Unique Names!

What unique names do y’all like? I know everyone has different name tastes, and those differences definitely come out when talking about unique names! So which ones top your lists or you like but would never use?

disclaimer: when I say unique, I do not mean alternate spellings.

Would use:
[name]Jubilee[/name]
Jenner, name of a town that I think would make an awesome name for a boy
[name]Sparrow[/name]
[name]Sorrel[/name]-[name]LOVE[/name] this for a boy but highly doubt my husband would consider it
Oicee
[name]Sunday[/name]

Wouldn’t use:
[name]Jezebel[/name]-so pretty but thanks to an old movie it has bad connotations
[name]Bear[/name]-homosexual connotations in the States
[name]Wolfgang[/name]
[name]Blue[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]- in the States to associated with beef
[name]Liesel[/name]-husband doesn’t like
Niecy-I love Neicy [name]Nash[/name]!
[name]Seven[/name]
[name]Ransom[/name]-love the sound but the meaning is really bad
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Osiris[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Olympia[/name]-husband doesn’t like
[name]Delta[/name]-husband doesn’t like

Generally these are names I would consider for a girl, but I will make note of ones for a boy.

Would consider using:
Sophitia
[name]Cassidy[/name] (boy)
[name]Jericho[/name] (boy, middle name only)
[name]Sorrel[/name] (boy, middle name only)

Would not consider using:
[name]Alexis[/name] (boy) - name has gone to the girls; I would fear my son would be subject to endless teasing/bullying.
[name]London[/name] (boy) - see ‘[name]Alexis[/name]’.
Scheherazade
Tzipporah/[name]Zipporah[/name] (as opposed to [name]Sephora[/name])
Siddartha (boy)
[name]Kain[/name] (boy, this spelling only) - it looks trendy, but this spelling has special meaning for me.

Well, the top of my list (that we are planning on using if baby # 2 is a girl) is Eily (prn eye-lee). My favorite is Eilonwy, but it is a bit much for us to use. My husband is much more flexible with girl names than with boy’s, so I have a lot more unique boy names that are off limits than girls. My boy list: [name]Cedar[/name], [name]Cypress[/name], [name]Hawk[/name], [name]Wolf[/name], [name]Destin[/name], [name]Valor[/name], [name]Job[/name], [name]Canyon[/name], [name]Numair[/name], etc :wink:

On a boy… [name]Zen[/name] is a frequent favorite. Honestly probably my #2 name.
I also like virtue names on boys, but not so much on girls. [name]Noble[/name], [name]Valor[/name], [name]Just[/name], Brave, etc.
Names like [name]Apollo[/name] and [name]Galileo[/name]…
I also like [name]Ransom[/name], but the meaning isn’t as great.
On girls, I like [name]Aviva[/name], [name]Gaia[/name], and my name, Maurilia. So less unique, lol.

Ha, I know a boy named Jenner, jersey_gray! Totally works in real life :slight_smile: Off the top of my head:

[name]Zola[/name] and [name]Zora[/name]
[name]Marilla[/name]
Evanthia
[name]Talitha[/name]

[name]North[/name] is the only odd-sh boys’ name I can think of right now.

whit32, I know a friend’s sister whose name is Eily. Her mom, I believe, considered [name]Eilish[/name] first. I personally love [name]Winter[/name]. Our daughter is due in [name]July[/name] so my husband says it would be silly, but I feel it would be more tacky to name a baby born during the winter, [name]Winter[/name].

themrs., I love the name [name]Winter[/name]! It has always been one of my favorites. [name]Do[/name] you know if the Eily you know has ever had any big problems with her name? [name]Do[/name] you think it ages well? I love it, but I have some concerns about how it does in real life.

@whit32: Oh, I almost forgot about Eilonwy! Another one of my favorites; reminds me of The [name]Black[/name] Cauldron, one of my favorite Disney movies.

@themrs: I like [name]Winter[/name] for a boy as well, not just one born in winter, but overall.

valkyrie, that’s where we got it from. Well, we actually got it from the books that the movie is (loosely) based on called the Pryndain chronicles. The books are awesome, by the way, if you’ve never read them.

ellenelle, I really like [name]Talitha[/name] and [name]North[/name]. I knew a girl named [name]Talitha[/name], and I would love to meet a little boy named [name]North[/name] :wink:

I almost named my daughter [name]January[/name]…I like Thais, Thaissa, [name]Hera[/name], [name]Leonie[/name], Vinca, [name]Antonina[/name].

