Unique Spelling?

I just read a blog post about creative/unusual spellings for names and I saw that most people were pretty against them, but I had a question. Does it matter how much a name is changed, or what the changes are? I named my daughter [name]Ainslea[/name] [name]Elenore[/name] (both different than the usual spelling) and I guess what I want to know is, how bad is it? We thought that putting the A at the end of [name]Ainslea[/name] made it look more feminine than [name]Ainsley[/name], and also a bit classier by making it look like [name]Chelsea[/name]. And [name]Elenore[/name] is spelled that way because she is named for my grandmother [name]Lenore[/name] (but I thought [name]Ainslea[/name] [name]Elenore[/name] flowed better than [name]Ainslea[/name] [name]Lenore[/name]).

So what do you think? Am I going to regret it? [name]Will[/name] she?

I sort of thought that in this day and age where so many people do have creatively spelled names or slight variations from the “normal” names that people aren’t automatically going to assume a certain spelling anyway. Am I wrong?

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m sorry if reading on here has made you concerned. First and foremost, the main thrust is meant to be advice for babies not yet here, not commentary on names of those who are here : D. [name]Ainslea[/name] [name]Elenore[/name] is very nice, and here are my thoughts about spelling.

It’s not that bad. I actually like the look of [name]Ainslea[/name] (not necessarily because it’s more feminine - because I think you still can’t tell when you hear it, but I just think the a at the beginning and end is nice. Actually, it’s very symmetrical with [name]Elenore[/name], in that regard : D, so that’s a cool tie-in between her two names). Another advantage of [name]Ainslea[/name] might be that it’s easier for her to take the nn [name]Lea[/name] prn’d either [name]Lee[/name] or [name]Leah[/name] if she ever wants to : D.

Here’s why:

1. People are much more concerned about this stuff on here than in the rest of the world.
  2. [name]Ainsley[/name] is not yet a particularly popular name (though I know it is rising) - at least as of yet, it’s the sort of name she’d probably have to spell often enough anyway.
  3. The spelling of [name]Ainslea[/name] is not that strange - she can try “[name]Ainslea[/name] with an A at the end” - and it’s visually appealing, it’s not, I dunno, Aynnzliegh, which is both really hard to spell quickly, and not visually appealing to me. Also, [name]Ainslea[/name] is easy to remember (enough) - once she’s explained it to people, she’s not going to have to keep spelling it over and over again. It’s possible it will occasionally be mild annoying, but I can’t imagine it will really be that big a deal.
  4. I personally at least don’t care that much about middle names’ spelling - it’s really not that often that people need to guess how to spell them. Especially in this case, where you want to honor a family member, that lovely and meaningful tie-in matters more than the spelling considerations if it’s what you want. Also, [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Elinor[/name] are two standard spellings, so while people would be more likely to guess [name]Eleanor[/name], it’s not like it’s super set it stone. [name]Eleanor[/name] is also the sort of name too that I bet lots of people don’t know how to spell anyway.

So, please rest your concerns and enjoy your baby girl and her name!

All best!

I agree with Jesba! And I am sorry you are concerned. I think creative spellings go awry when it is along the lines of “Keightlynn” for “[name]Caitlin[/name]”. [name]Ainslea[/name] is not that kind of spelling. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s that bad either, especially the elinor part, personally I prefer eleonore which a lot of people would think is strange. Your spelling is clearly just another accepted way of spelling it avd I can’t imagine people having issues with it. I don’t care for ainslea but that’s just my opinion and you can’t take these things too much to heart. Its a little trendy looking but it’s still easily pronounceable, if it was [name]Aynslee[/name] then I would say your daughter might not care for it later.

Bottom line the name is fine! It may not please everyone but what’s important is that you love it!

Please excuse any spelling errors I’m typing on my phone!

I disagree. [name]Ainslea[/name] looks like it should be pronounced ains-lee-uh instead of like [name]Ainsley[/name]. She’ll always be “[name]Ainsley[/name]-with-an-a.” It’s annoying to have your name misspelled and mispronounced constantly, and I think if you’re going to do that to a child, you better have a really good reason for it. “I think it looks better” isn’t, in my mind, a good enough reason.

Changing the spelling is certainly not the worst thing in the world. But the more you change the spelling, the more difficult it is to live with. Personally, I just think, “Why cause unnecessary problems for no reason?” [name]Ainsley[/name] makes more sense and it would cause virtually no problems with spelling or pronunciation. [name]Elenore[/name] I have less of a problem with. It’s not my taste, but it’s a middle name so it won’t be spelled by other people on a regular basis and is therefore pretty unlikely to cause problems. I’d still use [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elinor[/name], or [name]Eleonore[/name] because they all have the same sound as and are in fact related to [name]Lenore[/name], but I don’t think it’ll cause problems.

Well, when I saw ‘[name]Ainslea[/name]’ I immediately pronounced it ‘[name]Ainsley[/name]’ in my mind, before you even mentioned how it was actually pronounced, so I can’t see that many people having an issue with the name, which I think is beautiful by the way.

As for [name]Elenore[/name] - yes, I’m afraid people will misspell it, but honouring a relative like that is so lovely, I doubt your little girl will mind having to correct people as she can tell them the story behind the name too.

