Unique & Beautiful or Completely Masculine?

DH and I are torn between:

[name]Noa[/name] [name]Sophia[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name]

(Last name is [name]Olson[/name])

[name]Sophia[/name] is obviously very feminine, and more “normal” in today’s society, but it’s also extremely popular. I do love [name]Sophia[/name], and my family really wants us to name her [name]Sophia[/name].

[name]Noa[/name] is unique, pretty, and cool. It would commonly be confused for the boy name [name]Noah[/name], but there are plenty of girl [name]Shiloh[/name]'s, [name]Taylor[/name]'s, [name]Alex[/name]'s, [name]Kelly[/name]'s, [name]Kelsey[/name]'s, etc. out there, so why is [name]Noa[/name] any different?

My family loves the meaning of [name]Noa[/name], but they still want us to name her [name]Sophia[/name] because they think [name]Noa[/name] for a girl is too weird.

Which do you like better? Why? Is it awful to like [name]Noa[/name] for a girl?

I’m normally very anti boys names being used on girls but I actually think [name]Noa[/name] sounds really natural on a girl. It has a very feminine quality about it.

I too was in love with [name]Sophia[/name] all through my childhood and teen years (mostly because of [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Loren[/name]) and was determined to use it, until everyone else in the world had the same idea. There’s nothing worse to me then the thought of my child sharing his or her name with 3 other classmates so I’ve had to let go of it, and I think (just my opinion though!) that you should too.

Is the [name]Noa[/name] spelling a legitimate name? I don’t know anything about it to be honest?

Have you considered the equally beautiful but definitely not unisex [name]Nola[/name]? I adore this name but my partner won’t let me use it! Lol. It could be the right compromise for you.

Best of luck :slight_smile:

P.S. I just looked up [name]Noa[/name] on nameberry and see that it is a legitimate female name well used in Spain etc. I think if you love it use it! Of course you’ll no doubt have to deal with people tutting because they think you’ve just feminised [name]Noah[/name] but that’s their ignorance and as soon as you explain that’s not the case that should shut them up! :slight_smile: And if not, who cares what they think?! And [name]Sophia[/name] in the middle slot is the perfect compromise, which feminises the whole name even more.

I do also think [name]Nola[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] or [name]Nola[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] would be stunning though :slight_smile:

Yes, [name]Noa[/name] is extremely popular in [name]Israel[/name] and is viewed as even more of a girls’ name than a boys’. But in the US, the boys’ [name]Noah[/name] is so popular and so much more frequently heard than the girls’ version that the name has a very masculine feel (despite the final vowel sound, which is stereotypically feminine).

My question: Are [name]Noa[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] really the only two choices? [name]Sophia[/name] is a lovely name but I hear in your voice that you really don’t want to use it because of its mega-popularity. Yet you don’t seem sold on [name]Noa[/name] either, which is a great name, but is (there’s no doubt) going to be misunderstood as a boy’s name.

Other ideas?

I think [name]Noa[/name] is pretty but will be confused with [name]Noah[/name], a lot.
I wish there were other options available, since neither seem to be ‘the’ fit.

Without the family input, would YOU choose [name]Noa[/name]? Or would you still have your own doubts?

[name]Nola[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘white shoulder’
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘light’
[name]Nova[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘new’
[name]Nona[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘ninth’

[name]Nina[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘little girl; great granddaughter;’ or from [name]Ann[/name] meaning ‘grace’
[name]Nila[/name] [name]Olson[/name] (from the river [name]Nile[/name])
[name]Neva[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘snow’
[name]Nia[/name] [name]Olson[/name] ‘goal, purpose’

[name]Seraphina[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] ‘burning ones’
[name]Sonoma[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] (place name; [name]California[/name])
[name]Sonora[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] (place name; Mexico)
[name]Sonia[/name] [name]Gabriella[/name] ‘wisdom’

I love the suggestion of [name]Nola[/name]!

What about [name]Noel[/name]/[name]Noelle[/name] and call her [name]Noa[/name] for a n.n?

Lol! You are right…

Honestly, I don’t really know what to name her. I feel like it has to be PERFECT. I want a sophisticated, and glamorous name. I would love it if it were slightly unique - but that’s hard to find these days. I just don’t like many names anymore because I’m a little burned out from looking.

I do like [name]Sophia[/name]. I wish I could wake up one day and be in love with it. It’s sophisticated, and glamorous. I adore [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Loren[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name] is a family name on my side - so it is very fitting that her name would be [name]Sophia[/name]… she even feels like a [name]Sophia[/name]. Plus I think it looks best with our last name, [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olson[/name].

I don’t love it though. I had a friend named [name]Sophia[/name] who kind of made me like it a little less. And the popularity makes it lose it’s luster a little.

[name]Noa[/name] is just a name that I came across last night. I thought it was cute and unique. DH also liked it, so I thought I would get other’s opinions. I don’t think it’s really sophisticated or glamorous… She doesn’t feel like a [name]Noa[/name], and honestly after saying out loud a few times, I don’t really like it that much.

I feel like a hopeless namer :frowning: Maybe I’ll start a new post asking for help…

With all the Taylors, Averys, and Emersons no one should be that suprised to see a girl named [name]Noa[/name]. It’s entirely up to you. My name is [name]Gabrielle[/name] and I am a little curious why it’s only a MN option. Definitely less popular than [name]Sophia[/name] and there are so many NNs! [name]Gabby[/name], [name]Brie[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Ella[/name]. I once had someone call me Gabrie (I mentally cringed at the time, but now i kind of find it cute). lol

[name]Noa[/name] - love!
[name]Noa[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Olson[/name] - love [name]LOVE[/name] - it has a great ring to it!

[name]Sophia[/name] is beautiful but overused!

[name]Noa[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] flows better with the last name and there’s nothing wrong with [name]Noa[/name] as long as you love it.

I think you should use [name]Noa[/name], [name]Sophia[/name] is way too popular and [name]Noa[/name] sounds like a girls name anyway :slight_smile:

I think the flow of [name]Noa[/name] [name]Olson[/name] is awkward. It would not be an issue when the name is in writing, but – when hearing the name – if not enunciated clearly – it sounds a lot like No-[name]Olson[/name]. Coming from a female, I think it would confuse people, and they would assume they missed part of the name. She would likely be asked to repeat her name a lot when introducing herself.