Union as MN

Hey all,

What do you all think of Union as a middle name? I have chosen [name]Adella[/name] or [name]Dellah[/name] as the first name, and really want to use a middle name that honors my 3 best friends that I lived with all through university (we’re like sisters). The street that we lived on was call Union [name]St[/name] and we were known as the Union girls… in that context, do you think [name]Adella[/name]/[name]Dellah[/name] Union would be suitable name? I know its a little different, but I really love, but want to make sure I’m not being blind or naive on this one… my friends loved it, of course… but they’re biased.

To clarify, I’m taking the -h off [name]Della[/name] (if i choose that over [name]Adella[/name]).

I really l like the idea!
Union is kind of harsh for a girl’s name, though I think with a middle name you have room for flexibility since it won’t be said too often. Still, I’m wondering if it might be possible to honor your friends with something that is more of a name-name, so to speak. One possibility would be to use [name]Unity[/name] as a variant of Union. You might also be able to come up with different ways to honor your friends - maybe a variant on the name of the university you went to itself, or something that incorporates all three of their names, etc.
Of course, if Union feels right to you and makes you happy, you should go for it. After all, it’s in the middle and it makes a great story.

Thanks JLM, I know it is a harsher sounding word, my hope is that paired with a really old vintage name like adella or della is that it takes some of that harshness away… erg.

I do really love it… unity, i’m not a fan of…

Shoot, I didn’t mean to hit post, what I meant to say was…

I like [name]Unity[/name], but not in place of union… anything else that might symbolize a really strong friendship?

I think Union is just fine and definitely has a lot of meaning for you! However, If you use it, I would have the fn be [name]Della[/name], not [name]Adella[/name]. The double vowel beginnning irks me. [name]Della[/name] Union is lovely.

[name]Hi[/name] quirk, Thanks! [name]Della[/name] is growing on me, I’ve always loved [name]Adella[/name] but [name]Della[/name] is really really starting to win me over, it sound a little more vintage if thats possible? My singular fear is that these two names will become very popular… right now they’ve not been in the top 1000 since the 40/50s… i know i shouldn’t be afraid of this because I love the names regardless, but i still am.

No problem! I agree about the more vintage thing! To me, [name]Della[/name] Union just makes me think of a little southern belle. It’s great. I don’t think you should worry too much about the name getting popular. My name is [name]Lily[/name] and I was born about 10 years before this great big rush of Lilys. I still feel like I have a unique name because no one my age has it. I’m sure if [name]Della[/name] gets popular your daughter would feel the same way. :slight_smile:

I agree with quirkflower, I think [name]Della[/name] Union is a good choice. Yes, Union on it’s own is pretty harsh sounding, but [name]Della[/name] is feminine enough to soften it just enough. I say go for it!

Well I don’t really care for Union as a MN, but I think [name]Della[/name] is such a gem of an underused name. Very in line with [name]Stella[/name], [name]Ella[/name], etc., but still totally rare.
Also, [name]Della[/name] & [name]James[/name] are the 2 characters in the Gift of the [name]Magi[/name], which is a great story.
[name]Della[/name] is also a good nn for [name]Adele[/name] or [name]Adeline[/name].
[name]Adella[/name] is also a nice idea.

I still really like the idea of Union as a mn but only because its so personal, but I totally see where you’re coming from objectively… I wonder if Uni would work? Probably not… thinking out loud here…

So if I decided to drop Union, do you all prefer [name]Adella[/name] or [name]Della[/name]?

I really love [name]Della[/name] Union, I don’t think it’s too harsh and I love that it’s got meaning behind it. Definately prefer [name]Della[/name] to [name]Adella[/name] though.

I still would prefer [name]Della[/name]. And I really don’t think [name]Della[/name] Union is a problem. [name]How[/name] often do kids use their middle names anyway?

Go for it!! :slight_smile: Use Union if you really love it. I like [name]Della[/name] Union the best. :slight_smile:

I think it would make a great middle name!

It does to me too, though it’s kind of ironic if you think about it.

Very strong, but I like word names unsoftened by efforts to make them more “name-like” - I love [name]Honor[/name] but not [name]Honora[/name] or [name]Annora[/name]. Union is serious but fun in its oddness.

I think [name]Della[/name] Union is gorgeous, and I don’t think you should hesitate to use it at all if it has so much meaning to you!

I think [name]Della[/name] Union sounds strong, but not too hard. It would be fine, and Union would be a cool middle name. And a good story to know about your name when you get older, too :]

It does to me too, though it’s kind of ironic if you think about it.

Very strong, but I like word names unsoftened by efforts to make them more “name-like” - I love [name]Honor[/name] but not [name]Honora[/name] or [name]Annora[/name]. Union is serious but fun in its oddness.[/quote]

I was very confused about the irony. Then I got it! That is funny! And I completely agree about word names. I love [name]Honor[/name], as well. Although, I only like it for a boy.

quirk / triplicate… i’m going to pull a [name]Monday[/name] morning moment… i’m not seeing the irony… maybe b/c i’m not southern? was it just an irony in the statement or in the name?