Unisex names outdated for girls, but PERFECT for boys???

Hey ladies! I was inspired by another thread on here in the boy’s section. There was a woman asking about naming her son [name]Ashley[/name] recently. I loveeeee this idea. It would be a very dated name for a little girl to have, but it seems refreshing for a little boy!
It made me start thinking of names that are mostly female now, but were once male names. There are so many great names like that out there that have been taken over by women, and now seem VERY dated. However, if they were used on boys, they would be soooo refreshing and cool imo. Here are a few names that I would say are outdated for women, but are ready to make a comeback for the guys. I thought it would be fun if we all added names to the list. I will start with a few below, and add more later. Oh, I’m not pregnant either. I just thought it would be fun to talk about those kind of names.

Once again, these are names that would be outdated for baby girls, but are refreshing enough for baby boys. [name]Feel[/name] free to list your own ideas :slight_smile:

[name]Stacy[/name]- My brother in law has this name. He loves it and he has always been a buff/football/ guy. He is now a rugged cop…lol.(He’s currently in his early 30’s)

[name]Ashley[/name]- I love this name, and actually know a guy named this. Sadly he hates his name and keeps it a secret bc he’s a rapper lol.(He’s currently in his mid 20’s)

[name]Lindsey[/name]- Once again, I know a guy with this name too. He never liked it though, and goes by his mn instead…how sad.(He’s currently in his mid 20’s)

[name]Kelly[/name]- I have known a [name]Kylan[/name] and a [name]Kellin[/name], but never a [name]Kelly[/name]. When I was younger I wanted to name my son [name]Kelly[/name].(Those guys are currently in their mid 20’s)

[name]Kerry[/name]- I know a guy who PROUDLY wears this name. His brother’s name is karey(pronounced Car-eeee)(He’s currently in his mid 20’s)

[name]Dana[/name]- I knew a football player with this name in HS.(He’s currently in his mid 20’s)

[name]Shannon[/name]- I knew a guy with this name in HS. He was more of the nerdy shy type though.(He’s currently in his mid 20’s)

[name]Shelby[/name]- I had a guy neighbor with this name…never met another guy with it though.(He’s currently in his late teens/early 20’s)

[name]Kimberly[/name]

[name]Robin[/name]

[name]Morgan[/name]

[name]Leslie[/name]

[name]Whitney[/name]

[name]Channing[/name]

[name]Joss[/name]

I love, love, love [name]Lindsay[/name] and [name]Morgan[/name] for boys. [name]Alas[/name], my friends all told me like I was nuts when I mentioned using them (and my biggest fear is giving my kids a name they’ll hate and resent me for) so they’ve both been relegated to middle name status.

My sister’s name is [name]Ashley[/name], and she’s sad about that only because she’d love to use it for a boy but thinks it’s one thing to name a boy after his dad, and a very different thing to name him after his mom. As an addition to your list, she also wants to have a son and name him [name]James[/name], nickname [name]Jamie[/name].

And most of those names seem perfectly suitable for a boy these days. Dunno if I’d go so far as [name]Kimberly[/name], though. It’s still ultra girly-girl to me.

[name]Alexis[/name]

You forgot my [name]FAVORITE[/name] name [name]Aubrey[/name]. I love this name so much and [name]Angel[/name] I love that name for a boy also. I actually saw a little boy with the name [name]Angel[/name] and he is adorable!

I think some of these names are a bit more ready for a revival than others. I would much prefer the [name]Cary[/name] spelling for a boy.

I think [name]Mackenzie[/name] is pretty neat on a boy, myself - [name]Mac[/name], Kenz, [name]Kenzo[/name]. Well, in theory, I do. And, I agree about [name]Kimberly[/name]. Is that even unisex? Still all girl to me…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I’ve always liked [name]Riley[/name],[name]Mackenzie[/name],[name]Peyton[/name],[name]Adrian[/name],and [name]Alexis[/name] better on boys. I’ve met tons of girls named [name]Riley[/name],2 [name]Mackenzie[/name]'s (1 boy,1 girl),a girl [name]Peyton[/name],and twin boys named [name]Adrian[/name] and [name]Alexis[/name]. all of them are adorable,but girl [name]Riley[/name]'s are killing me. where I live,they’re more popular than [name]Sophia[/name],[name]Ava[/name],and [name]Madeline[/name] combined!

