updated poll! out with Adessa, in with Viv!

:slight_smile: [name]Jill[/name]- YES! [name]Viv[/name] actually made the cut! Iā€™m playing with variations including [name]Vivia[/name], [name]Vivika[/name], and Vivachka (to make sure it can be properly ā€œRussianizedā€ for my side of the family). Still sounding kind of formal (hopefully not stuffy) but loosening up a bit. It does sound lovely with both middle and last names. I hear you, though, [name]Emilia[/name] is definitely closest to his fave so Iā€™m really feeling like I should go with it- not to mention itā€™s beautiful and has great nn potentialā€¦Itā€™ll certainly make DH happy:) Still not sure why I canā€™t commit? I think perhaps because itā€™s such a soft name I donā€™t think of it as spunky which, judging by the pregnancy, she will certainly be! In the meantime, DH is actually starting to consider [name]Ruby[/name] as an [name]Emilia[/name] contender! It gets more confusing (and interesting) by the dayā€¦

Sylviafaye- thanks! It seems people are split between loving this combo and having a very negative reaction to it. I think Iā€™m leaning towards loving it myself but I do get stuck on worrying about how it would age. Youā€™re right, though, sheā€™d go by first and last names most of the time. BTW, I love your names:)

I find the poll results really interesting! The first poll clearly had [name]Emilia[/name] as the winner with [name]Ruby[/name] a close second and [name]Eden[/name] third. the second poll had [name]Ruby[/name] as the clear leader with [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Emilia[/name] trailing behind, while this one has [name]Viv[/name] in the lead and everyone else far behind. I think [name]Eden[/name] is trailing off of our list, though I still think itā€™s a beautiful name. [name]Isabella[/name] is still hanging on- though I wish I could find an alternate way to get to [name]Bella[/name]ā€¦I do wish DH would agree to some of the Russian names- trying on [name]Sasha[/name] for size, but I fear it doesnā€™t flow as well as the other options.

As always- thanks again for the great input! Itā€™s really helpful:)

Heā€™s considering [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]? (I may have misunderstood, but if thatā€™s the case, woo-hoo!!!) I love every [name]Viv[/name] name from above, and for what itā€™s worth, the [name]Viv[/name] nickname and names all feel spunky to me. Plus, with the ā€œlifeā€ meaning, I think of a happy, energetic life. :slight_smile:

Have good night! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]:slight_smile: No, heā€™s considering [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Rose[/name] over [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. I loved the sound of [name]Ruby[/name] Emlia [name]Prince[/name] or even [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Prince[/name] but [name]Rose[/name] is a must keep. The only way to work [name]Ruby[/name] in is to choose it for her first name, or follow the celebs and give her four names:) I think he likes [name]Ruby[/name] over [name]Emilia[/name] but [name]Emma[/name] is still his No 1. I am still really liking [name]Viv[/name]. [name]Sasha[/name] was vetoed as itā€™s the name of an ex-boyfriend- off limits (I think thatā€™s fair). Iā€™m watching the poll and am still surprised how far back [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Eden[/name] have fallenā€¦ Oh- such tough choices!:slight_smile:

OK- we are at a standstill- again! Now considering adding [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Eliana[/name] but cutting out [name]Eden[/name] and, possibly, [name]Isabella[/name]. Iā€™m surprised by how poorly [name]Isabella[/name] has done in the polls- is it because itā€™s really THAT common? I donā€™t have too many friends with kids so I donā€™t know first hand. I really love the nn [name]Bella[/name] - perhaps [name]Anabella[/name]?

In he meantimeā€¦Iā€™m still leaning towards [name]Vivienne[/name] while DH is split between [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Emilia[/name]- so the search continuesā€¦Thoughts/suggestions and your votes very welcome!

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name], even as a middle name! What about these?

[name]Adabella[/name]
[name]Annabella[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
Carabella
[name]Orabella[/name]
[name]Sabella[/name]

[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Jezebel[/name]
[name]Maribel[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! Sorry about my [name]Ruby[/name] confusion! Iā€™m with the program now. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Lucia[/name]! I also love [name]Eliana[/name], but I personally wouldnā€™t use a name ending in the ā€œon aā€ sound with your last name, [name]Prince[/name], because [name]Eliana[/name] ([name]El[/name]-ee-on-uh) [name]Prince[/name] sounds like ā€œ[name]Ellie[/name] on a princeā€ to me. (I think of someone named [name]Ellie[/name] sitting on a prince.) :slight_smile: That may just be me, though.

