Unexpected, soft, and pretty girl names?

I love the name [name]Alanna[/name], well done!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Freya[/name] or [name]Calandra[/name] (avoids Ocala connection!LOL it means “lark”).

Good luck!

[name]Salome[/name] - Sorry about the salami reference. Of course he didn’t like the name.

I tried [name]Willa[/name] - no. [name]Willow[/name] - is ok, but he likes [name]Meadow[/name] better. Not sure what to think about [name]Meadow[/name]. It’s pretty, but I don’t know if I want to name my daughter that - I’ll have to think about that. I like [name]Willow[/name] more than [name]Meadow[/name].

[name]Jill[/name] - quite a few on your list I have already suggested, and they were all no.

[name]Lauren[/name] and [name]Jill[/name] - apparently it can be pn’d either way. I say kah-sha, with a soft A sound (not cash-uh or cass-ee-uh) - b/c I know that the polish way of [name]Kasia[/name] is kah-sha. I prefer the kah-sha version. Yes, [name]Cassia[/name] is Greek, but I get the eastern european from [name]Kasia[/name] - the diminutive of [name]Katarzyna[/name] or [name]Katherine[/name] - meaning pure - it’s Polish.

Irisrose and [name]Butterfly[/name] - I will look more closely at your names tomorrow when I’m not so tired. :slight_smile:

Good night everyone and thank you all again!

From your list I prefer Suriah (sp?) and [name]Shayla[/name]…

To add my 2c, I like
[name]Linda[/name] (which means pretty and is due for a comeback I think)…This was a very popular name in the 50’s and it is my mothers name. As far as I know, this is not a popular name now so it would fit into your unexpected category. I liked this name for a daughter but my husband did not.
and
[name]Maeva[/name] which was also suggested by another poster and is the mn of my daughter, [name]Wren[/name]. It is pronounced may-va, or you may prefer the Irish form of this [name]Maeve[/name] which can be pronounced mayv (quick, one syllable) or may-vee (sounds softer to me).
If your husband likes [name]Shayla[/name] and you’re not 100% on it, how about [name]Shayna[/name]? I know a [name]Shayna[/name] and she loves her name and I’ve heard people remark to her how pretty it is when she’s been introduced so there ya go…

I like…
Savaeh or spelled Sevaeh pronounced Sa-vey-ha
[name]Annaleigh[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Elisa[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]

YES! Someone who pronounced [name]Salome[/name] correctly! You just made my day. :)[/quote]

curtseys No problem. I thought I better spell it phonetically just incase. [name]Glad[/name] it was right

limbers up
Your DH is a tough nut to crack. Was it this hard picking [name]Alanna[/name]'s name?

Here are some more choices. Sorry for any repeats.
[name]Cleone[/name] (clee-oh-nee)
[name]Alouette[/name]
[name]Faith[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Florence[/name] nn [name]Florrie[/name], [name]Flossie[/name]
[name]Cairo[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Tertia[/name] (ter-sha)
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Melissa[/name] nn Lissy
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Sorrel[/name]
[name]Farrah[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Darla[/name]

I think [name]Meadow[/name] is a nice sounding word but it’s too literal for my tastes. It fits your criteria but it could be a hard name to grow up with.
[name]Harlow[/name]
[name]Marlow[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Shiloh[/name]
[name]Yarrow[/name]
All have a similar sound and flow.

This reminded me immediately of the dreaded [name]Nevaeh[/name] and I thought… “Heaves?” Sorry. hangs head in shame

rk- you’ve probably answered this but how do you prn [name]Alanna[/name]? Is it A-[name]LAY[/name]-nah, A-[name]LAW[/name]-nah or A-LAN-nah? My half-sis’s name is spelled the same and she prn it “a-lay-nah.”

No offense taken! He is indeed a tough cookie!

What about…

[name]Aisling[/name] ([name]ASH[/name]-ling)
[name]Ashlyn[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Celina[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Cosette[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Iona[/name]
[name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Lilibeth[/name]
[name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Mahalia[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Roisin[/name] (ro-[name]SHEEN[/name])
[name]Shaina[/name]
[name]Shoshana[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]

As usual, I apologize for any repeats. I also want to echo those who suggested [name]Dahlia[/name].