Eily (spelled [name]Eilidh[/name] but pronounced the same) is popular in [name]Scotland[/name] and has been for a generation at least I would guess. I know of several Eilidhs of different ages. I love the name but DH thinks it’s too close to [name]Eilish[/name] (one of my all-time faves) and that’s his current boss. Boo.

I’m surprised to see several names on here that I’ve always had a soft spot for but could never imagine using in real life!

For a boy:
Jenner
[name]Loki[/name] (I really don’t know why, either!)
[name]Nicodemus[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] (I know it’s popular for a girl though)
[name]Bear[/name] (I love animal-inspired names)
Aibhne (old Irish name pronounced Ev-ny, but may sound too much like the girl’s name [name]Ebony[/name] to people unfamiliar with Irish)

FOr a girl:
[name]Winter[/name] (my friend’s little girl’s middle name, born the day after [name]Christmas[/name]!)
[name]January[/name] (dislike the nn [name]Jan[/name] though - but I first heard this on a girl I used to work with and have loved it since)
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Sorrel[/name] (I know, it’s technically a boy’s name and I don’t usually gender swap, and here I’ve done it twice!)
[name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Andromeda[/name] (a long time favourite but too long and dramatic for my tastes now, even though I always had the nn [name]Andi[/name] in mind!)

I would use:
[name]Thessaly[/name]
[name]Tanwen[/name]
[name]Ceridwen[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]

I like but wouldn’t use:
[name]Echo[/name]
[name]Varenka[/name]
[name]Violante[/name] (so pretty! but so sounds like Violent!)

For boys I like more classic names.

Solene and Anais! I would definitely use it as a combo (Solene Anais) if I ever get to have a baby girl! Other than that, Primrose, Posey and Allegra are the only ones that I can think of.:slight_smile:

You are the only person I have seen mention Scheherazade besides me. I love it, but it is a very complicated name.

To the OP, as you can tell by my screen name, I LOVE unique names.

Guinevere
Isolde / Isolda
Valencia
Pandora
Elowen / Elowyn
Cordelia and, recently, Cornelia
Persephone
Hermione
Seraphina
Ophelia
Viviette
Tamora (I don’t see this very often)
Saoirse (LOVE the meaning “freedom”)
Iona / Iola
Isidora /Isadora
Olympia
Aphrodite
Antonina

I forgot [name]Andromeda[/name]. Oh and to R_J, I forgot [name]Echo[/name] too. Also like [name]Soraya[/name].

For boys:
Beowulf
[name]Atlas[/name]
[name]Odysseus[/name]
[name]Othello[/name]
[name]Neptune[/name]
[name]Eros[/name]
[name]Aramis[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name] / [name]Leon[/name]
[name]Remington[/name]
[name]Vladimir[/name]

I love the names [name]October[/name] and [name]September[/name]. Would probably only use them as middle names.

Boys:
[name]Bowen[/name]
[name]Augustine[/name] ([name]Austin[/name])

Girls:
[name]Mabel[/name] (Pretty sure a future daughter will be called this)
[name]Elula[/name] ([name]LuLu[/name])

I will admit to having some words as name fetishes atm.

Darling and Damsel are the two that come to mind. As middle names though!
I also like [name]Fawn[/name], again as a middle name.

I’d say [name]Serenity[/name] is unique, not in a “oh-no-one-ever-uses-it-so-I’m-special” kind of way, but a “oh-not-many-like-it-enough-to-use” kind of way.

[name]Selenia[/name] - prn Seh-[name]LEN[/name]-Nee-[name]Ah[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Remington[/name] as a girls middle name
Jedda
[name]Hale[/name] as a girls middle name

I like mostly unique girls names, not so much for boys:
[name]River[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Arizona[/name]
[name]Scout[/name] (that unusual… idk)
[name]California[/name] (but would never use it)
[name]Pip[/name] (ditto)
Troian (nobody really knows about it, so the one issue is people thinking its made up. in actuality its comes from trojans which means the people of [name]Troy[/name]. I definitely like it because of its tie to mythology! I would pair it with [name]Hermione[/name])

I would also use [name]Montgomery[/name] on a girl, but probably as a middle
you all have such interesting choices!