Unusual Biblical Girl Names?

Does anyone happen to have any ideas for more unusual girl names that have Biblical or [name_u]Christian[/name_u] significance? I’m open to anything — words or places or people from the Bible, [name_u]Christian[/name_u] symbols, saints, whatever you can come up with. [name_f]My[/name_f] current list is: [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f], [name_f]Galilee[/name_f], [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_f]Glory[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f], Deliverance, [name_f]Promise[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], and [name_f]Cherith[/name_f].

1 Like

I was going to recommend [name_f]Glory[/name_f], it’s just so beautiful. I also love [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], and [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f].

[name_f]Tzipporah[/name_f]/[name_f]Zipporah[/name_f]
[name_f]Selah[/name_f]
[name_u]Shai[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleora[/name_f]/[name_f]Eliora[/name_f]
[name_f]Abra[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Marisol[/name_f]?
[name_f]Blessing[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]
Israela
Eilat
[name_u]Zion[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], so I obviously enjoy that. I also really love [name_f]Glory[/name_f] and [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f]. I would also suggest [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u], [name_u]Dove[/name_u], [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], [name_u]Solace[/name_u], and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Jubilee[/name_f] is one of my favorites :slight_smile:

[name_f]Atarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f]
[name_u]Damaris[/name_u]
[name_f]Hepzibah[/name_f]
[name_f]Jerusha[/name_f]
[name_f]Keturah[/name_f]
[name_f]Prisca[/name_f]/[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Talitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Syntyche[/name_f]
[name_f]Zilpah[/name_f]
[name_u]Jael[/name_u]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f]
[name_m]Jezreel[/name_m]
[name_f]Calah[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_u]Neriah[/name_u]
[name_f]Zemira[/name_f]

Nameberry has this list… :blush:

https://nameberry.com/list/456/Unusual-Biblical-[name_u]Baby[/name_u]-Names

Some unusual Biblical names that came to mind:
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]/[name_f]Tabea[/name_f]
[name_f]Salome[/name_f]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f]
[name_f]Vashti[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Hadassah[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethia[/name_f]/Bithiah
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]/[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
Also there are so many unusual variants of Biblical names like [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I would also recommend looking at female equivalents of male Biblical names. [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] is one I saw recently.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are…

[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Hosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f]
[name_f]Selah[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethel[/name_f]
Bethlehem
[name_f]Beulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f]
[name_f]Hadassah[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Estella[/name_f]/[name_f]Estrella[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]

Of your names I like: [name_f]Sunday[/name_f], [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] best. I think [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_f]Promise[/name_f] would make great middles- [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Promise[/name_f] is gorgeous.

Some suggestions:
[name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_f]Zora[/name_f]
[name_f]Keilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Salome[/name_f]
[name_f]Keturah[/name_f]
[name_f]Atara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zillah[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariyah[/name_f] (Feminine variant of [name_m]Aryeh[/name_m])
[name_f]Raziah[/name_f]
[name_f]Maryam[/name_f]/[name_f]Miryam[/name_f]/[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Casiphia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emanuella[/name_f]
[name_u]Aquila[/name_u]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Adina[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhoda[/name_f]
[name_f]Tamar[/name_f]/[name_f]Tamara[/name_f]
[name_f]Rainbow[/name_f]
[name_f]Glory[/name_f]
[name_f]Mercy[/name_f]
[name_u]Temple[/name_u]
[name_u]Sinai[/name_u]
[name_f]Epiphany[/name_f]

1 Like

I love love love [name_f]Galilee[/name_f]!

There’s also [name_f]Chava[/name_f] pronounced Haw-vuh which is I believe the Hebrew version of [name_f]Eve[/name_f].

I’ve heard of a little boy called Jerusalem, but I think it could work for a girl.

[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]
[name_f]Hosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] (means star)

So many great suggestions already! No one’s mentioned [name_f]Tirzah[/name_f], yet, though. I’ll throw that one in because I’ve always found it quite pretty and unusual.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite religious name is [name_f]Ave[/name_f]’ (ah-vay). I would love to hear of a little [name_f]Ave[/name_f]’ [name_f]Regina[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_m]Naftali[/name_m]
[name_f]Sela[/name_f]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
Naära
Rispa
Roosje

[name_m]Nazareth[/name_m] hasn’t been mentioned yet! It’s a beautiful name.

You listed two of my favorites, [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f]. I love them. I second [name_f]Tirzah[/name_f], and also recommend Berea; early believers from Berea were known for their devotion to truth.

I don’t see [name_f]Thekla[/name_f] [Teck-la] here yet, even in the list @_thelittlefairywren posted. I knew a [name_f]Thekla[/name_f] in college and the name blew me away. Good balance between heavy and bright feel, visually intriguing. I love it.

I love [name_f]Galilee[/name_f] and [name_f]Sunday[/name_f]!

[name_f]Olivet[/name_f] - the mountain where [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] ascended (Acts 1:12)
[name_f]Beata[/name_f] - means [name_u]Blessed[/name_u] or happy in Latin (think of the Beatitudes)
[name_f]Caeli[/name_f] - pronounced [name_m]Chay[/name_m]-lee, it’s Latin for “of heaven”
[name_f]Dinah[/name_f] - not super unusual but she was [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]’s only daughter
[name_f]Talitha[/name_f] - “[name_f]Talitha[/name_f] Kuom” means “rise little girl” [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] uses this phrase when he brings Jaris’ daughter back from the dead
[name_u]Cana[/name_u] - After [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]’ first miracle at the Wedding of [name_u]Cana[/name_u]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f] - she was imprisoned with [name_m]Paul[/name_m] (Romans 16:7)
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f] - [name_m]Job[/name_m]’s second daughter
Azelie - The birth name of St. [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] [name_m]Martin[/name_m] the mother of St. [name_f]Therese[/name_f] of Lisieux
[name_f]Avila[/name_f] - after St. [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] of [name_f]Avila[/name_f]
[name_f]Trinity[/name_f] - for the Holy [name_f]Trinity[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] - a bit stretchy but St. [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] used to explain the [name_f]Trinity[/name_f] using three leaf clovers
[name_u]Genesis[/name_u] - first book of the Bible
[name_f]Samaria[/name_f] - a place name featured prominently in the Gospels
[name_u]Corin[/name_u] - short for Corinthians, one of the most popular books of the Bible
Novena - a prayer that is said for nine consecutive days, pronounced No-vee-na
[name_f]Virtue[/name_f], [name_f]Modesty[/name_f], [name_f]Temperance[/name_f], [name_f]Prudence[/name_f], [name_f]Miracle[/name_f]

4 Likes

I know of an [name_f]Avila[/name_f], and I’ve always thought it was so soft and elegant sounding. All the heart eyes for that one!

I can’t thank you all enough for the wonderful suggestions. They’re all so beautiful and so many touched my heart. Here are the combos I’ve created using these names:

[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f], [name_f]Selah[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Thaddea[/name_f] [name_f]Rainbow[/name_f], [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Junia[/name_f] [name_f]Trinity[/name_f], Azelie [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_u]Genesis[/name_u] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] [name_f]Olive[/name_f].

2 Likes