And I agree with you about [name]Meadow[/name], too literal. [name]Willow[/name] is definitely better, but [name]Willa[/name] is best!

[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Jacinta[/name]
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Paolina[/name]
[name]Rosalia[/name]
[name]Selah[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Twyla[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Zenobia[/name][/quote]

I tried [name]Francesca[/name] today on hubby - nope. :frowning:

Hmmm - [name]Eulalia[/name] is interesting. Is it pn’d u-lay-lee-uh?
[name]Selah[/name], I like too. Would that be see-luh or say-luh?
[name]Twyla[/name] - where did you get that from? I don’t know if I like it or not, but it’s interesting and reminds me of Twilight.[/quote]

Also thought of [name]Acadia[/name].

To all of you who have given a lists of beautiful names. I have proposed many names to hubby from your lists (all of the ones that I have liked, but they were all no’s. Some of the names I proposed previously, and some I asked him about last night. :frowning:

He is a very tough nut to crack. He is not very open to unusual names - to him, if he hasn’t heard it before, then it’s not a name he wants.

[name]Kiki[/name] - I don’t recall the whole process with [name]Alanna[/name] - we did have a good list going that we both liked - alot of A names (probably 8 or 9). But he found [name]Leila[/name] and adored it. I found [name]Alanna[/name] and adored it. Basically it came down to those two. He finally gave in and said we could name her [name]Alanna[/name] when she was 3 days old. Now he is so happy we didn’t name her [name]Leila[/name], and loves [name]Alanna[/name] much more. That’s why I told him we should go with one of my picks - I obviously know what I’m doing! lol

Scarlettsmom - her name is pn’d A-LAN-nah.

Last night he finally let me put one of my favorites on the list!!! [name]Caitlyn[/name] - I know some of you namers don’t or won’t like it b/c it’s a little overused and outdated. But, I really like this name (actually it stemmed from me loving [name]Cailyn[/name], and he didn’t like it at all - so I would ask him for both [name]Cailyn[/name] or [name]Caitlyn[/name]. Finally, he said he keeps going back and forth on [name]Caitlyn[/name]. So while I may not definitely get one of my favorites, I’m atleast making progress!!! And maybe in 3 1/2 wks he’ll like it. :smiley:
But then in turn he wanted me to put [name]McKenna[/name] on the list, and while it’s not my favorite, I’m not opposed to it either.

So here is our current list:
[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Caitlyn[/name] (yeah!!!)
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]McKenna[/name]
[name]Meadow[/name] (i don’t see this one being on here for long, I have many more favorites - I’ll probably just quietly slide it off the list)
[name]Sariah[/name]
[name]Shayla[/name]

My top 3 faves are:
[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Caitlyn[/name]
[name]Sariah[/name]

I guess I really don’t need any other names. As I’ve found out, most of the names that I like I’ve already asked him, and if they’re not on the list - he said no. :frowning: Thank you again to everyone!!!

[name]Meadow[/name] being on your list absolutely blows my mind! I thought your husband liked normal names he has heard of, and then he throws out [name]Meadow[/name]? Incredible!

[name]May[/name] I just ask what appeals to you about the Y in [name]Caitlyn[/name]? I personally really prefer the [name]Caitlin[/name] spelling, and I think the nickname [name]Cait[/name] is very cute! :slight_smile:

I really don’t know - I guess I always think of the -lin/lyn sound and associate it with [name]Lynn[/name]. So my first instinct is to put lyn/lynn.

[name]Ah[/name]… but [name]Lauren[/name], he has heard it before. The Soprano’s! lol [name]Meadow[/name] - the daughter.

I like [name]Caitlin[/name] the best then [name]Meadow[/name].

Good luck :slight_smile:

I haven’t read all your posts, but have you considered the name
[name]Felicia[/name] ?

It seems like the sort of name you’re looking for.

PS Variants include [name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Felice[/name]

For some reasons the names [name]Leoni[/name]/[name]Leonie[/name], [name]Leonora[/name] and [name]Leona[/name] popped into my head.

[name]Leoni[/name]/[name]Leoni[/name] -
I pronounce it lee-oh-nee, but many people pronounce it lay-oh-nee. [name]Alanna[/name] & [name]Leonie[/name]. I kind of like it.

