update: which is worse for SIBLING names

See the results of this poll: which is worse for siblings, names that:

Respondents: 49 (This poll is closed)

• begin with the same letter : 24 (49%)
  • end the same (a, n, ia, y, i.e. etc): 25 (51%)

Neither of those bothers me. It’s when they sound the same like…[name]Emily[/name]/[name]Amelia[/name], [name]JoAnn[/name]/[name]Johanna[/name]
Or when they are too drastically different like [name]Madison[/name]/[name]Poppy[/name]/[name]Dash[/name] ([name]Madison[/name] has a dull name compared to siblings)

I hate it when names have the same endings! [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Evanna[/name]? Gorgeous. [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Waverly[/name]? No!

Neither bothers me, to a point. [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] are fine, as are [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Laura[/name]. But if you have two names that start and end the same, like [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]… I think that’s too similar.

Personally, I prefer siblings to have their own initial as well as different endings. Ideally, it would be wonderful to have children with different initials with one of each ending: a, o, et, n, th etc… I guess if I have to choose “the lesser of two evils”, I would choose first initials.

First Initials are ok if the names sound different.

[name]Jason[/name],[name]Jayden[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] = bad
[name]Jason[/name], [name]Jeremy[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] = good

Some endings bother me more than others. I don’t mind all girls ending in “a” because this is a common occurrence in many European cultures. However, they should have some differences. [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Juliana[/name] would be fine but I wouldn’t like [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] as sisters.

The worst endings: (1) the names that end in “an/on/in/en/yn”. They just sound so similar that they all start to blur after awhile; (2) the names ending in “ee/ie/ey/eigh”. Too many of these names sound cutesy and rhymey.

As long as the names are different enough, I don’t care if they start with the same initial. Actually, I know a few people who purposely gave their kids all the same initials. I know three daughters whose names all started with the letter N. It was never a big issue. Also, I have family where the mother, father, son and daughter’s names all start with the letter A. Same actually for my hubby and his brother, both their names start with A. My son’s name starts with an L and it wouldn’t bother me at all to use an L for my next child. For example Luther and Lydia sounds fine to me. Same initial, but the names sound different enough that it is ok. Something like Lilly and Lola sound a little too match.

Same endings can be a little more annoying if too much of the name rhymes. For example Riley and Kylie would annoy me a little, but Victoria and Sophia aren’t bad at all.

Matching endings bothers me more than matching first initials. [name]Linus[/name], [name]Lavinia[/name], and [name]Lysander[/name] would be excellent, whereas something like [name]Jonas[/name], [name]Tobias[/name], and [name]Phineas[/name] is a bit more noticeable.

It depends. In my country most names for girls end with a. Some male names end with a. I think [name]Claudette[/name] and [name]Viviette[/name] are to similar but [name]Dahlia[/name] or [name]Luna[/name] are not so similar. Or [name]Marina[/name] and [name]Nina[/name].

[name]EDIT[/name]: Many names end -na or -ne and -n. It depends.

it sounds like generally its the sound alike elements that are the most troublesome - so same ending or beginning can be ok if names are totally different but can be terrible if the names have sound alike elements???

With endings it’s not so obvious, but with beginnings it is. I don’t really have a problem with it, but picked beginning because it’s more obvious. For example [name]Stephanie[/name], [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Sydney[/name], and [name]Summer[/name] is more noticeable than [name]Luna[/name], [name]Stella[/name], and [name]Flora[/name].

It gets [name]WAY[/name] too much for me when the beginning and ending is the same, like my nieces [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Nina[/name]. Too matchy for my tastes.

Definitely the same letter, the same ending usually doesn’t bother at all.

If one kid is left out, that’s no good either. My grandmother and her sisters are [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ida[/name], [name]Nelda[/name] and…[name]Florence[/name]. Poor [name]Florence[/name]! My sister and I are [name]Bridget[/name] and [name]Brenna[/name], my brother is [name]Travis[/name]. My entire life people kept asking us if my mom ran out of “B” names. If he was a girl he was to be [name]Blair[/name]. It seemed like she just gave up trying to stick to her theme.

It depends on the sound on if it bothers me or not. [name]One[/name] of my cousins has a [name]Cale[/name], [name]Connor[/name] and [name]Kennedy[/name] (g) and her sister has [name]Garrett[/name], [name]Graham[/name], [name]Grant[/name] and [name]Grayson[/name] nn [name]Gray[/name]. The latter sibset goes by G1, G2, G3 and G4 much of the time, otherwise their names get confusing together often. The former sibset is different enough that it’s not a problem. When my sister was pregnant with her first they liked [name]Breckin[/name] for a girl. It was a boy, and they went with [name]Brent[/name] [name]Gene[/name] (both grandpa’s mn’s). I don’t think they’ed ever use [name]Breckin[/name] now, as it’s too close to [name]Brent[/name].

Ending a’s don’t bug me, as it is pretty common. Not super fond of ending n’s for all kids, but it could be worse. I do agree with others that when both names begin AND end with the same letters it’s too much. I know an [name]Elle[/name] and [name]Emme[/name]. [name]Both[/name] start and end with ‘e’ and are 4 letters. Too close for me. The ex of [name]Nina[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] that another poster gave is the same.

I agree with others, that if the middle part of the names sound alike, as well as the beginning or the end, that’s the biggest issue I would avoid.

It kind of depends on the names that are being thrown about…

I don’t particularly like sibsts with same initials but say if there was five children and two have the same first initial that wouldn’t bother me.

It depends on the sounds of the names too, so [name]Ethan[/name] and [name]Nathan[/name] begin with a different letter but sound way too a like and share too many of the same letters. I think it depends on the end sound too, like all girl’s names ending in ‘a’ aren’t too bad together and in fact most of my favourite girl’s names end in ‘a’ but I’d use them together - something like [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Pandora[/name] etc.

In terms of ending of the names, it doesn’t bother me as much because they can still sound pretty different and not too matchy. I love a lot of boy’s names ending the ‘a/ah/er’ sound and because I love them I’m kind of not put off by the matching endings, e.g. [name]Asher[/name], [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Micah[/name], [name]River[/name], [name]Noah[/name] etc.

I cannot stand sibling names that end with -lee. Not only do they sound cutesy, I can’t distinguish between them, since I have an auditory processing disorder. Many times they sound the same. An [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Kelly[/name] sibset would make me go crazy.

First initials that match are tricky to get right. [name]Samantha[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name] may work beatifully, but if the [name]Samantha[/name] decides to go by [name]Sammy[/name], you have a matchy set. [name]Seren[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] might work better. [name]Both[/name] are completely different in styles, but can obviously be sibling names.

[name]Both[/name] are NMS but I think rhyming names would annoy me more. I can just see a sibset of [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Braden[/name] and [name]Caden[/name] now… lol. But as some people have mentioned, when they sound too similar, that’s annoying. My fiance is friends with twin brothers named [name]Darrel[/name] and [name]Darren[/name]. I mean, they are [name]ONE[/name] letter apart. That’s too much for me.

As for the names starting with the same letter, I don’t have a huge problem with that unless you’re the Duggars/Kardashians and change the spelling of the name to fit (looking at [name]Khloe[/name] and [name]Jinger[/name]).