Urgent help please: Twin baby names (ideas)

I am really stuck on choosing one of the following names for my little ones :joy:, even though the Twin Names: The Ultimate Guide | Nameberry has given me a lot of help:

[name_f]My[/name_f] wife and I would love to name one of our twin boys “Neo” (you know, “New”, and this little kid will be the first one to come out :slight_smile: ), in order to pair “Neo” we are struggling in selecting one of the following names:

[name_u]Max[/name_u]: I really love this one with “the greatest” meaning, but I heard this is usually for dogs… sigh. Is it true? What are the implications?
[name_u]Leo[/name_u]: This is a cool name as well, a “lion”, but I am worried about the less distinguishment between the pronunciations of “Neo” and “Leo”.
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]: This is a cool name too, with meaning of “the gift of god”, but it has 4 letters (one more than “Neo”).
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]: meaning of a “lion” as well, less favorite for us.

What do you think of them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

1 Like

I totally don’t think [name_u]Max[/name_u] is “for dogs,” personally! I’ve known way more humans named [name_u]Max[/name_u] than dogs! That’d be lovely with [name_u]Neo[/name_u]. Definitely my favorite from your list!!
More three-letter ideas…
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_u]Jet[/name_u]
[name_u]Sam[/name_u]
[name_m]Wes[/name_m]
[name_u]Cal[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_u]Fox[/name_u]
[name_u]Ren[/name_u]
[name_u]Wyn[/name_u]
[name_m]Hal[/name_m]
[name_u]Joe[/name_u]
[name_m]Jon[/name_m]
[name_m]Tim[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_m]Ben[/name_m]
[name_m]Mac[/name_m]

2 Likes

As much as I like Theo and Leo, they rhyme with Neo so I don’t think they’re usable.

Max is lovely though and even though it’s used on pets it’s also well and truly a human name so I’d ignore those comments. I know plenty of kids and adults named Max; it’s a strong, spunky name! My only concern personally would be that it’s much more common/traditional than Neo so they make a somewhat unexpected pairing. But that doesn’t necessarily matter.

Whilst I don’t personally love Ari I actually think it suits Neo best.

Some other ideas:

Neo & Fox
Neo & Atlas
Neo & Chet
Neo & Dash
Neo & Cyrus
Neo & Miro
Neo & Rex
Neo & Otis
Neo & Asa
Neo & Onyx
Neo & Idris
Neo & Jude
Neo & Kai
Neo & Dane
Neo & Elio
Neo & Odin
Neo & Xander
Neo & Milo
Neo & Quinn
Neo & Rafe
Neo & Apollo
Neo & Kit
Neo & Zephyr
Neo & Van
Neo & Soren

3 Likes

I definitely would not do rhyming names. It’s hard enough to be a twin as it is. Also of course it’s wonderful to be a twin (but not with rhyming names).

I like [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_u]Neo[/name_u] not so much.

4 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I love [name_u]Max[/name_u]! It’s short & spunky & sleek. [name_u]Perfect[/name_u] with [name_u]Neo[/name_u]. It’s a popular dog name, but it’s not only a dog name. It’s a human name that has caught on for dog parents. [name_u]Leo[/name_u] & [name_u]Theo[/name_u] are fun names too, but I wouldn’t rhyme twin names. That will just get annoying. I love love love [name_u]Ari[/name_u] (my sweet little kitty!), but if it’s not your favorite then I’d scrap it.

Sorry for any repeats, but here are a few other ideas-

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]

[name_u]Asa[/name_u]

[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]

[name_m]Bruno[/name_m]

[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]

[name_m]Enzo[/name_m]

[name_u]Ira[/name_u]

[name_m]Jaco[/name_m]

[name_u]Koa[/name_u]

[name_u]Kai[/name_u]

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

[name_u]Rex[/name_u]

[name_m]Zev[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think if you should do [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Neo[/name_u] if you don’t want the names to rhyme but if you don’t mind rhyming names do [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] as then it is less unlikely the names will get confuse because the start of the names are slightly different. But if you guys really like [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Leo[/name_u] go for it.

2 Likes

Echoing the above posters, Max is by no means a “dog name” but a little traditional next to Neo. Theo and Leo are both very close in sound to Neo (something to consider, especially if they’re identical), so my vote goes to Ari.

Other ideas:

Boaz
Lev (means “lion” in Russian and “heart” in Hebrew)
Pace / Ace
Ash
Tor
Vance
Dax
Bowie
Axl
Cy
Croix (pron. CROY in English) /
Jago (pron. JAY-go)
Rome
Cor
Blaze
Talon
Lux
Pax / Paz
Zed

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u], like others have said I would avoid rhyming names. You could do [name_u]Leon[/name_u] instead of [name_u]Leo[/name_u]? Unfortunately I can’t seem to get behind [name_u]Neo[/name_u], I think he will be surrounded by Theo’s and Leo’s and he might spend a lot of time correcting people.

Some more suggestions based on your list:

[name_u]Nico[/name_u]
[name_u]Asa[/name_u]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_u]Levi[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_u]Joey[/name_u]

1 Like

I don’t like the idea of using [name_u]Leo[/name_u] or [name_u]Theo[/name_u] with twin [name_u]Neo[/name_u]. It’s too matchy, and would probably be very confusing for everyone throughout their lives. Parents already mix up their kids’ names all the time, I can’t imagine trying to keep straight [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Leo[/name_u] or [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. Plus I think it could affect their individuality as they get older. I think you could maybe use [name_u]Leon[/name_u] or [name_u]Levi[/name_u] though.