I do think [name]Isabella[/name] is a really beautiful name, but because Iā€™ve heard it so often (itā€™s the #2 name), I just liked some of your other names more. Also, [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Prince[/name] sounded like a question to me (ā€œIs a bell a prince?ā€), so thatā€™s why I voted for [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Vivienne[/name]. You may also like [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name].

My favorites are [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], and [name]Lucia[/name]! I love them all, and think theyā€™re really beautiful with [name]Rose[/name] and your last name! :slight_smile:

Some more you may like:

[name]Arabella[/name] (although I kind of think of an Arab [name]Prince[/name])
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name] (I think you said this was out, though)
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] (something classic like [name]Emma[/name])
[name]Katia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] (I canā€™t remember if a [name]Rose[/name] name is a possibility for you up front)
[name]Viveca[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Eden[/name] ā€“ I donā€™t think sexy, I think biblical. Garden of [name]Eden[/name], I guess. Is that what it was called? Iā€™m not very religious.

That being said, WOW. [name]Eden[/name] is a gorgeous name. It sounds like it could be a boy or a girlā€™s name, but is definitely more feminine than masuline. I really like it. Not a good thing, since I am trying to narrow down my own name choice! [name]Edie[/name] is a very nice nickname. Iā€™m sorry ā€“ I canā€™t get over [name]Eden[/name]. Really pretty.

I will have to say that since becoming a Mom to a new baby, the Isabelles, Isobels, Isabellas, etc have been crawling out of the woodwork. There are far too many. More popular than [name]Olivia[/name]. I think when they compile the 2010 list, [name]Isobelle[/name] etc. will really have jumped. Too bad. Gorgeous name.

Hmmm ā€“ update. [name]Eden[/name] [name]Prince[/name] sounds a bit like ā€œeatinā€™ princeā€ to me. Itā€™s so hard ā€“ I feel your painā€¦ I have a similar last name and itā€™s really tough not to make up sentences by accident.

[name]Hi[/name] again:) Yay! Found it! Couldnā€™t find my post last nightā€¦Of the above I love [name]Anabelle[/name]/[name]Carabelle[/name]/ and [name]Mirabelle[/name]. Knowing my DH- heā€™ll probably nix anything he considers a ā€˜made up nameā€™- ie, anything heā€™s never heard before. I think that will eliminate [name]Carabelle[/name]. As for the other two- Iā€™d be worried her nn would end up being [name]Anni[/name] while, with [name]Mirabelle[/name], I wonder if it sounds ā€˜tooā€™ exotic? Also, what do you think of just [name]Bella[/name] as a name? Or is the Twilight phenomenon too strong to go with ā€˜just [name]Bella[/name]ā€™?:slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! Sorry about my [name]Ruby[/name] confusion! Iā€™m with the program now. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Lucia[/name]! I also love [name]Eliana[/name], but I personally wouldnā€™t use a name ending in the ā€œon aā€ sound with your last name, [name]Prince[/name], because [name]Eliana[/name] ([name]El[/name]-ee-on-uh) [name]Prince[/name] sounds like ā€œ[name]Ellie[/name] on a princeā€ to me. (I think of someone named [name]Ellie[/name] sitting on a prince.) :slight_smile: That may just be me, though.

I do think [name]Isabella[/name] is a really beautiful name, but because Iā€™ve heard it so often (itā€™s the #2 name), I just liked some of your other names more. Also, [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Prince[/name] sounded like a question to me (ā€œIs a bell a prince?ā€), so thatā€™s why I voted for [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Vivienne[/name]. You may also like [name]Isabelle[/name]/[name]Isabel[/name].

My favorites are [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], and [name]Lucia[/name]! I love them all, and think theyā€™re really beautiful with [name]Rose[/name] and your last name! :slight_smile:

Some more you may like:

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Katia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] (I canā€™t remember if a [name]Rose[/name] name is a possibility for you up front)
[name]Viveca[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

Good luck! :-)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] again [name]Jill[/name]! So, I know youā€™ll be shocked- but Iā€™ve actually pitched quite a few of your suggestions to DH over the past few months and heā€™s shot them downā€¦Included were: [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Veronika[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Evelynne[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Anastasia[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name]! All of which I love. I also tried [name]Talia[/name]/[name]Natalia[/name], [name]Delia[/name],- oh- too many to count! Heā€™s a really tough cookie with VERY conservative tastes- and, yet, he wouldnā€™t go for [name]Elizabeth[/name]! Argh. Iā€™m getting frustrated. I have a feeling heā€™ll shoot down [name]Lucia[/name] as wellā€¦

