Unexpected nicknames

Do you ever find that your kids’ names just have a life of their own and even if you weren’t planning on using a nickname, suddenly one just catches on and you can’t stop it?

Our [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] was supposed to be just [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]. I love the name just as it is and didn’t think she needed a nickname. But then my dad, who was a bit iffy about the name started calling her [name_f]Evie[/name_f], and before I knew it my mom and my siblings started calling her [name_f]Evie[/name_f] too. And I don’t hate it, I love [name_f]Evie[/name_f] (and I might occasionally call her that too, oops), I just… didn’t expect it, I guess.

Meanwhile, our [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] was just [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], occasionally [name_f]Bee[/name_f], until her hair turned out to be red… And now she’s affectionately referred to as Carrots. Because of course she is.

I guess there’s no fighting it. [name_f]Evie[/name_f] and Carrots it is.

Anyone have a similar story?

3 Likes

I thought [name_m]Deacon[/name_m] did not have many nickname possibilities ! Boy was I wrong !
He has been called D , Deaks, Deaky, he calls himself Deaky-o ( and we are mommyo and daddyo) And our god son calls him baby deacon - even though he is almost 3 . I love it !

1 Like

Evie and Carrots are so adorable!

Our [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] calls herself BeeKit so I do too a lot now.

2 Likes

This is for my sister but her name is [name_f]Angelica[/name_f] and one day we started to call her Smellycat and now I call her Smellica! It’s not a super flattering nickname but she’s 12 and it still doesn’t bother her! Although if I said it around her friends I’m sure she would kill me :joy:

1 Like

Definitely!

My [name_f]Juno[/name_f] gets called [name_f]Pixie[/name_f], PJ and Peeja lot. It started as Pickle, then Pickly J, then PJ etc. Also Junebug and [name_u]Juniper[/name_u].

Kit is Kitster, [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], Kitten, [name_m]Kitto[/name_m] or Squidge :flushed:

Anouk gets Noushka, Noush, Noodle and Fluff!

3 Likes

I can promise you, my dad did not plan to call me [name_f]Ann[/name_f]/Annie/Annabelle (sometimes all three at once).

Haha that’s cute.
Mine is kinda disappointing in as much as we named our second [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] with the view to calling him [name_m]Xander[/name_m] but it didn’t latch on and everyone calls him [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. I don’t actually like the name [name_u]Alex[/name_u]! Well not nearly as much as I do [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]! I call him [name_f]Ally[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] partner sometimes calls him [name_m]Alexio[/name_m]?

Our eldest is [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] but a lot of his friends call him Zachy.

My toddlers have nicknames unrelated to their real names.
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is called [name_m]Gee[/name_m] (pronounced like McGee or ghee) because this is the noise he made all the time as a newborn and young baby. His dad started calling him that and it stuck.
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is called Squee because he’s always had a super high-pitched cry and because it rhymes with [name_m]Gee[/name_m] so his dad started calling him that. :joy:

I call them Geedle [name_f]Dee[/name_f] and Squeedle [name_f]Dee[/name_f] after Tweedledee and Tweedledum but I don’t want to call one of them “dum” lol

I’m sure they’ll be mortified by all of this when they’re older.

1 Like

I don’t have kids but my nickname is Growl, Growlie or Growler because i used to make a growling sound as a baby :slight_smile: i dont think my parents planned that!

My niece was named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and my brother already thought of pre planned nicknames often he was thinking [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Via[/name_f], Oli, the whole family is Mexican and so we weren’t keen on having to call her [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (it sounded too American and according to my dad a dog name since for those who don’t know, American names for children are often used for dog names in Mexico)

then she was born and the name Olivita (now [name_f]Vita[/name_f]) was what we ended up calling her since it was easier to say than the very American [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], now everybody including her more American side calls her [name_f]Vita[/name_f] :joy: so there goes the [name_f]Olive[/name_f] idea my brother originally wanted

1 Like

I haven’t had kids yet, but I have one name combo I may end up using where I have to think about the nicknames well in advance of actually gracing my child with the name. The name is Çhrîštøphęr Røbęrt. Unfortunately there are 6 Çhrîšes (male and female), a Krîššŷ and a Krîštî. We also have many Bøbs, ßøbbŷs, Røbs and Røbbŷs throughout our family (too many to count). For this, I have to pick a different nickname for my child to go by upfront if we don’t want to add to the confusion.

Though Kît is great, my choice is Rørŷ, and that is what we will introduce our son as if we go with the name Çhrîštøphęr Røbęrt. Rørŷ may not be unexpected for us, but it will be for everyone else.

One of my nieces did that!! But we affectionately called them her “demon noises” :rofl:

1 Like

My relative, [name_f]Arielle[/name_f] (air-ee-elle), was supposed to have the nn [name_f]Aria[/name_f] (are-ee-uh). But it didn’t stick, at all! Her nn is [name_u]Ari[/name_u] (air-ee)

My mom chose [name_f]Taisiya[/name_f] to call me [name_f]Taya[/name_f] but I don’t like it (this nn is good but not for me) and I am [name_f]Tasya[/name_f] instead

My whole family does this to me.

My mom and her family use one nickname that comes from my name, but she also calls me Goose/Goosie/Gosling. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t ask me why.

My dad will find the most random words and call me them. He also calls me [name_f]Ann[/name_f]/Annie/Annabelle because my name starts with An- (even though it isn’t pronounced as [name_f]Ann[/name_f]).

When I was younger, I was called [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f]-[name_f]May[/name_f], and [name_m]Mayo[/name_m] (sometimes “The [name_m]Mayo[/name_m]”) since my name full name starts with “Ma”. I’m still called [name_f]May[/name_f] though sometimes, but the [name_f]May[/name_f]-[name_f]May[/name_f] and [name_m]Mayo[/name_m] were the most unexpected.

Our DS is F3licity M@y, we had plans to call her [name_f]Lissie[/name_f], but when I was pregnant with her, we called her Miss [name_f]May[/name_f] before we shared what her name was at birth. So it stuck!

Our DS is J3ss3 [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u], I was planning on calling him [name_m]Monty[/name_m], but he is J3ss3-boy.