I don’t think of [name_u]Max[/name_u] as purely a dog name. I know it is used for dogs often but it is also used for humans often. It’s sort of like the name [name_f]Bella[/name_f]. I don’t hear it and think “that’s a dog name” but I also wouldn’t be surprised to meet a dog with that name. Maybe you’d prefer [name_m]Mac[/name_m] / [name_u]Mack[/name_u]?

I like [name_u]Ari[/name_u] a lot and I think it goes well with [name_u]Neo[/name_u], but if you don’t love it, then don’t use it!

Other short 3-4 letter, nickname-y names you might like are:
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_u]Cal[/name_u]
[name_u]Cass[/name_u]
[name_m]Lenn[/name_m]
[name_u]Olly[/name_u]
[name_u]Dash[/name_u]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Koa[/name_u]
[name_u]Ace[/name_u]
[name_u]Lux[/name_u]
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]
[name_u]Cade[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]

3 Likes

[name_u]Neo[/name_u] is cool, kinda edgy.
Very similar to [name_u]Nico[/name_u] / [name_u]Niko[/name_u] which i think is equally as cool.

I’ll suggest…
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]
[name_u]Zion[/name_u]
[name_u]Jace[/name_u]
[name_m]Orrin[/name_m]
[name_u]Elon[/name_u]
[name_u]Zeke[/name_u]
[name_u]Maddox[/name_u]
[name_u]Axel[/name_u]
[name_m]Theon[/name_m]
[name_u]Ares[/name_u]
[name_m]Zade[/name_m]
[name_u]Koda[/name_u]
[name_u]Van[/name_u]
[name_u]Beck[/name_u]
[name_m]Alec[/name_m]
[name_u]Sal[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u]!

1 Like

I think the pair that goes best together without being too different from each other or too similar to each other would be [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

1 Like

Style wise, I think [name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] go together best. I also think [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Leo[/name_u] pair well.

1 Like

I’d eliminate [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] with [name_u]Neo[/name_u] -too rhymey and matchy.

[name_u]Max[/name_u] is great. I’ve met plenty of human Maxes

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] is nice too, but it seems like you like the others better.

[name_m]Ivo[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_m]Cap[/name_m]
[name_m]Kip[/name_m]
[name_u]Jet[/name_u]
[name_u]Pax[/name_u]
[name_m]Zac[/name_m]
[name_m]Mac[/name_m]
[name_m]Doc[/name_m]
[name_u]Tay[/name_u]
[name_m]Ike[/name_m]
[name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_f]Nox[/name_f]
[name_u]Tru[/name_u]

1 Like

I really don’t think [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] are usable for you at all sorry. Especially with twins, they already have less individuality than siblings and giving them practically the same name is only going to worsen that… and it won’t be cute forever.

I think naming twins should have the same rules as naming siblings: cohesive names with a similar style that are clearly distinct from one another.

That leaves [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] which are two names I absolutely love and have been on my shortlist for ages. To me, max absolutely can be a human name, I think I know exactly the same number of dogs with the names as humans (3 of each). While it’s not a dealbreaker (especially if it’s your favourite of the two names) I think that [name_u]Max[/name_u] is a more traditional name which doesn’t fit all that well with [name_u]Neo[/name_u].

[name_u]Ari[/name_u] I absolutely love as a twin to [name_u]Neo[/name_u]. I know two Ari’s (one boy and one girl) and they are both lovely people. To me the name is really strong but also soft. [name_m]Can[/name_m] you convince yourself of this name? If so, I really do think you should go for it. If not, go for max, the cons aren’t that bad especially if it means you get to use a name you love (and hopefully avoid name regret)

Good luck!

2 Likes

I like these 2 pairs
[name_u]Neo[/name_u] & [name_u]Ari[/name_u]
[name_u]Max[/name_u] & [name_u]Leo[/name_u]

1 Like

Love Neo & it’s meaning! Neo and Leo and Neo and Theo are too close to comfort for me. Love Max - It can be a dog’s name but is still very usable for a person IMO. Neo and Max sound like a great match. If you’re stuck on it, Pax might be a good option for you. Pax’s meaning is peace, I think “New” and “Peace” are wonderful meanings to have together. Dax is also a great option.

Others:
Neo and Zen
Neo and Eli
Neo and Rhys or Reese

Good luck!

3 Likes

I would definitely not do the rhyming names. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if your pronunciation is slightly different, many people pronounce them to rhyme, and that’s too matchy and confusing.

I think [name_u]Ari[/name_u] is really perfect with [name_u]Neo[/name_u]!

But if you’re looking for other suggestions, maybe [name_m]Egan[/name_m] or [name_u]Kai[/name_u]?

1 Like

I have known plenty of humans named [name_u]Max[/name_u], so no issue there. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite with [name_u]Neo[/name_u] is [name_u]Ari[/name_u].

[name_u]Neo[/name_u] is cool, but in my opinion it rules out both [name_u]Leo[/name_u] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. Rhyming names are actually discouraged for twins because it can make it harder for people to tell them apart and for each to develop their own identity.
So that leaves us with [name_u]Max[/name_u] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u]. I think either of these would be a great brother to [name_u]Neo[/name_u]. I don’t think of [name_u]Max[/name_u] as a dog name at all—I know it has been used on dogs, but it was and is a human name, it’s not like Spot! I also know someone named [name_u]Max[/name_u] and this has never been a problem for him! I really like [name_u]Ari[/name_u] as well, but since you seem to prefer it less I’d say go for…
[name_u]Neo[/name_u] and [name_u]Max[/name_u]!
(Leo and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] are my runner up choices)
Congrats, I hope this helps you find the perfect pair of names!