That said, weā€™re trying to work with the four top picks- [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], and, probably, [name]Bella[/name] (though maybe from [name]Anabelle[/name] instead of [name]Isabella[/name]). They are all beautiful names- I just have to pick ONE- any suggestions on how to make that final choice?:slight_smile: Thank you for your input (again):slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] lilibet! Thanks for chiming in:) Yes, our exact problem was the sentence formation issueā€¦itā€™s the same thing with [name]Isabella[/name] (prince)? and some other beautiful names as well. I think we will have to drop [name]Eden[/name] from the list. It is a really beautiful name and I thought [name]Edie[/name] would have been a great nn! - sorry to add to your listā€¦As a new mom- have you noticed if the [name]Isabelle[/name]/as youā€™ve heard of went by [name]Bella[/name] or, predominantly, [name]Izzy[/name]? Weā€™re thinking of going with just [name]Bella[/name] but are worried this name (or nn) is also wayyyy too popular:(
Thanks again and good luck with your list!

Some more you may like:

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Katia[/name]
[name]Viveca[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

Good luck! :-)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] again [name]Jill[/name]! So, I know youā€™ll be shocked- but Iā€™ve actually pitched quite a few of your suggestions to DH over the past few months and heā€™s shot them downā€¦Included were: [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Veronika[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Evelynne[/name], [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Anastasia[/name], and [name]Genevieve[/name]! All of which I love. I also tried [name]Talia[/name]/[name]Natalia[/name], [name]Delia[/name],- oh- too many to count! Heā€™s a really tough cookie with VERY conservative tastes- and, yet, he wouldnā€™t go for [name]Elizabeth[/name]! Argh. Iā€™m getting frustrated. I have a feeling heā€™ll shoot down [name]Lucia[/name] as wellā€¦

That said, weā€™re trying to work with the four top picks- [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], and, probably, [name]Bella[/name] (though maybe from [name]Anabelle[/name] instead of [name]Isabella[/name]). They are all beautiful names- I just have to pick ONE- any suggestions on how to make that final choice?:slight_smile: Thank you for your input (again):)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! :slight_smile: Youā€™ve got a wonderful list, and I can see why you canā€™t narrow it down. :slight_smile: (Iā€™m sorry he didnā€™t like more of the names you loved, though!)

Iā€™m pronouncing [name]Anabelle[/name] as ā€œon-a-bell,ā€ and I thought Iā€™d mention that if she goes by [name]Ana[/name] for short (on-a), [name]Ana[/name] [name]Prince[/name] will sound like ā€œon a prince.ā€ You may also like [name]Annabel/name. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], and [name]Bella[/name] are all beautiful (as is [name]Anabelle[/name]), and my best advice is to pick the name you love the most! Choose the name that makes you the happiest! The name you love saying and writing over and overā€¦

People have listed some potential drawbacks of each name, but at the same time, something thatā€™s a drawback to someone else may not be an issue for you, and thatā€™s great!

I hope you go with your heart!

You could always write a list of your own pros and cons of both names, and eliminate names from there.

A poster a long time ago ([name]Orange[/name] Sunrise) shared her bracket technique with Nameberry (to eliminate names), and I thought you may like to read about what she did: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

Another poster a while back used a point system, with a similar idea. (Iā€™ll try to find itā€¦)

You could also always just wait until your baby girl is born to see which name fits her best! You may take one look at her and immediately know sheā€™s a [name]Vivienne[/name] (or whichever name fits). I think itā€™s great that you have so many finalists! :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know when youā€™re due, but I hope that youā€™ll come back and tell us what you chose! :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you have a favorite from your list?

Take care!

[name]Hi[/name]! Thanks for the great tips! I read the entire thread of posts for orange sunrise- it sounded like she was having a very similar name dilemma. Hubby very conservatove and more comfortable with common names, she looking for something a little more unusual yet still easy and beautiful. Iā€™m also trying to squeeze in the Russian/Jewish element while both DH and I are mindful of names our friends have already given their recently born daughters ([name]Isabel[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Abbigail[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Julia[/name], and [name]Laila[/name]). Couple that with names close family members have and then we eliminate any [name]Anna[/name] variations, anything [name]Lily[/name]-like and some other great ones. I initially was certain I wanted either [name]Noa[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name]- those were my two original (first) favorites! However [name]Noa[/name] very similar to [name]Nola[/name] (though not a deal-breaker) and then: ā€˜No a prince?ā€™- well, you get the pictureā€¦Of course then DH piped in that it was too Jewish and nixed [name]Sophia[/name] after several of his colleagues named their daighters that. since then, none of the names grab me as much. Whereas I loved both of those when I came up with them- most of the others since then Iā€™ve liked a lot but not LOVED. Unfortunately, I think if I go back to those two now- Iā€™ll probably second guess them to deathā€¦ I think the current choices have been the ones most liked by both of us.

