bethany[/name] as a kid and she was one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met.

I really like the idea of using [name]Betty[/name] as a nn for it, since [name]Betty[/name] has a more retro spunky vibe than the sweet and soft feel of [name]Bethany[/name]. I also kinda like Thany :slight_smile: but then I’m a fan of off-kilter nn’s

I see that NB says [name]Bethany[/name] means “house of figs” but the meaning I have in my lists from another website says it means “house of song”, which I think is a beautiful picture.

I would go with [name]Bethany[/name], I see no reason why you can’t call her [name]Betty[/name]. [name]Bethany[/name] [name]Gwen[/name] is a beautiful name, good luck!

I actually am intrigued by Betony; if you think you will have regrets not using it, I say go for it. But you can’t go wrong with [name]Bethany[/name]! [name]One[/name] concern with Betony is the tendency for people to say it and/or hear it as “[name]Bet[/name]-nee”, or even worse, [name]Bentley[/name]. When people aren’t familiar with a name, they may assume they are hearing a different name (like [name]Bentley[/name] or [name]Bethany[/name])…so you would just have to get used to clarifying. Fortunately most people get it after the first time. [name]Bethany[/name] is a solid choice, but don’t sell yourself short if your heart is leading you to Betony. I don’t think it is a bad name, I just think [name]Bethany[/name] is the path of least resistance, and bethany will always be a solid, classic, beautiful name.

I don’t like either option. I think [name]Elizabeth[/name] is the best way to get to [name]Betty[/name]. Or, just name her [name]Betty[/name]. It has a sweet, vintage feel all by itself!

There’s a thoroughly likeable character named Betony in the book The Divide. Betony gets my vote!

Also, nice middle name choice.

I think Betony is a great underused name. It is really more unique than [name]Bethany[/name], which in my opinion has had its day (as well as [name]Elizabeth[/name]). You don’t need a reason to use it, other than you love it. Plus, there’s the family thing with [name]Anthony[/name] and [name]Betty[/name]. Also, if you’re pronouncing it [name]BETT[/name]-uhn-ee/[name]BETT[/name]-oh-nee and there is the clear distinction between [name]Bethany[/name], and I don’t see a problem.