Unisex names - I don't like mine! Comments pls :)

[name]Hi[/name] Berries -
I haven’t ever been thrilled with my name (first and middle) - Sh@nnon L/nn…finally figured out why.

It isn’t very feminine sounding to me (and I love feminine names - not too over-the-top girly girl, but soft). [name]Both[/name] Sh@nnon and L/nn are unisex! No wonder it doesn’t seem like it fits me.

Now it makes sense to me why I want to make a change. I’ve started using [name]Sally[/name] as my nickname and really like it. I’m considering changing my middle name to @melia, thereby giving me the initials “[name]SAL[/name]”. Sh@nnon @melia Lastname. [name]Love[/name] it and it feels right!

Wdyt? (btw, I’m a mom w/ kids and been thinking about this for a long time, it’s not a whim :slight_smile:
[name]Sally[/name]

If that is what you want, then go for it. It’s pretty expensive to legally change your name though. If you can deal with going by [name]Sally[/name], I think you could still say that it comes from your initials SLL?

I think name change isn’t really needed, nicknames are informal! Unless you want to change your first name to [name]Sally[/name] (which i [name]LOVE[/name], btw!), i’d say you don’t need to change the middle to validate the name.

I rather agree with pps. While Sh@nnon Ame1ia is pretty, I think it’s a lot of hassle and expense when [name]Sally[/name] is a fabulous nickname that works great with your current name/initials.

Thanks, guys, for your thoughtful replies. I do agree it isn’t necessary to change my mn in order to use S@lly, I just really like the idea of having a very pretty mn. I guess my thought is that it ISN"T a must, but seems like it will make me happy. Yes, it would be a bit of a hassle to change, but just seeing all of my bills come as Sh@nnon AmeIia Lastname would put a smile on my face.

From what I understand, it’s a couple of hundred dollars to change through the courts (fees). I spoke with our county court and understand the process. Then it’s a matter of calling, writing all important lenders, insurers, etc. to change the name on the account. I think it’s quite doable.

Any other thoughts out there?
Thanks!
[name]Sally[/name]

Mm. If you really want to change it, go ahead. Nobody’s stopping you. I think it sounds lovely. But I honestly am asking, why do I keep seeing people write things like Sh@nnon and @melia instead of just [name]Shannon[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name]? Is there a reason or…?