Weā€™ve tried a point system, though I donā€™t know if itā€™s similar to the one the other poster had tried. thatā€™s actually how we arrived to the current contenders. I like the bracket system. At the risk of driving DH crazy- I may institute it.

Ultimately, I do want to go with my heart. My husband and I met in Tel [name]Aviv[/name]- so I actually wanted to make an anagram of that which resulted in Evvital. I thought- great! nn Evvi or [name]Tali[/name] (I considered dropping one V- that would somehow flow betterā€¦). Nope. DH scoffed at the invented name. I attempted a few other anagrams to no avail. Now Iā€™m truly trying to stick with what my heart says- but itā€™s quite difficult when weā€™ve gone through SO many names that they all start sounding pretty. Right now Iā€™m feeling she will be more of a [name]Vivienne[/name] than any of the others- I just picture a very spirited little girl with curly auburn hair and (most likely) brown eyes. Iā€™m due in [name]July[/name]- birthstone [name]Ruby[/name] (also my birthstone)- so this name does still pull both of us. Waiting til she arrives is worrisome for me- our track record with decisions under pressure isnā€™t great- so Iā€™d feel much better having made the decision prior to go time. That said, if we have to wait til the last second- then thatā€™s what will be:)

I adore the name [name]Vivian[/name]! That said, Iā€™m not really sure what to make of [name]Vivienne[/name]. When I see the French spelling, it makes me think you mean to pronounce in vi-vee-EN, emphasis on the final syllable (which, of course, maybe you do want to pronounce it that way?)

Personally, I prefer the pronunciation of [name]VIV[/name]-ee-en, which in turn I think is better spelled [name]Vivian[/name].

Itā€™s too bad that [name]Adessa[/name] isnā€™t in the running anymore, I thought it was such a pretty invented name. What about [name]Hadassah[/name] or Hadass, as an alternative? It has a similar sound and is also a Jewish name. But I also really love [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Rose[/name]; it flows nicely. Good luck with your decision!

Well, I did it again. I thought I could extend the poll time without affecting the resultsā€¦Not so! I inadvertantly deleted all of the previous poll results when I did that. GRRR! Note to self- all changes in poll related data = erased numbers! [name]Ah[/name], well. I did note that [name]Vivienne[/name] had a strong lead, then [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Eden[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], and [name]Isabella[/name] trailing last. As for DH and I- we are still stuck. I love Vivenne and [name]Ruby[/name], he loves [name]Emilia[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name]. Seems it should be easy enough to pick [name]Ruby[/name] but we both stall on that one for some reason. [name]Isabella[/name] is a name we both love but are worried about it being too popular at this time.

JLM- I do want to pronounce it the with the stress on the last syllable, though I think both pronunciations are lovely.

[name]Butterfly[/name]- I do still love [name]Adessa[/name] but it just seems too off the beaten track for DH to be comfy with it:(

Such a tough decision! Which name would best suit a spirited little girl with curly auburn hair and (most likely) big brown eyes?:slight_smile:

Another way to get to [name]Bella[/name] that I havenā€™t seen yet is [name]Christabel[/name]. It is a very old-fashioned rather than a made up name. There is a long, unfinished poem by [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] [name]Coleridge[/name] about a [name]Christabel[/name] and it is also the name of a character (from the 19th century) in A.S [name]Byatt[/name]'s novel Possession, which won the [name]Booker[/name] prize in 1990 or something like that

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Orange[/name] found a name, and you will, too. :slight_smile: [name]Don[/name]'t worry. :slight_smile: I love your finalists: [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], and [name]Ruby[/name]. You honestly canā€™t go wrong! You asked about dark hair, and while I can see all of the above with dark hair, for me, [name]Vivienne[/name] is the name that comes to mind first. Iā€™ll put [name]Emilia[/name] is second. With auburn hair, [name]Ruby[/name] seems perfect. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve never been to Tel [name]Aviv[/name], but I hope to go to [name]Israel[/name] sometime in the future. Itā€™s not an anagram, but have you considered [name]Aviva[/name], which contains [name]Aviv[/name]? (It sounds like your husband doesnā€™t want a Hebrew name, though.) And I know itā€™s pronounced differently, but one of your favorites, [name]Vivienne[/name] contains the ā€œvivā€ part of [name]Aviv[/name]. :slight_smile: Because [name]Aviv[/name] means spring (at least I think it does!), you could also go with a name associated with spring.

Like I said, I love all of your finalists! :slight_smile: Iā€™m happy youā€™re going to go with your heart. :slight_smile:

Take care!