My middle name is a different spelling to the norm so I’m always having to correct people, but then I mention it’s my Mums name and it kind of gives me a good reason to have the name spelt like it, it’s not just that my parents couldn’t spell the original name! lol

[name]Don[/name]'t worry, it’s a lovely name and most certainly does not fit the mould of a ‘unique’ spelling

I didn’t know what [name]Ainslea[/name] was until I read further. I keep saying it as “ayns-lee-a” with that a at the end. Personally, I don’t like it, but it could be much much worse. I’m much more lenient on middle names. I actually like the meaning behind the spelling, so that’s fine for me.

The thing that bugs me about different spellings is that it’s still the same name. Slight difference (like [name]Aiden[/name] vs. [name]Aidan[/name]) is ok, and that’s more about preference. But when parents spell the name differently [name]JUST[/name] to be different, that’s what annoys me. [name]Ryleigh[/name] is still [name]Riley[/name] at the end of the day. There will still be more Rileys in his/her class. [name]Just[/name] because it’s spelled differently doesn’t make it a different name. It just causes a headache [name]IMO[/name]. [name]Little[/name] [name]Ryleigh[/name] is going to have to correct people her whole life (I say her because this spelling would be even worse on a boy!). No one is going to remember how to spell it (hell, people who have known me for years can’t even spell my name right and it’s not that complicated!). But that’s just my 2 cents on the issue.

I always recommend to go with the most popular spelling to make life easier. My name had a few variations and I am grateful that my mom picked the one that people accept as the standard spelling.

[name]Ainslea[/name] isn’t that bad, however, I did have to do a double take. I was thinking it might be Ains-[name]Leah[/name] (pronouncing the A).

Granted, as someone with a unique name, I often had people my name was a creative spelling for another name.

That’s not that bad at all imo. You did it for good reason, And I like the look of [name]Ainslea[/name] far more than [name]Ainsley[/name].
[name]Elenore[/name] is because she’s named after a [name]Lenore[/name], so really, I think you’re good.

Personally, it’s the unique spellings for no reason that annoy me. Or the ones that as so obnoxious. Like Alixxzandra.

I would like to give my two cent. I might be in the minority but I actually don’t see spelling my name out as a burden at all, actually I love when people don’t know how to spell it(granted my name doesn’t have a different spelling of the original but it is fairly uncommon). [name]Ainslea[/name] to me isn’t bad and I actually like it! I didn’t see it as Ains-[name]Lee[/name]-uh at first glance but can see why other’s would. But honestly saying(no it’s Ains-lee) a few times wouldn’t be a huge burden, or at least it doesn’t seem like it would be.

As for her middle name I love that you are honoring someone and to me middle names are pretty much free-reign since no one will really know her middle name were it will be a daily “burden”. I hope this eases you mind!

There’s more than 1 factor to me for different spellings. [name]How[/name] popular the name is, how different it is from a normal spelling, reason for it (to honor someone or some other special meaning) and the position.

I knew how to pronounce [name]Ainslea[/name] before you said how it was meant to be. I’ve always pronounced [name]Lea[/name] as lee and [name]Leah[/name] as lee-uh, though. Not everyone does so I can see their confusion. I like the fact that the fn begins and ends with ‘a’ and the mn begins and ends with ‘e’. That flow works well. It isn’t as bad to me if it’s a mn, either. Most people don’t hear (or need to spell) the mn often so it’s not near as big an issue as if it’s a fn.

It’s more when they’re done for no particular reason other than they look pretty or for the sole purpose of being ‘unique’. [name]Alexandra[/name] v. Alehxxandrahh (I know someone named [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Garcia[/name], on her facebook she spells it Alehxxandrahh Gahrciah. Since I’ve NEVER seen [name]Garcia[/name] spelled that way I’m thinking she just thinks it’s cool to change the spelling of her name. She’s a teenager, so hopefully she’ll grow out of that!!) If it’s actually spelled with the extra x and added h’s, then it’s pronounced it’s no different than [name]Alexandra[/name]. And I don’t know anyone that would naturally spell the name that harder way!

All that to say, I think it really depends on the name itself and how it was changed. I like Avonlea [name]Elenore[/name]. :slight_smile:

My name is [name]Melody[/name] and even though it is the most traditional way of spelling it, people always ask me if it is with a ‘y’ or with an ‘ie’. They still get it wrong and think it’s [name]Melanie[/name] no matter how clearly I pronounce it. I think there are so many unusual names and spellings these days that even if your name was [name]Jennifer[/name] or [name]Peggy[/name], people would still ask you how to spell it in case your parents threw something different in there, like [name]Gennifer[/name] or Pegi. I think your daughters name is very pretty. I especially like [name]Elenore[/name]. I think [name]Ainslea[/name] is really lovely too but I also read it as Ains-lee-ah. Who cares though right? I am sure your daughter will be quick to clear up any confusion.

I’m someone with a ‘different’ spelling, and I am constantly spelling my name out to people, but honestly it never bothers me that much. I would have been “[name]Kerry[/name]” unless my mom had suggested the ‘ie’ to make it for feminine, and I like that I am unique in that regard. And I really don’t think she’ll be spelling out her middle name too often. For school or filling out forms once in a while?

Also I knew how to pronounce [name]Ainslea[/name] right away.

I honestly don’t see a problem with it! You haven’t chosen super weird creative spelling or anything.

Gone are the days of [name]John[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name], you daughter will grow up in a generation of “Keightlynn’s” and “[name]Ryleigh[/name]'s” so spelling your name out will probably be a common place.