USA: how is Victor perceived?

My husband is thinking that it’s mainly used by the Hispanic community, and worried that it is now too low in popularity and seen as an older name, is that yout impression?
Berries from the US, how do you perceive that name today? Thank you!

For context, I live in an area with a large Hispanic community, and all of the Victors I personally know or know of are Hispanic, varying in ages. But, my main association is Victor Newman from The Young and the Restless, and that’s honesty what I think of most. It feels more like an old money name to an old man name imo, and I could see just about anyone wearing it well.

3 Likes

Latino here!

Víctor is used in Hispanic communities decently well but Víctor is very multicultural to me. I wouldn’t assume a Víctor is Hispanic just by seeing the first name (unlike some other names similar to Víctor like [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] or Hector). [name_m]Victor[/name_m] actually feels very dark academia to me, a tad old mannish but in a classic way. Very buttoned up and classy but charming and sweet

7 Likes

[name_u]Southern[/name_u] US here. [name_m]Victor[/name_m] is a classic that is not exclusively associated with the Hispanic community. In fact, none of the Victors I’ve known were Hispanic lol. I think it is perceived as a handsome and distinguished name and transcends any particular time period.

3 Likes

The Victors I’ve known are all Hispanic, but I didn’t even think of that until you asked about it. I definitely wouldn’t assume that a [name_m]Victor[/name_m] is Hispanic, just by seeing the name.

I like what a previous commenter said about “old money” - there’s a distinguished, established feel to [name_m]Victor[/name_m].

(I’m in the Midwest.)

1 Like

Midwestern US here. [name_f]My[/name_f] town has a fairly large Hispanic community but I don’t think I’ve really heard that around here. I moreso associate [name_m]Victor[/name_m] with that “old money” world others mentioned. It does feel a bit cold and distant to me but I think it is a perfectly usable name overall.

1 Like

Midwest/moved to [name_u]East[/name_u] [name_u]Coast[/name_u] and in both places I would assume [name_m]Victor[/name_m] (I’ve worked with/around Hispanic communities before and never met a Victor) was either of European or Russian descent honestly. It’s an older name but it’s an older name that is not only fresh but exudes both confidence and handsomeness IMO.

1 Like

Honestly I associate it more with Russians, not really sure why since I’ve never met a Russian [name_m]Victor[/name_m]. But it certainly wouldn’t feel out of place on an American, like at all, most everyone I’ve met with the name has been a white American. To me it’s a very classic, timeless name that feels natural on any age group (and as others have said multicultural).

2 Likes

I live in a majority Hispanic community in the US, and I wouldn’t assume an age or ethnicity if I heard the name [name_m]Victor[/name_m]. (I only know one person with the name—he’s Hispanic and in his twenties.)

[name_f]My[/name_f] immediate association is [name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]!

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Victor[/name_m] is a handsome name, old fashioned but cute for a little boy. I’m not Hispanic and it’s my dad’s name lol. So, because of my family, I associate it with kind of country cowboy folk haha… but it does give me dark academia vibes.

1 Like

[name_u]Southern[/name_u] US non Hispanic
I have a twenty something cousin named [name_m]Victor[/name_m], and I like his name. I liked that his parents gave him a unique name when he was born, but I didn’t see it as that unique. I don’t see it as belonging to a specific culture. Rather I see it as fitting in well with a lot of different cultures.

1 Like

I have lived in the US my whole life, having resided in eight states (in all US regions except the Southeast).

Personally, I have known many Victors. All of them have been Hispanic. When I hear the name [name_m]Victor[/name_m], I assume it is the name of a Hispanic male.

However, if I see the name [name_m]Viktor[/name_m], I assume it is the name of someone whose parents are from eastern Europe.

This doesn’t mean that Victor/Viktor cannot work on a non-Hispanic or non-eastern European American, but those are just my affiliations with the name.

2 Likes

When I think of the name Victor, I think of the Ashkenazi Jewish immigrants in the early 20th century. This is probably because I have read the Rebecca Rubin books and I don’t know any Victors or Viktors in real life.

I have never thought of [name_m]Victor[/name_m] as a Hispanic name, but I am from USA and the ones that I have met are either foreign or were of Italian descent. It probably just depends on which region you are in