Unisex Names for Girls?

Hey everyone!! What are all your thoughts on unisex names for girls? I really like them but I’m still not sure I guess. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Personally, I think unisex names on girls are really cute! There’s [name_u]Arden[/name_u], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]… I could go on! They’re not for everyone, but if you like them, go for it!

I’m a fan! I especially love the balance of a unisex first paired with a more traditional feminine middle.

1 Like

Unisex names on girls are great! In fact, they’re some of my favorites :slight_smile: I think if you like them you should definitely use them!

There’s quite a few that i like - [name_u]Quincy[/name_u], [name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] are some of my favourites

For me, it’s all about the name.

Some unisex names I love on girls; these include [name_u]Fife[/name_u], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Wynn[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u], [name_u]Kestrel[/name_u], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u]… (I adore these on boys too, actually!)

I generally like nature/word names in particular as unisex names, since so many aren’t inherently linked to any particular gender.

I don’t love [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_u]Presley[/name_u], [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u] type surname/occupation names for girls — but then, I’m not keen on them for boys either.

The only part of the “unisex“ names trend I really fundamentally dislike is using boys’ names like [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for a girl.

It’s been well-documented on here so I won’t go in depth into an argument that’s been had a hundred times before, but basically it’s a one-way street. Parents don’t think it’s cool and empowering to name their sons [name_f]Ella[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], so the idea that it is cool and empowering to give girls male names says a lot about how society still devalues anything “female”.

That said, my dislike of this trend is a personal one, and I fully understand and respect that others have different views on it. Life would be boring if we all had the same tastes and views on everything!

2 Likes

Agree with all your points!

I think nature names are truly unisex- I don’t associate them with one gender over another unless it’s floral names like [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], Magnolias etc.

Unisex nature names I love:
[name_u]Briar[/name_u]
[name_u]Wren[/name_u]
[name_u]Snow[/name_u]
[name_u]Rain[/name_u]
[name_u]Skye[/name_u]
[name_u]Lark[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]/Robyn
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u]
[name_u]Haydn[/name_u] (reminds me of hay)

One of the names you mentioned is [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]. What are your thoughts on that for a girl?

@cwoods just wanted to pop in and say I love [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] for a girl! I think it’s brave, adventurous, literary, and so cool! I used to see it as just a boys name, but ever since I saw a berry use it for her daughter, I’ve loved it! If you’re still unsure, you could always use it as a middle. I really like it as a first, though!

2 Likes

I love most unisex names, especially [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Storm[/name_u], [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], and [name_u]Blake[/name_u]

Honestly, as a girl with a unisex name, I hate it. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is also unisex, so people frequently think I’m a male. I get misgendered constantly and I’ve been given weird looks when I give my name at government offices, banks, doctor appointments, etc. I have had people refuse to believe me until I give them my license to prove my identity. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Brett[/name_u] btw. It’s kind of insane. I’m a 90s baby, so not that far behind on this trend.

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] as a name for a girl-I associate it with [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]. Taking into account what [name_u]Brett[/name_u] said, I’d probably pair it with an obviously feminine name in the middle.

1 Like