Unconventional Nicknames (lightning polls)

I liked the “lightning poll” format I used over in the boys’ forum the other day, so I’m hoping for some quick feedback on unconventional girls’ nicknames speaking to me for my top picks.

[name_f]Cassie[/name_f] is OK. [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] is much better but longer. I like [name_f]Pia[/name_f]. But is [name_m]Chip[/name_m] as cute as I think she is?

• [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] “[name_m]Chip[/name_m]” works
  • Doesn’t work

0 voters

[name_f]Minnie[/name_f] is good. [name_f]Mina[/name_f] is alright. But can [name_f]Nanette[/name_f] work (I have her as several combos with T heavy middles, but can she stand alone?)

• [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] “[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]” works
  • Doesn’t work

0 voters

From what I have read in random posts here (with no source material), [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] is a traditional Greek nickname for [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]? Does it work in the [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking context?

• [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” works
  • Doesn’t work

0 voters

• [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] “[name_f]Plum[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] “[name_f]Pia[/name_f]”

0 voters

I love [name_f]Zazie[/name_f] on the Is- names. [name_m]Can[/name_m] it work here, too? I love [name_f]Maudie[/name_f] for [name_f]Emeraude[/name_f]. [name_m]Can[/name_m] it work here, too?

• [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] “[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] “[name_f]Ismay[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] “[name_f]Zazie[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] “[name_f]Maudie[/name_f]”

0 voters

• [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “Prosie”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “[name_m]Spyro[/name_m] [the dragon]”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “Pina”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “[name_f]Sera[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “[name_f]Prissy[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “[name_f]Nina[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “[name_u]Peri[/name_u]”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “Peppa”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “[name_f]Pippie[/name_f]”
  • [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] “Prim”

0 voters

I love this lightning format too. Fun!

Here are my thoughts:

1. [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] “[name_m]Chip[/name_m]” doesn’t really work in terms of sounds. BUT [name_m]Chip[/name_m] to me sounds like the sort of childhood pet name that doesn’t necessarily spring from the child’s given name, like [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] or [name_u]Boo[/name_u]. I don’t love [name_m]Chip[/name_m], personally, but I voted yes because I think it’s doable.

2. [name_f]Nanette[/name_f] to me is an entirely separate name from [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], with only really an N sound to connect them. I like [name_f]Mina[/name_f] though!

3. [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] “[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]” is adorable :hibiscus:

4. [name_f]Pia[/name_f] and [name_f]Plum[/name_f] are both fantastic, and both work as quirky nicknames for [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] IMO.

5. I voted yes to [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] and [name_f]Zazie[/name_f], based on sounds and just general vibe. [name_f]Ismay[/name_f] just feels like a totally separate name with a different feel, and the same for [name_f]Maudie[/name_f].

6. [name_f]Nina[/name_f], Pina, [name_f]Pippie[/name_f], [name_f]Sera[/name_f] = yes! I think you could definitely get away with [name_f]Pia[/name_f] for this one too.

I would caution against Prosie (which is slang for prostitute where I’m from), Peppa (Pig is my immediate and overwhelming association), and [name_f]Prissy[/name_f] (unpleasant meaning, which I know Prim has too but it feels more established as a nickname).

I just don’t much like [name_u]Peri[/name_u], and [name_m]Spyro[/name_m] seems too far removed from [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f] to me.

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] for [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Pia[/name_f] and [name_f]Plum[/name_f] for [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] and [name_f]Nina[/name_f] for [name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]!

1 Like