[name]Leonora[/name] -
[name]Alanna[/name] and [name]Leonora[/name]. I do think this name is gorgeous. It’s feminine and not overused, I think it’s really cute.

[name]EDIT[/name]: Sorry if they have already been suggested!

Oh, too bad you don’t want any more names, I’ve been thinking of what you two might like :slight_smile: [name]Just[/name] for fun, my favorite was [name]Clarissa[/name] as it is soft and unexpected and goes well with [name]Alanna[/name]. Of your list, here are my thoughts for whatever they’re worth:

[name]Cadence[/name] - I don’t find this soft and pretty, nor unexpected really as I think it is quite trendy right now. It does evoke a lovely impression from the literal word, the cadence of life and music, etc. I don’t find it as special as [name]Alanna[/name] though - I wouldn’t expect you to get many Oh!s when introducing her.
[name]Caitlyn[/name] (yeah!!!) - I understand your attraction to this one - I like it a lot myself. I think if you love a name it shouldn’t matter if it’s “outdated”. But with [name]Caitlyn[/name], again, I don’t think you’ll find it unexpected. Actually I think paired with [name]Alanna[/name], it kind of makes [name]Alanna[/name] seem more mainstream.
[name]Juliana[/name] - I agree 100% with your assessment - soft and pretty but not unexpected. However, I much prefer this over [name]Cadence[/name]. I would be more surprised to meet a baby [name]Juliana[/name] than [name]Cadence[/name] or [name]Caitlyn[/name]. I think you should reconsider this one.
[name]McKenna[/name] - prefer [name]Michaela[/name] if you like this sound. I think [name]Michaela[/name] is pretty and unexpected, although not really soft.
[name]Meadow[/name] (i don’t see this one being on here for long, I have many more favorites - I’ll probably just quietly slide it off the list) - I agree that it would be hard for me to picture naming my daughter this
[name]Sariah[/name] - lovely. It is soft, pretty and unexpected. Is DH on board with this one yet? I think it is such a lovely pair with [name]Alanna[/name].
[name]Shayla[/name] - this sounds country to me and made up (although it isn’t, I know). What about [name]Shay[/name] or [name]Shea[/name]?

Good luck!

I tried [name]Clarissa[/name], and that was another ‘no’.

I don’t honestly believe that I’m going to get all 3 requirements with the name for this baby. I think I just lucked out with [name]Alanna[/name].

[name]Cadence[/name], as I said before has been on our list from the beginning. I know it’s not very soft or unexpected. It’s just been kind of ‘faithful’ to use, and we’ve both grown fond of it.

[name]Caitlyn[/name], I was looking for an Irish name to pair with [name]Alanna[/name] - [name]Cailyn[/name] was it until hubby refused it. So I suggested [name]Caitlyn[/name]. He refused that too. But through the entire pregnancy, I’ve been throwing them back at him, hoping he’d catch one… and he did.

[name]Juliana[/name], the only thing about this was the J theme. We have [name]Jacob[/name], and also a son who passed away, [name]Justin[/name]. I didn’t want [name]Alanna[/name] to be the only one w/o a J name.

[name]McKenna[/name], [name]Michaela[/name] -i’m assuming you’re pn’ing it like [name]Makayla[/name] - and there are a TON of them around here. Plus I have a [name]BIL[/name] named [name]Michael[/name] and I don’t want him to think we’re naming the baby after him.

[name]Meadow[/name] - I would much more prefer [name]Willow[/name] or [name]Willa[/name].

[name]Sariah[/name] - he does like it, though it’s not his favorite on the list.

[name]Shayla[/name] - yeah… that’s more his thing.He really likes it, but can’t ever seem to get the name straight. As far as [name]Shay[/name] or [name]Shea[/name], I am not very fond of 1 syllable names. I think the name is stronger with more than one.

Thanks for you input!

It really sounds like you are going to have to compromise and settle on a name that’s not quite “perfect” since your husband is so stubborn about what he likes/dislikes. I’m really surprised by many of the names he seems to have rejected off hand. Is there any way you can get him to stop and think about some of these names a bit more before he gives an automatic ‘no’ to them? Best wishes.