Ooh, I also like [name]Cary[/name] for a boy!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Robin[/name] and [name]Aubrey[/name] for boys! They need to be used more often!!

DH has a (male) friend named [name]Hilary[/name]- At first, I thought this was so odd but now I kinda like it. He often goes by [name]Larry[/name] though!

I agree with many of those names too! The OP from her introduction didn’t realize that there are some male members here though; I’m a guy and I’m also a proud bearer of one of those names myself ([name]Kelly[/name]).

Oh, great suggestions of [name]Aubrey[/name], [name]Jamie[/name], and [name]Hillary[/name]. I totally forgot about those. My grandfather was actually named [name]Aubra[/name] (pronounced Au-bruh) which is a variation of [name]Aubrey[/name].

Also, [name]Kim[/name]/[name]Kimberly[/name] is unisex. It was a male name back in the day though. I’ve never actually met a male [name]Kimberly[/name], but I have seen it on paperwork and etc. They are usually older men in their 40s or 50s. There’s also a black male jazz musician named [name]Kim[/name] Waters.

Here’s the wiki:

[name]Kim[/name] Water’s site:

I also found a funny website online for guys named [name]Kim[/name]:
http://www.guysnamedkim.com/GNK/index.html

It’s so funny how things change. I find it interesting that [name]Evelyn[/name] was once a male name too, and is now unisex. I can’t imagine a male [name]Evelyn[/name], but I guess it would be somewhat like [name]Everett[/name] or [name]Evan[/name] if it weren’t so heavily associated with women these days.

Another one is [name]Sasha[/name].

I have to say though I still like these names better for girls (I’m in my early 30s)… though I do know males who are named:

[name]Stacy[/name] (50-ish)
[name]Ashley[/name] (early 30’s)
[name]Kelly[/name] (early 30’s)
[name]Kim[/name] (50-ish)
[name]Robin[/name] (late 20’s)
[name]Leslie[/name] (50-ish)
[name]Jamie[/name] (late 40’s)
[name]Angel[/name] (late 50’s)

I love [name]Cleo[/name] on a boy, it was popular in the early 1900’s

I’ve met a couple of guys named [name]Kelly[/name], and one named even named [name]Kelsey[/name]! (he was the quarterback on our home team :D)
Plus I’ve known several [name]Aubrey[/name]'s and [name]Morgan[/name]'s

Ditto! :smiley:

Also: [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Lilian[/name], and [name]Jocelyn[/name] were originally boys names.

My favorite has got to be [name]Casey[/name].

I love [name]Morgan[/name] & [name]Kelly[/name] for boys!! I knew a boy [name]Kelly[/name] he’s about 16 now!

Im not sure about [name]Ashley[/name] on a boy at this point, because its still being used on such a LARGE scale for girls (last year 2009 almost 9,000 girls were named [name]Ashley[/name]), it still has such a feminine feel to me.

In response to the original post, I would [name]LOVE[/name] to see these names be used on boys again! I know a male [name]Courtney[/name] who’s in his teens, and I find the name very refreshing on him. I’ve met tons of female Courtneys and only one male [name]Courtney[/name]. It’s very sad because I think the name is very masculine and handsome. I would be thrilled to meet a little boy named [name]Courtney[/name]. I would really love to see [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Kelly[/name], [name]Whitney[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Carey[/name], [name]Morgan[/name], [name]Robin[/name], [name]Aubrey[/name], [name]Shannon[/name], and [name]Avery[/name] go back to the boys. [name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name] would be interesting to see cross back over as well. Unfortunately though, I don’t see it happening any time soon. Unless of course a fabulous group of Nameberry moms and dads decided to all give their sons these names and start a mini-trend? Always an option… :slight_smile:

I have always LOVED [name]Shannon[/name] for a boy! ALWAYS! I remeber the first time i suggested it to my hubby, and he goes ‘hahahaha no.’ :frowning:

Coutrney is another great one I forgot about! I have known about 3 or 4 of them(in their mid 20’s now).